Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Making long arm poi Straight

Login/Join to Participate

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hi did a search, but didn't really find exactly what I was looking for.

I've been struggling with this for a while now. In moves from giant windmill to pirouettes, how do you mave sure that your arm makes a perfectly straight line with the poi when its extended. If you don't know what I mean look at the Dervisly yers video, 1min 3secs in for an example.

I've experimented with weights of poi and found that heavier poi make it easier, but I still can't get it perfect and I don't really like working with very heavy poi.

Does anyone have any tips?

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
slow the move down as much as possible

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
unfortunately i think the only thing you can do is practise loads.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've always had problems with 'long-arm' moves; possibly because most of my practice takes place indoors where the ceiling makes practising such moves impractical.

The best tip I got, and one which did enable me to get some long-arm basics down; was to practice the moves without poi.

It's surprisng what a stretch these moves are for the body, so practising slowly and without poi will act as a good warm up as well.

Liam Tempest and Jo Derry, who gave me this tip, used to practice entire synchronised routines with the poi wrapped completly round their hands, and they were both outstandingly good with long-arm moves.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

inpsydoutBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
practcing without the poi is how i got my head round it. i used clubs as they allow you to slow the move right down whilst making sure that both club and arm are completly lined up.

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Along with the above, a vidcam goes a long way in practicing. Lets you analyze your moves so you can see how they are both technically and aesthetically. Jeeze I wish I had a vidcam :P...

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
you must be making perfect circles with everything, just moving with the poi, not dragging them or following them, but arms as poi.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Remember the centre of rotation is your shouldar. Relax your arms and swing from your shoulder. Get it right without poi first as OWD says...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Play with the weight. Start with double sinchronized circles, all possible directions.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Written by:

how do you mave sure that your arm makes a perfectly straight line with the poi when its extended.

Practice, and look at your reflection in a window/mirror. Check out Anna Jillings or Ben Richers (available at the hop shop) clubswinging book for different long arm routines and combinations.

smile
EDITED_BY: Stone (1131328970)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Work from A.Jillings is available on-line too.
Here it is:

https://www.semlyen.net/cosmosjugglers/lib/contents.htm

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
This thread makes me really want to buy a set of clubs (and a vidcam while I'm at it)! Seriously, does practicing with clubs help that much with poi technique? I guess the main thing holding me back from investing in a set of clubs is the fact that club-swinging is obviously another art form altogether. As a beginner, I think I should probably concentrate on mastering poi before trying anything else, but if it's going to help then maybe. . . Would people recommend the 'flip juggling clubs' that are for sale in the homeofpoi.com shop?

inpsydoutBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
i learnt club swinging before starting on poi and i felt it gave me such a headstart when i came to picking up some poi. i know a lot of ppl who dont swing clubs apart from when they need to work something out because clubs dont sag when they're held pointing up, unlike poi. i learnt all of the long arm stuff with clubs first but then again everyone learns in different ways.

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
when getting two clubs, get ones you like to throw as well as spin, cos your gonna get anotherone someday...

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I, too, found practicing the pirouette without poi to be helpful.

Another useful technique is, rather than just spinning around, aiming for each of the clock quadrants (3 o'clock, 6, 9 & 12) with each poi as you go around. 3 & 9 are obvious, while 6 is in front of your feet and 12 is above and slightly behind your head. For the pirouette, the big circle you're making is not on a flat plane, it's at a slight angle like this: /

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

]
when getting two clubs, get ones you like to throw as well as spin, cos your gonna get anotherone someday...

T wave

Ironically I already have clubs for juggling, and they even have spinning knobs on the end, but I've never got into club swinning because I never got the haang of the grips (well, I've never really tried).

I will try for this now though. I also lve in a tiny flat so not much room for poi, so using clubs for long arm may help this also.

I also practice a little without poi already, (mainly due to the small flat), but I will definately do this more seriously now.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I'll keep you posted, keep the tips coming!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

CrazyPoiLadynewbie
7 posts

Posted:
I think practising without poi to music seriously improves your stlye, i think people who realise its as much about dancing as it is about technicality put on the best shows.

But then again i might just be comforting myself for low flat ceilings... Wouldn't it be savage to practice poi in a dance studio with mentally high ceilings and mirrorred walls.. Better make friends with a dancer...

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Heh.. we have a workout studio at work with a dance/aerobics room.. somewhat high ceilings, full walled mirror.. not a bad place to practice, I just wish I could shake the heavy self-conscious mental clouds that I feel in that place... frown

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"