Forums > Technical Discussion > Making Coloured Glow In the Dark Powders.

Login/Join to Participate

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Hello!

I would like to make GLow in the Dark pigments / powders. Not using standard crapper zinc sulphide or whatever it is, that only glows weakly green, but the high tech new type, supposedly based on Alkaline Earth Metal Aluminates. (As I seem to recall) Like Strontium Aluminate. Also there's some suggestion that the metal aluminates should be 'doped' with europium.

Well what I would like to know is: In this context what does doping mean, and what is it good for?

What are the exact chemical shenigans of the chemicals, their forumlas and all that.

Is this correct? and would it work?

And where do I get the chemicals?

And Can I add UV reactive chemicals to the mixture too, to add spice?

Hopeful meg. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
https://www.glowtec.co.uk/
look quite good. No idea about making them, but I suspect it's reasonably challenging for a home operation wink

On the plus side, most of them seem to be UV active anyway. (I think it's only the purple and white ones which aren't from glowtec). They also do sparkley ones.

Washing powder is full of "optical brightners" which glow good under UV.

monkeys ate my brain

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah, and it's a tenner for 30g. I have LOTS of optical whitener. I love it.

I doubt it reasonable challenging, it looks just like mixing powders together, and hoping they don't explode. Which I think is an easy thing to do... Let me have a look at sigma alritch...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.