Forums > Social Discussion > one thing too many "professionals" forget

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
i have met too many prima donnas in fire performance, to the point where i feel this statement is necessary. they feel that since they perform with fire, often with all the stage performance of WHITE NOISE, that they are entitled to treat anyone without a regular gig as nobodys, and the audience gets no respect at all, not so much as a bow, or a "thank you."
here's the point i am trying to make: AS PERFORMERS, EVERYTHING WE ARE AND EVERYTHING WE HAVE COMES WITH A DEBT. it is a debt we owe to the audience. we owe it to the people on the drums. we owe it to the person in the DJ booth. we owe it to the person who saw us perform and had the good graces to bring us into their fold by hiring or inviting us to perform for them. it is a debt that we are not done paying until the last memory of who we are and what we do is gone, faded into history. look at elvis. he'll never be done paying. no one will forget the "thank you, thank you very much" with the roguish turn of his lip as he spoke. but if you treat the audience like PVAEMENT to walk all over, never thank the drummers, the dj, or the people that brought you to where you are, you will be forgotten and forgotten quickly. FAME, NO MATTER HOW GREAT OR SMALL, IS FLEETING. never forget that. if fame is not what you're in it for, fine. personally i'm in it for the fun of performing, but fame has come anyway. even if i had no audience, i would still be performing, if only to myself. but i have an audience to please, so i perform to them. i do not use static performance routines, i play TO the crowd, not just IN FRONT of them. i thank them for attending, and call the drummers up to center stage for their rightful bow at the end of the show. i thank the people that brought me in to perform. i never forget. i never will. and neither should any other performer.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh, well for the record I still don't understand how I pretended to know you. Unless using an inclusive pronoun does that by default? confused

But I'm now going to state my opinion, to get this thread back on track.

If I were reading your first post again, I would notice that you don't make any reference to their maybe being previous threads on this topic, an implicit statement that we have obviously never considered this topic before. And you don't state it's a rant or anything like that either.

You put "professionals" in quotation marks. Obvious anyone who considered themselves professional before, should reconsider after what you say, cos what you're about to say clearly demonstrates your more "professional" than everyone else. Obviously if I was a professional, I wouldn't have a blanket set of rules that I could never stray from, I would consider each situation in context, a point NYC clearly makes.

OMG you do charity work! Wow, some people on here work for charities full time.

And maybe I'm nitpicking now, but so is anybody who disagrees with you or even comments.

Snap judgements and jumping to conclusions? Whatever dude, I agreed with you on some points, I just didn't feel the need to post until half way through. And if you really want people to jump to conclusions (like you have already done several times), then you should stop using smileys so people find it much harder to figure out your tone of voice, and reply appropriately. I mean why would you want to do anything to help people understand you? That would be silly.

I could go on, but I think I've had enough excitement for today. ubblove

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frederick the Reckless

Written by: Zauberdachs

Yo Fredrick the berk, or whatever you name is, this is "social discussion" forum. Let us look at the word discussion:

"1. Consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.
2. A formal discourse on a topic; an exposition."

So you went on the "discussion" forum and are now upset with people talking about your opinion? You need to find the "dictating to" forum...

ah, and now we begin with the name calling... and funny how you spelled "Frederick" wrong, it's only ONSCREEN for you to read... consider yourself ignored from here on out. sod off.

i think perhaps you are reading my posts (except the second two since charles' ) with a bit more of a temperamental inflection... i am a bit more of a "less tact, more point" person. i often speak in a straightforward manner, and it gets taken as being rude or impolite. sorry if you think i am. it's more of a "you gotta actually HEAR the words SPOKEN by the person typing them, as reading them can be done in any emotion, and you'll read what you wish to read into it" situation, really.
smile

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

241 posts

Posted:
not once did i claim to be more professional than everyone else. some "professionals" are rather unprofessional. that is the shortest way to put it. i explained my opinion of a professional manner, citing what myself and my troupe do. sorry if it's the only example i have. the shows i do are all at outdoor events, not raves, not nightclubs. we ARE the show. the others i see that do them act like prima donnas. it's disgusting.
and this is the OFFICIAL APOLOGY: sorry. didn't mean to jump to the conclusion that you are pretending to know me... have a nice day hug hug
are we done yet?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
What was everyone talking about again?
wink

241 posts

Posted:
poodles. yeah, that's it. everyone was talking about poodles. wink

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yay!
Free Poodles for everyone!
bounce
umm spank

I'll be off now...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

no, i define that as practice, too...

Sometimes terms like that need to be defined in a thread, otherwise people end up confused.
Call it nitpicking if you like, but it's only a very small minority of people who actually want to annoy you - every one else is just trying to clarify what's posted so they can get on with the discussion.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
yay for poodles!

ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Forks! Argh I only have SPOONGUARD!

Er otherwise. Cool.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
thank god for that, thought for a minute this thread was gonna turn nasty ubblol

Gayle.....!

241 posts

Posted:
juggling 3 flaming poodles, a wet guinea pig and a prune-eating weasel... and a fork. sounds like a good show, yes?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

241 posts

Posted:
mental note: gotta learn to juggle.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well, I for one, think it's poo and I hate you all

biggrin

*shimmy, shimmy, wiggle*

Getting to the other side smile

241 posts

Posted:
i could add poo to the juggling act...?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
now thats just plain irish ubblol

ubbloco

hug

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Can you juggle 7 things?

umm biggrin

241 posts

Posted:
no, i can't juggle, except for contact staff, baton, battle axe,knife, or sword... not kidding.
and i am 1/4 irish, does that count?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
jesus, I can't even juggle listening to my girlfriend and doing anything else together.

smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

241 posts

Posted:
in that case, neither can i...

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Puh... 1/4 irish doesn't count at all!!!

You have to have been raised on a diet of constant meat and potatoes, with occasional artery-hardening full fried irish breakfasts to be half irish.

To be fully irish you need to be living in houses with low roofs (anti-juggle) and when you step outside it must be either torrential rain or galeforce winds.

And that's in the summer.

biggrin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I think you'll find all of this has been discussed before....

Please do a search.

Now, pardon me - I'm off round the world for year smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

241 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

Puh... 1/4 irish doesn't count at all!!!

You have to have been raised on a diet of constant meat and potatoes, with occasional artery-hardening full fried irish breakfasts to be half irish.

To be fully irish you need to be living in houses with low roofs (anti-juggle) and when you step outside it must be either torrential rain or galeforce winds.

And that's in the summer.

biggrin

so in other words:
be a high- carb carnivore... check.
live in low-budget crappy housing... check
and it must be pouring rain or blowing you down in a gale...in the summer... so, right, Oregon... check!

yay! i'm irish!

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well done biggrin

Welcome to our special, elitist clan

hug

You are now allowed to wear green on St Patricks day, and constantly moan about anything and everything without being considered rude.

You are also expected to have razor sharp wit and use caustic sarcasm as often as possible.

beerchug

241 posts

Posted:
so in other words, i should LYE?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Love Young Elephants?
Lose Your Eyes?
Leave You Empty?
Low Yearly Expectations?

umm

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
I was going to reply to this, but on second thought decided that it wasn't really worth it because the subject has been derailed a good dozen times. I'm just guessing on how many times because I lost count while reading this thread.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

241 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

You are also expected to have razor sharp wit and use caustic sarcasm as often as possible.

so in other words, i should LYE?

Lye, as in the base compound... very caustic and often used to clear out drains.
witty and caustic, get it?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ive never heard of it. smile

Now I have though.
Thank you, hug