Page:
Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
given that i have posted a few topics here, i thought it was time to share something: (and for the record, i no longer give a damn. sharing information or a view or an opinion too often has turned into a pissing match for me to care anymore.)
i have had an epiphany: if you post something in the HoP social discussion forum, get ready for a pissing match. at least if you're like me, and don't put your entire performance(spinning, practice, whatever) history in each post. there will be two, maybe three people with helpful input or insight, and the rest will nitpick you, or be contrary for the sake of being contrary...not even a legitimate debate. just try posting something about fire breathing, and you'll get my point. one or two will have some useful input, and the rest will either say, "don't do it!" or state the same thing found every time you click the link that fire breathing automatically becomes every time you type it. to be honest, i am about sick of the people who say that.
i am also sick of having things read into what i say, such as emotions...(like can you tell i am laughing as i type this? even with an emoticon, would you believe me?) and if you are one of these persons who does, too bad. try asking me what my tone is, rather than assuming.
but this thread is going to degenerate into the exact same pissing match as so many others have become in the past, isn't it?
which proves to the positive that it doesn't really matter what you say or post here, it all degenerates into a gripe/nitpicking fest.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frederick the Reckless

Long Time Coming: again, i say that agreeing is fine, so long as the agreement is explained at least to a minimum, otherwise it's just agreement for the sake of agreeing...

Editted for truth

wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

241 posts

Posted:
actually, both versions are true, Kael... after all, even if you agree, there should be some explanation to go with it.
if you disagree, though, i truly think it's nice to at least know why. for all you know you may give me some info i had not known before, and affect my original stance on an issue...

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
--------------------------------

Hi Frederick.

As mentioned by One Wheel Dave (and its not often OWD and I agree), if you ever think your thread is being hijacked or you are being personally attacked for any reason at al, please use the "notifiy moderator" button. This is the triangle with an exclamation mark at the bottom of each post.

However, there are a number of ways to post which are more likely to result in discussion than other ways of posting.

The general way to do that is to read this link in full every now and then... Rules

By staying within those guidelines Home of Poi will be a wonderful place to discuss learn and share in the community.

If you feel someone else isn't staying within those guidelines, please let us know and we will review the thread ourselves... :-)

Does that help?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I'd just like to thank everyone who has constructively contributed to this thread. I was concerned when I got the "notify mod" thingy, however you guys have responded to Frederick in a more positive, thorough, patient & compassionate way than I would have anticipated. *pats everyone on the back*

HOP is one of the nicest places on the internet - I'm not saying this because I am bias, I am saying this because members, old & new, frequently remind us of this fact (or is it an opinion?? :P ). Sure, there are altercations here and there, but everything always works out, especially when people refrain from emotive, reactionary responses and utilise their commonsense when dissecting another member's post.

Like Charles said, you are welcome to Notify Mods any time you feel a situation would be better resolved by an objective guide. Us mods do it too - if we feel we are too emotionally involved in a situation, we ask a different mod to handle it...

Anyway, Frederick, I hope you can come to peace with the way these forums operate.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
HoP is the tempestuous lover that you may have to leave alone for a day or two while you both cool down. then you'll have renewed vigour should the need arise to throw the dishes at her again.

the emotional enviroment we live in is often the product of the impression we give to others. smile, and the world smiles back, but not a freaky, dark-city kinda way.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hug for bender

biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

241 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

Anyway, Frederick, I hope you can come to peace with the way these forums operate.

Workin' on it... poodle juggling, anyone?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well Fred I can certainly be called "guilty as charged" when it comes to firebreathing and I review my last post on the question "what fuel do I have to use?"

As to your post Sethis (on 9/11) -

Written by: Sethis

Basically, HoP seems to be one of the best online communities I've ever found, in terms of the friendliness, tolerance, politeness and humour of the people.

I can't really follow up on this - hence I sure have not as much experience in forums as (say maybe) most of the members in here. But I certainly agree on the "1%-figure" you put on.

Personally I commit myself to not write as quick replies to threads in the future. These (as basically any comment) only reflect the present mindstate someone is in...

But this also takes away the momentum of a dynamic debate - so all I need is a thicker skin, a higher level of ignorance and a change in attitude... shrug

Pretty easy solution, huh? wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

janiceBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
there are a few attitudes you will find that are universal in all forums. one) there is always one person who feels that they are correct and everyone else is merely stupid if they don't agree. two) the peace makers.

i haven't been around here for too long but so far what i have seen and the way my opinions have been responded to have been a pleasant exchange. "newbie" is a term i have come to hate as it is seems to be used as an insult rather than a hello. here you don't see that so much, " new" people are generally accepted as what they are and that is new people with new ideas and new opinions. after having a message board online myself for the last three years i think i have seen more than my fair share of people i'd rather shoot than talk to but also some great friendships have been made. one thing people always seem to forget is that some responses aren't because they hate you personally but rather due to a strong opinion on how they feel about something. yes there are always people that are always correct about everything because they have been there done that and are perfect * coughs* we can always agree to dissagree and move onto the next remark. debates about religion, child raising and any point on depression will always be unresolved but fun to debate!! as long as it is seen as what it is.... a conversation! me personally i have been known to say what is on my mind, which hasn't always gone over well as i can be very opinionated but my intent is not to insult but rather to comment on how i feel. if you find people are going off on your topic there are ways to nudge them back in the right direction. ya well i turn on bitch mode at times and it isn't always right cause then i may not get my thoughts spewed out correctly. i have no problem going back and saying hey i am sorry i was a dork. most people here seem to do that also. so relax enjoy and don't get caught up in thinking that things that are commeted on are fired right back at you. it could very well be it was meant with a different tone of voice behind it. if in doubt ask before you truely get pissed of at people.

Tom
But this also takes away the momentum of a dynamic debate - so all I need is a thicker skin, a higher level of ignorance and a change in attitude... <<< say what you have to say, keep your point of views and say it!

in goth we trust

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I get what you're saying janice, hence I have a hard time sometimes knowing that all what I was trying to get across was misunderstood and some twilightzonely spotlight put on it... shrug

And I dislike the attitude "j'excuse j'accuse" of some (meaning "who excuses accuses onesself"...) rolleyes

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
MCP's a girl?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
umm
Wheres that from?

the answer is yes anyway smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

MCP's a girl?

I think that's one of those "Don't ask, Don't tell" kind of things.

ubblol

wink

hug

[On topic]

I get frustrated by online communities also. But sometimes it's nice to be reminded that the world is a lonely, cold, angry place and that 99.9% of the people will violently disagree with you about anything and everything that they can.

It makes it so much nicer when you get offline. Which is where I'm headed right now.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
WTF just happened? WTF? ubbloco

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

janiceBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:

NYC

I get frustrated by online communities also. But sometimes it's nice to be reminded that the world is a lonely, cold, angry place and that 99.9% of the people will violently disagree with you about anything and everything that they can.

It makes it so much nicer when you get offline. Which is where I'm headed right now.

i think many people are much bolder in forums to a point where they are not like that in person. say what you want cuz it is merely a computer so being the "tuff" person is an easy thing to be. that is not to say everyone is like that. for some i'd say this is the only part that offers them a bit of peace in their day.

EDITED_BY: janice (1136776757)

in goth we trust

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

WTF just happened? WTF? ubbloco

I just found out you were a girl...

After a year and a half or so...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frederick the Reckless

there will be two, maybe three people with helpful input or insight, and the rest will nitpick you, or be contrary for the sake of being contrary...not even a legitimate debate.

dunno about nitpickin, but I know (to use your example, wanting to know about firebreathing), that all of a sudden people start discussing the use/lessness of herbal toothpaste and which drugstore seels it quite cheap - and people find it fully legitimate to discuss (in a firebreathing thread) about whether or not walmart is able to make those good offers in it's stores because they employ illegal workers on their sites and whether or not the tasmanian tiger was extinct for a bad reason... umm

really if the discussion has gone offtopic and just for the sake of seing what happens when you pull your own finger... what to do shrug confused

I find this in a quite large number of threads shrug either peoples' heads have gotten stuck in their billabong or missed the point completely... ubbloco

wink biggrin

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Firetom, have you ever tried pulling your own finger? Do it now, I want to see if you learn anything.

Done it?

ubblol I made you pull your own finger... ubblol

ubbangel wink biggrin

(Yes I know it's off topic, I'm trying to prove something...)

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Page: