Forums > Help! > Question about organising spinning meets and such

Login/Join to Participate

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I'm looking into organising a monthly meet for us highlanders, and I was wondering how I'd go about it.
At the moment I meet up with some schoolgirls every weds as the local theatre group runs a poi workshop. but being several years older than these girls makes it kinda hard, plus the fact I cant go to the pub on my own afterwards.
I know I will need a venue to spin at, plus an alternate if the weather is unfriendly. As there will only three I know being up here, it will be very friendly and informal.
oh yeah my question is-
What else would I need to look into? advice, hints and tips accepted. (also money, but now i'm just being greedy haha)
Thanks in advance,
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Tinklepants biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
umm
ubbidea
A convenient time and day is useful...

Look into the posibility of getting funding from your local council. If its a open to everyone activity, then I think you should be able to get funds.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Offer nakedness.

Generally that draws in a crowd.

biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and cake.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm......cake. smile

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
I'd suggest getting an online community up as well - perhaps a yahoo group or something similar. something the 'online types' can receive updates through their emails, post pictures, etc. Anything which helps to establish a sense of community is going to help - you want everyone getting to know eachother and feeling welcome. smile

definately check with the council, but give them good reasons to support you~ ie - drugs/drinking restrictions, with more emphasis on a friendly, something younger kids can come along to kind of thing as well.

and have plenty of smiles ready smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
There is already a group which I spin in, run by the local theatre group, but i'm the only adult who attends (not counting the girl who runs the group and a few mums who pop along to be spotters).
I just want an informal gathering of adults, so we can get sozzled afterwards (and so i dont have to watch my language ubblol)

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Is there no juggling club up there? If there isn't then it might be an idea to open it up to all circus arts, as more people would be likly to be interested. From my own experience, these things are very difficult to hold together unless you have about 5 very intersted and keen, and dedicated people, who will come without fail, every week, and then lots of others interested too on top of that. These things are quite difficult to get established. If the weathers as bad there as it is in Glasgow, then you'll definately need an indoor venue, best option is one with a safe outdoor space too so if the weather is good, there is a safe enviroment for fire toys, or just normal ones.

Although you want an informal gathering, if you want it to be a long-lasting regular thing unfortunately, it will need properlly organising. Although the atmosphere at the club may be very informal, and you may all go to the pub after, it will still need to be a set in stone thing, to get people to come.

You should try advertising locally, putting flyers in any relavent shops (espcially if you have any shops that sell juggling equiptment), visiting the local uni to advertise there (if there is one in Inverness- Sorry I don't know), and posting on all the popular juggling sites (here would be a good place to start).

Also think about getting equiptment there that people can borrow if they don't have their own. This maybe a problem at the start money wise though, I would say you couldn't charge anymore than £3 a week, preferbly no more than £2.

Anyway, sorry thats a bit of a long post. It will be hard at the start, but if you can get something up and running then it would be well worth it. (Do you have any nice freinds who would be willing to help out?)

Good Luck!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: UnbeatenChampionOfFighting

and cake.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm......cake. smile

Works wonders biggrin

You'll need the ability to get information to lots of people. Be prepared for your mobly credit to get rinsed

Like said, suitable day/time.

Spinoutside is weather is lovely, but seeing as you live oop north..a community/church hall might be a better idea smile
EDITED_BY: *Aimée* (1132076228)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
And dont invite a bunch of stoner slackers. ubblol

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Tink, I suggest confiscating any lego from people who've said they'd come smile

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
ok - like everyone already said, a regular time/place is the first thing.

finding someone else who wants to help run it is good. they can go halves on phone bills, stress and organising people.

try not to get discouraged when people arent thankful for what you're trying to do. in some cases people are actually rude to us for our efforts - even though we're trying to make their spinning lives easier.

prepare for super-rinsage of credit. when you've developed a base of regulars, make a phone tree in case something is cancelled. (yeah we havent managed that yet and we've had regulars since um the beginning of last year)

in our experience its been pretty difficult to find a decent hall - remember to check how high the ceilings are!

flyers are a good idea, if you're renting a hall work out the minimum amount of people and how much money you'll need to charge them each week to make it work. PUT THAT ON THE FLYER, then they can't argue. invest any excess money in toys. make sure that any financial stuff is written down, especially if you dont know the other spinners well. also another good reason to have a partner - you can vouch for each other.

if and when you can afford it, have some cards made with your details on. that way, if you see a random spinner/juggler you can give them a card and tell them about the spin.

i think you've probably got an advantage in that you're trying to get something official from the get go, whereas we were informal and encountered a fair bit of resistance when we tried to make things actually work. to the point where we don't even have a proper spin at the moment (mainly due to hibernation).

i think that covers it. if people want to disagree feel free but these are the problems/issues aimee and i have uncovered over the past year. xx

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Dont forget to offer a free hat

Free hat! Free hat! Free hat!

Non-Https Image Link

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I loved that episode biggrin

Nudity, cake, and hat.

I'm there. wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
do you want it to be more of a social thing or more organised.

the manchester meets are a bit eratic but usualy well atended no offical teaching as such but lost of chatting spinning pubing usualy cake eating and all sorts of stuff.

we started it on hear then it just grew to involve loads on non hoppers

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)