Forums > Social Chat > anyone know how traditional poi is made?

Login/Join to Participate

De_Fragmember
26 posts

Posted:
Anyone know what materials and methods traditional Maori poi were made with?As far as I know, flax rope, peat moss weight, but what was that wrapped with?-ryan

rw

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I posted this somewhere else but I can't remember where?https://www.geocities.com/jshorten_934/nz/poi.htmThis site shows you how to make temari poi. However the traditional poi used to be wrapped with a taniko weave.("Te Whaka Taniko: Taniko Weaving" Technique and Tradition. By Hirini Moko Mead)Also check out:https://users.rcn.com/b.katcher/poi.htmlfor more infor on how to make poi.Kat

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

De_Fragmember
26 posts

Posted:
Thanks very much! I love the pic with the cabbage patch doll! it's great. The Maori costume reminds me of traditional Native American and even Mexican clothes (probably just because I'm closer to that area). I'll have to find out how taniko weaving is done!I haven't heard of Temari before. I'll be trying to find more about that now, too.. And the history and speculation is really interesting.I'd still like to know the entire traditional process of making poi. How is flax harvested and prepared? How heavy are they, and what's used as the weight (is it really peat moss?)? And what's that wrapped in? How is everything attached together?I think the modern plastic-bag poi are a great solution for recycling, and a pretty harmless toy for kids. Eventually it'd be fun to make a short pair, and go about learning to do the percussion off-the-body stuff.-ryan

rw

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
There are course in NZ where you can learn taniko weaving, but that's not much help in the US. Do a search on the web there might be some good instruction book available.Also check out the book on Poi that Malcom sells in the shop. I haven't read it but I'm sure he would recommend it to you as a good source of info.Kat

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats