Forums > Social Chat > cross and coloured flames

Login/Join to Participate

spikemember

Posted:
can anybody tell me how to make coloured flames...i heard that mixing boric acid and ethanol gives blue flame but ethanol burns very shortly and the flame is very small.does anybody knows website wher i can find out something about cross (spining...or whatever is done with a cross) ...thanks

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
The easiest is, yes the boric acid, Salt gives a yellow flame Copper CHL gives a bluish flame Beyond that you probably would have trouble getting the chemicals. As for cross, there aRe no websites that I know of, but just get out there and experiment a little bit.-PSM[This message has been edited by psychomonkey (edited 30 December 2000).]

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

spikemember

Posted:
i know what chemicals to use.... but ethanol burns out very fast and when i start spining poi fire dies out ...besides that i get nice green,red or yelow flame

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
try mixing a little white gas in there.

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

spikemember

Posted:
i dont know what white gas is ....im from Croatia if you know where tht is and i dont know it by the nam of white gas

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
white gas is also called camping fuel. it's the stuff that goes in little portable stoves and lamps.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
I mix borrix acid - about 2ish tablespoons to a litre of metholated spirits (ethanol based) and it burns about as long as kerosine does - the flame is somewhat less bright but its kinda blue green and has a different appeal ... I use it between full kerosine burns mostly for contrast ...dont know if that helps at all ..Dean

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
psychomonkey, where do you get copper CHL and what is it? how much do you add to get that blue flame? if missouri ever heats up i'd like to try that.....

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
I got it from a chemistry teacher I know, I've seen it in walmart around here ,it was with the fireplace stuff used for making colored flames (of course), look at the ingredients of alll the stuff. I don't have much, but if your ever around KC you can borrow some of mine. If you wan't I can pick up some of the wal-mart stuff and hold it or mail it to you. And yes its bloody cold here in MO.[This message has been edited by psychomonkey (edited 03 January 2001).]

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
i wandered around a walmart today, with no rewards...i didn't even find the supposed "fireplace section" you were talking about..., so yeah, if yousee some, pick it up for me, im sure i'll bump into you sometime in the next few months. im in chicago now, but i'll be back to columbia in a few weeks for school. hope to hook up and spin soon. cya

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
by "with the fire place stuff" I mean the one by me has a spot with those long matches,stuff for cleaning it, starter logs... Ill try to pick some up.

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
to solve all your colour problemsjust go towww.geocities.com/firepoithey have everything there for everycolour in the world

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hehehehe, this page was the very last thread on the very last page. page 341. i thought id bring it back to the top. anyway, just go to articles if u lookin for colors, definitve list there.
byebye

---------------
foomp

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
Try this one. I've only managed to get hold of Potassium Nitrate though.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/colouredflames.php

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!