Forums > Social Chat > why do bad things always happen?

Login/Join to Participate

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
why is it over the past few years some really sh**ty things have happened within my life.

about a year ago i found out that my younger sister has a brain tumor, it all happened around the time of my gcse's and really messed with my brain. it still does but i try to always think positive. just today i have found out that my mum may have epilepsy and that she keeps having fits. (i know nothing about the condition and wouldnt know what to do if my mum had a fit infront of me except to phone an ambulance). i've also had minor things such as my younger brother having autism but its natural to me as i've lived with it all my life.
i may sound like i'm being really morbid and self focused but i know stuff like this just doesnt happen to me. i worry so much and also feel really guilty as i've only ever been ill with minor things and had a few broken bones and sprains.
why is it that i feel the way i do and does anyone else have similar problems i also welcome advice and information about epilepsy. some times i just want to curl up and cry because i dont know how much more i can handel. frown

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug
i wish i could give you some advise, but i dont really know what to say, except if you need a rant/shoulder/giggle, im only an MSN away
vampyricacid@hotmail.com
hug hug hug

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

2,443 posts

Posted:
thank you smile hug

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Sounds horrible. You poor thing...hug

My brother has cerebral palsy and he has had some seizures over the years, unfortunately I was too young at the time I was pretty helpless when it came to physically helping him (all I did was call the ambulance, time it and give him some reassuring words) I do know a fair bit about it and what I can do to help him if it happens again, now that I'm much older. I'll PM you soon.

I know it may be hard to accept this at the moment, but in the end you're going to come out an even better person. These challenges have been thrown to you for a reason - to help you learn. And although it's tough, you will gain more knowledge and awareness in these different areas, and you will come out stronger person because of these events.

*insert cliche inspirational quote*

smilehug

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug
always here xxx

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

2,443 posts

Posted:
thanks thats helping me feel better.
i just sometimes i dont know what to do like sometimes i just need a hug and a shoulder to cry but i dont really have anyone i'm close enough to.

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
epilepsy is something ppl learn to live with, u should not fone an ambulance for it unless they really hurt themselves but put them in the recovery position which is on there side so that they dont bite or swallow there tongue other than that fits can be controlled and if they do have a fit it will be mainly bruises and bumps and tiredness after

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
just some info i found...

here

here

and here

Epilepsy Action Nottingham
0115 989 4042
International Community Centre
61b Mansfield Rd, Nottingham, NG1 3FN

and you can always pm for support and hugs too hug

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

2,443 posts

Posted:
thanks guys your the greatest smile
hug
i starting to feel a lil bit better especially with the advice

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
awwwwwwwww laus hug i kn it wont help but if yo ever neen a shoulder to cry on ar just a chat like Vampyricacid says you can get hold of me on:- partyguy@tiscali.co.uk

thats my msn if you ever need it hug

keep ya chin up hun

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
yer keep smiling hun it will be ok

my friend and her mum have both lived with having epilepsy and they are great people

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I work with a whole bunch of epileptic people. There are different forms of epilepsy and most can be controlled quite well now days.

If your mother does have a fit when you are there make sure that there are no things around her that she can harm herself on. Coffee tables, cutlery, chairs.... basically hard or sharp things. Just clear the area around her. If she is on a hard floor try to find something soft to put under her head. If she is wearing a scalf or a tight collar loosen it. If she isn't ridged turn her onto her side into the recovery position. You may find you can't do this until the fit subsides.

Keep calm. Fits always look worse than they are. Try to keep noise to a minimum around her and dim lights if possible. I have been told by people at work that they find bright lights and loud noise effect them when they are fitting.

After the fit subsides, depending on the type of epilepsy your mother has, you might find that she fall asleep. Just make sure that whilst fitting her tongue has not obstructed her air way and that her breathing is calm and normal. If it is just let her sleep.

The only times you need to call for help are if she is having trouble breathing, the fit does not seem to be stopping or if she has injured herself falling over or whilst fitting. If she does sleep and wakes up very confused or agitated again I would say call a doctor out to her.

There are hundreds of people out there with epilepsy that live normal lives. You may even have a friend or someone you know that has epilepsy and you never even realised because it is controlled so well with drugs.

hug

Never feel guilty for being lucky enough to be healthy. It's not your fault that you haven't managed to contract some long named strange disease/illness that you can't spell. It just comes down to pot luck. Rejoice in the fact that you are well and that your family has such a wonderful person in it that cares so much for the other members.

Health problems are a part in some way of most peoples lives. They can teach you what's most important in life, what's worth fighting for, and what's just a waste of time. You can choose to look upon them as a disaster or you can choose to look at them as a lifes lesson and let them teach you.

Good luck to you and your Family babe hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Lost83spyBRONZE Member
Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!
587 posts

Posted:
Lots of hugs hug

I'm always here if you need a friend

It may be your sole purpose in life to serve as a warning to others

Founder and Official leader of the Curby Clan

*Owner of Brenn*

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
fits are terrible to watch, but it always made me feel better to think that the person having it isn't feeling pain (unless they hit themselves).

people have already given you epiliepsy advice so all i can give is a hug

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Was going to post some advice, but Skully's covered it all brilliantly there. Just remember not to try and restrain the person - that could hurt them and you, let the fit take it's course. Most epileptics don't have major seizures very often - my friend tends to only have a big one once a year, but they may have 'absences' where they can't remember what has happened. It helps to reassure them and, if they want to know, explain to them what they have said or done during the period they can't remember.

Most epilepsy can be controlled very well, but it might take them a while to find the best combination of drugs - be patient in the meantime, your mum might end up feeling very tired or woozy.

Depending on the type of fits he is having, it may not be epilepsy (it's very unusual for this to start later in life) and could be a severe form of migraine.

I hope things get better for you soon, and I hope your sister's doing as well as she can be. Stay positive. Anyone who sends such lovely random PM's has a lot of happiness insinde them!

hug

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
my ex-boyfriend started having what's called "complex partial seizures" at age 32 - apparently those can appear at a later age than the "generalised seizures" which involve larger brain regions. It took them ages to get the medication right and apparently he had the seizures up to 15 times a day, though fortunately usually he'd just have to sit down and kind of lost sense of what was happening for a while, but wouldn't suddenly fall down and hurt himself.

For some info on types of seizures go:

https://www.neurologychannel.com/seizures/types.shtml

maybe what happens to your mum is explained there - it always helps when you can put a name to things smile hug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
i can tell you exactly why [censored] happens:
if we didnt understand what it feels like to be low, we would never understand happiness, it would just be the norm and boring.

I like to think of it as as the idea that a spoilt child (who has never kown sadness) never appreciates what s/he has. but a poor child appreciates every new gift.

life can be rotten, but remember 3 things always:
1. It could be worse, dont say it can't, cuz it really could be.
2. It will get better, yes, give it time, it will.
3. You have firends who WANT to help you. without us you'd have a lot more trouble, but with us we'll have you smiling in no time!
hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2
smile

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
aww lauz, wish I had seen this post earlyer, and replied abit quicker to your pm you ent me...maybie havnt replied, did I, I dont remember.

Anyway epilepsy usually looks worse than it is, no point me saying anything about it couse everyones allready gieven you loads of info on it, but you never know your mum might grow out of them some people do, my brother did and he did it without bothering to take his medication lol.

hug hug

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

2,443 posts

Posted:
thanks guys for all the links and hugs and great advice especially skully that was really helpful.
hug
i did find out some good news. my sister has a date for an operation so after that things should get better for her smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
awww hug Sometimes bad things happen like busses arriving at a bus stop - all at once!
Hope your sister's condition improves,
Much love hug

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

2,443 posts

Posted:
smile hug