Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Anyone else here interested in using staff's in combat?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Recently i've gotten into Jo staffs. as currect I own a 4ft red oak Jo staff, anyone else interested in combat with staff's here?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol

you cad... .... have it, you bounder....

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
ubblol yeah, not quite like that wink
more men with big beards hewing limbs all over the shop
*rarrrrrrrrr* i'm a viking! *grrrrrrr* *ahem*

hi, yeah, i'd like my coat please?

taxi?

*produces sandwich- is happy*

PyrohymirSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
I think it's about time Iclear up a few things here.

Escrima is the name of the sticks.
Kali is short for Kali Sikaran, wich is an filipinian martial arts. It involves:
-Knives (Daga)
-Close combat (Kadena de Mano)
-Stickfighting (Escrima)
-Filipinian Kickboxing (Sikaran)
-Boxing (Panantukan).

So there you have it.

It's your Hell. YOU burn in it. I'll just burn here...
I put the sensual back into non-consensual!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Pyro,
There are several other styles/systems of Kali/Arnis/Eskrima. Sikaran is just one of them. There seems to be as many styles as there are Masters.
Cheers!
Patrick

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
For combat, how about LARP weapons? They're designed for semi contact fighting, are made from high density rubber around a carbonfibre or plastic core, covered in sculpted latex, and are what I use on a regular basis.

Eldritch do a good selection of staves up to 6', but they are fairly expensive. Check it out!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know of anyone who does that in New Zealand, or better still in the South Island? Sounds really cool and after having played soul caliber 3 I'm even more entranced with the idea of staff combat (kilik would be part of the inspiration)

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
we do that sort of contact stuff up here in pukekohe!

lamadorjenewbie
1 post

Posted:
Most stick fighting is done by Filipino martial arts nowadays.
If you are in Melbourne, try out John Chow who teaches Tai Chi and Arnis / Eskrima (Kalis Ilustrisimo). He also teaches staff that is a combination of Chinese and Filipino martial arts.

LilBBoySILVER Member
Discoverer of Rainbow Cheese
143 posts

Posted:
Hey there! Yeah, I am. I did Tang Soo Do (South Korean form of karate) for 8/9 years and got my black belt, and earned the title of British Champion with bo staff. Learning that has really benefitted me as I have just started fire staff!

Time does not exist. In theory, everything with a beginning has an end. Therefore, only things with an end can have a beginning. As time has no end, it has no beginning, therefore does not exist. GO PHILOSOPHY!!!
Brittle Week was the shizz!!!

omega117Member
3 posts

Posted:
Tang Soo Do is TKD not karate, eskrima and kali are in essence the same thing but as has been said before from differant areas and with slightly differant philosophies and training techniques and weapons used.

I personally like the okinowan bo techniques when used for fire staff fighting, the techniques more closely resemble natural movements and are easy to adapt to a staff which is on fire.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

We've had a fire staff combat component in comercial fire shows for the last two years now, based around jo and bo staff, semi to full contact two and three person sets, just starting to look into three section fire staff applications.

mark

fireinspiredBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
hello thumperabbit, i am very into martial arts, i have recently got my black bely in karate and i occasionaly attend aiki jujitsu classes in which we do weapon training. What kind of combat ur interested in. if ur interested in choreographed fighting then this isnt your thing but if ur interested in the battle field art side of things and learning real combat skills then u shud look for something like that. we train mainly with jo staffs and bokken. wot is it uve been doin with your jo. interestingly enough, spinning the jo is somewhat frowned upon in our martial arts classes, so not a great link to fire spinning.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
LARP weapons, oh well, I guess I've got to out myself as King of Geeks, hope this info's useful.

Drudwyn: Eldrich (Used to be Cloak & Dagger, used to be Labyrinthe) are IMHO some of the worst LARP weapons I've ever used.
It's worth paying the extra and buying from Darren Stocker at Wandering soldier (almost indestructable weapons, if you can find him) or paying a lot more and getting a real piece of art from Graham at Tallows FX (the professional service, and aftercare are second to none and in 15 years I've seen a lot.)

Point Blank: Try the Diatribe forums for the nearest game near you. Look for Ryan Paddy, he imports latex weapons of middling quality and extortionate price, but as far as I know, they are the only latex ones in New Zealand, so far.
Also, look out for Terry & Helen Graham in the next two years. They're moving to NZ to build a role-play specific village. They run what are arguably the best events in the UK.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
I ubblove geeks!

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
King of Geeks says: The Geek will inherit the earth.

Now I must change back to my secret identity, or I will decend into rants on PvP, the phantom menace, or homestarrunner. Quick, to the Geekcave!

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

shaySILVER Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
check this out:

Zolgar_the_InsaneSILVER Member
22 posts

Posted:
If anyone does that in Tucson (hah!) I'd love an opponent.

I learned quarterstaff for stage combat, which is what got me in to the fire staff.. This is why my current project is a 6' long galvanized steel fire staff. Heavy and hell, but good lord it's indestructable, and it feels great working with it..... Just ain't doing throws >.>

There's a fine line between genius and insanity.

.... I ran away from the genius side.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
jo meaning short staff, bo meaning staff (unless someone cares to correct me.

people saying 'short staff staff' always make me giggle.

I've always been under the impression arnis was synonymous to escrima, just thought i'd mention that as no-one else has yet.

You can say Tang Soo Do is based on karate in so much as Taekwon-do is based on karate, so you just have to regress it a step further wink

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

I've always been under the impression arnis was synonymous to escrima, just thought i'd mention that as no-one else has yet.

Ummm, I think someone already did. wink Interchangeable might be synonymous with synonymous?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
oops, so you did, I'd managed to only search this page of topic when i double checked, soz smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

RyanPaddynewbie
1 post

Posted:
 Written by: ArthurBrown

Point Blank: Try the Diatribe forums for the nearest game near you. Look for Ryan Paddy, he imports latex weapons of middling quality and extortionate price, but as far as I know, they are the only latex ones in New Zealand, so far.

Thanks for the mention. Go to www.paddywhack.co.nz for latex weapons in New Zealand. The prices are fair (and cheap compared to UK prices) and even cheaper if you also join NZLARPS.

The weapons I currently have in stock are decent quality, much better than most of those home-made in New Zealand, although I'll happily admit they're not of the very expensive, very high quality variety. They're very safe, using a softer foam than most latex weapons. I'm looking at stocking some new brands, too.

Unfortunately I don't have any staves currently. Weapons over 1 meter in length are a bit tricky to transport (you can't send them via courier or post in NZ) and many manufacturers don't make anything longer than about 1.1 meters. I could stock short staves if there was an interest.

I'm not into poi, by the way, although it looks amazing. My fiance stumbled on this forum while vanity-searching my name. Is it still vanity if it's not your own name? wink

Anyhow, all the best and drop me a line if you're in NZ and interested in combat with foam weapons, or larp.

Righto!

Ryan

UstuloTerrastranger
19 posts

Posted:
We use a three person combat piece.

accept our staff length is in beteween a bow and a jo staff

ours is 5.5 feet

wolfcub3223BRONZE Member
128 posts

Posted:
bo staffs are usually 4ft long and jo staffs are around 6ft long and usually have a tappered tip like a spear

Ich brauche Zeit
Kein Heroin kein Alkohol kein Nikotin
Brauch keine Hilfe
Kein Koffein
Doch Dynamit und Terpentin
Ich brauche Öl für Gasolin
Explosiv wie Kerosin
Mit viel Oktan und frei von Blei
Einen Kraftstoff wie Benzin

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
 Written by: wolfcub3223

bo staffs are usually 4ft long and jo staffs are around 6ft long and usually have a tappered tip like a spear

Other way round, dude. Bos are 6ft and Jos 4ft. The tapering is purely optional for both.

Page: