Forums > Help! > Anyone in SW England like hedgehogs?

Login/Join to Participate

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
More precisely the Bristol area.... too many hogs not enough carers...aww cmon, think of the poor spikey orphans ubbcrying

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Prehaps a few more details?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
*wanders in*

Huh? What?

*looks confused and sidles out again*
confused

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Okay, details as in what's involved?
A hutch, daily feeding and weighing at the least, but indoor space would be better as lots are too small to survive the cold.

Details as in where... if u can come 2 Bris and pick them up it don't matter where you are.
Official stuff- Hedgehog Rescue is supported by N.A.S.S.L a registered charity.

Need to know more?

XLenX

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
And you get the fleas for free, right? Aren't hedgehogs wild animals, hybernating etc, survided this long without our help? Yeah, what is this all about?

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
ditto ish

Although I guess in the wild previously they didn't ahve to worry about being run over by cars or mangled by machinary. Or burnt on guy fawkes bonfires which they thought looked like a nice place to snooze.

May be interested. Need more info than that. Also I with Firetramp on the fleas thing eek
How long do you need to look after the little spiky critters for?

Boo x

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
weighing? umm

Me being me, I'd suggest that you lert nature run its course.
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1131542724)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
is there a website to read more, or a person to contact. I think people need a bit more researched info to take on a hedgehog for the winter, i know i do.

Gayle.....!

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Oookaay... *takes deep breath* the whole thing about letting nature take it's course, and haven't they survived this long with out us stuff- actually no, they are not surviving whiich is why organisations like HR exsist. In england they are one of very few native species and are in serious decline (due to humans) they are not protected either, like Badgers for example, so they need extra help. Yes, it is a sad fact that in nature any babes born late July onwards will never make it through the first winter. Hedgehogs lose about a third of their body weight in hibernation, so any under about 600g will fall asleep and never wake up. When you add to this other sad statistics, like 1 in 5 die in the nest, and over half don't survive beyond their first year ( I keep typoing first as fist. How inappropriate.) you can see why much needs to be done to prevent them dying out completely.
Many of the rescue cases have nothing to do with nature anyway. I was called to fetch one the other day, and was told there had been 2, but some kids had dropped a breeze block on the other one. I have also had 2 rescued from hedgie football, and one from hedgie golf recently. Could I let "nature" like this "run it's course"? Could you??
For those of you who are interested, I would suggest visiting
https://www.hedgehg.dircon.co.uk/hedgehogs
(can I put websites up in here?)

This site is extremely informative, Kays' book is like a bible to me. Be warned though it tells it like it is, nothing is dressed up for you.

At this time of year the main problem is a shortage of fosterers- to do this you are simply taking in a hog that is too small, and keeping it warm so it doesn't hibernate. In a mild winter they could be released once up to weight. Otherwise you would be looking at release in the spring.

Look at Kays' site and if you are still interested let me know here and I will give you the relevant contact numbers...
Thanks everybody who has taken the time to read this, sorry it's soooooo long
XLenX

XLenX

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Didnt Darwin say something about survival of the fittest? biggrin

wink

Whats teh best thing to feed hedgehogs on anyway? I keep hearing contrasting things about wether or not bread and milk is good for them.
I know they eat earthworms, but at the moment, I cant get any from the pet shop.
Do they drink beer?

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Uh, probably would drink beer. Best not to offer tho....
Bread + milk is bad. They are lactose intolerant, and if sick already the subsequent tummy upset can finish them off. Cat or dog food ( not fish flavours) wet or dry and water is best.
I agree in part about the survival of the fittest- believe me I have had many tough moral descisions to make... but ultimately, if they can have a good quality of life and contribute to the population they have to be helped for the good of the species as a whole.
Oh and you can buy mealworms from some pet shops. They are disgusting tho. And they bite. Birds like them too...
XLenX

XLenX

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
How can you prove you are a human who wants to help look after genuine disadvantaged hedgehogs, instead of an actual hedgehog simply looking for some sucker to take you and your friends in over the cold winter and spend their hard earned pennies on keeping you warm?

wink

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
UCOF, ubblol!!
Shouldn't they be hibernating through winter? Why do they need feeding if they're asleep? Won't it just wake them up?
Are they irritable when they've been woken up? I know I am.

Haven't seen a live hedgehog since I was a kid.
frown

How adorable are they?!

Non-Https Image Link

Cute spiky little snuffly-critters smile

Boo x

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Aww. I used to be like that-NO I MEAN *ahem* I've looked after many a babe like dat.
Anyways Boo pay attention hibernation is a death sentence for diddies, hence the keeping warm and feeding.
Unless they're like me. Bugger UCOF you've rumbled me.
Still looking tho....

XLenX

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
I am sorely tempted. Much to my fiance's changrin.

I need to know though, why exactly are we saving hedgehogs? (Not that I wouldn't love to - any excuse!) - How endangered are they? Why exactly? What has made things worse over the last few years that's made them more endangered now? Any links you could pop up to expalin this with some facts and figures would be good (I know you gave one link, any others to give a balanced perspective?)

So, you rescue them (I assume they're always little ones? - hoglets - how cute a name is that!?) Pop them in a hutch - where should I keep the hutch? Will it be smelly?! Weigh and feed them daily. Yes so far?

Do they need more attention than a daily weigh and feed?

How long to you keep them for?

Where do you then release them, and when?

Where do you keep the box they're in?

Do you work for a shelter or something?

Answers!!! I need Answers!!

Boo x

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Oh boy, answers... let it be known I find this typing lark very tiring, being a hedgehog and all wink

Links- the best advice i can give here is do a search, like "hedgehog + rescue" or "caring + hedgehogs", "overwintering" may be a good word to add. Some of the sites I found most helpful when I started no longer exist due to the fact most of us have no extra time/money. Idid all my initial research on the internet. I had no knowledge of hedgehogs whatsoever. Whether you'll find reasons for NOT saving hedgehogs I don't know. I have never needed to look for that one. Ignore the Uist culling stuff, it is irrelevant to us down here.

Why?- If those of us that do it didn't who would? (u get me??)

How endangered?- Don't know how they rate these things, but they are officially "declining".

Why?- People: arable farming, cars, cruelty, destruction of habitats, poisons, strimmers, ponds, uncovered drains, concrete gardens...
Other reasons: predators (mostly badgers/foxes) lack of food/water.

Always littlies?- No. Injuries, sickness, family relocation, single relocation are all other reasons for rescue. Right now underweight hogs are a problem for carers because they take up hospital space as they are unable to be kept outside.

Hutch?- yes, or indoor rabbit cage type thing. Hedgehog rescue can lend carers equipment.

Where?- If hog is underweight, must be heated room, or on heatpad in shed or summat. If hog is able to hibernate and being fostered for other reasons, outdoors is fine.

Smell?- er, can't really lie about this one. Y'know cat food- its about 3 times as bad after it's been through a hog. The smaller they are the less they pong, but some are worse than others. Keep em as clean as you can and shouldn't be a problem if u just got the one.

What care?- Feeding and weighing goes with all cases. Some smaller ones like a heatpad. Depending on the individual, sometimes medication. If they are releasable you need to be as hands off as pos, so you leave them to it really.

How long?-....is a piece of string... until ready to return to wild, if conditions allow.

Where and when?- You need to asses the risks here. really they SHOULD go back more or less where they came from, as they will have natural resistance to the local diseases/parasites. However, they can turn up in really stoopid places, and there is really no point doin it if you are going to return them to a situation of impending death... do a search on suitable release sites.. also Kay Bullen (the website I said before) I'm sure says something , she has a book by the was, availeble from the British Hedgehog Preservation Society- Ooh sorry forgot! there's a good site to look at
www.software-technics.co.uk
try this one too
www.bwrc.org.uk

Do I work for a shelter- Not reeeaally... I am a carer for Hedgehog Rescue ( an organisation affilliated to N.A.S.S.L ( national animal sanctuary support leage)) Which is run by Yvonne Cox in Yate. You find a hog, look her up in phone book, she asks where you are, and then gives you contacts for carers in your area.

Why am I looking for carers not her? Because she is always so snowed under she doesn't have time. Anyways we are all full and a bit desperate now. I have had to reduce the numbers I can take cos kids have got in my garden (over a 7 foot fence the c censoreds) and stolen/let out animals. Needless to say I do NOT release in this area anymore.

About the boyf- none of our husbands/blokes exactly approve at times ( I think this must be a girl thing) but mine recently volunteered to look after a part paralysed hog for me while I was away recently, and no-one was more chuffed than him when she started to regain mobility. Now she is totally recovered minus tail. I thought she'd be a PTS amazing!!
XLenX

XLenX

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Why save hedghogs?

Well if you dont you will be guilty of hurting this fellow!

Non-Https Image Link

Now go out there, and be the best dam hedgehog rescuers you can be!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hey look!
Its a stoned hedgehog.... biggrin

*groan*

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
rolleyes arf. sort of.

XLenX

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
I would love to look after a hedgehog for you, but unfortunately I am a bit far away (and live in a flat - although that's a minor problem). frown

Hedgehogs are fab, every time we went on holiday as kids we'd come back after 2 weeks to an overgrown garden which always had a resident hedgehog. Snuffle snuffle.

Oh, and they're brilliant for gardeners cos they eat slugs! If you have a garden, rake all the leabes into a pile at the bottom and leave them - great place for hedgehogs to hibernate.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Katp, flat not necessarily a prob. If u serious about wanting to do it contact your local rescues- there are almost always too many animals. If not hedgehogs maybe....something else..who knows, worth asking.

XLenX