Harry_PotterToadStool Circus Acts
181 posts

Posted:
Is it just me or does everyone else get annoying sports people such as Football, Rugby and Hockey players laughing at sports such as Yo-yoing, Staff Spinning, Poi and Juggling. Its was an own clothes day at school on friday, you pay £1 to wear your own clothes and the money goes to a charity. A great course and i thought as we have a load of circus acts in school we could get a team going and have a litttle meet put on a bit of a show and get some money. Yes we did raise a bit of money for the charity but we got insulted by some Idiots at the same time. What is the point? Am i the only one. Why arent these sports taken seriously? eek

Yo-yoist, Staffer and 3 Ball and Club Juggling
'Its people like us, who make them feel talentless.'

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
well in theory they arent exactly official sports, often people laugh at things they dont understand simply cos they cant do it themselves and its much more grown up and 'hard' to laugh at it than go against your mates and walk up to you and ask you how to yo yo, some people are idiots i agree with you, just be glad your not one of them wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
you would prob have a totaly different appeal to them, if they where not with their mates, plus, if you are doing a show, (age dependent this is) people will often try and mock you to make themselves funny.....

just chill, and remeber there will always be people who make fun if youto feel big, and clever.

just keep your head on your toys, and get better, and chill with people who make you smile, cos you will fly through life, and you will see them in about 4 years with a misses a babie, and a shite life!

Step (el-nombrie)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think it's because if they didn't laugh at them, they're notice how dull they're own sports are. I mean, everything's been done in rugby and football? WHy do they bother to watch it? Nothing new is going to happen, and the only way to make something slightly interesting happen is by changing the rules... Boring...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
cos you're in school. people in school need something that they don't do to make fun of other people about, else they realize how much they suck and kill themselves.

ooook over simplification. but surely you see my point?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
*is a rugby and hockey player*

I dont advertise my skills at school. shrug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
stupid jocks!

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
hey at least you can do your hobbies at school.

i am at the moment fighting with my brothers school, to allow them to juggle and do other circus arts in the playground.

they say juggling is too dangerous and could hurt people...

lol...

passing through, this world still lives.

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Yeah maybe if you're juggling with knives or something...

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

Lost83spyBRONZE Member
Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!
587 posts

Posted:
I play hockey and spin poi. So far no one has mocked me, but I guess down here poi and fire spinning is not seen so often.

You will get the odd stupid chop who will mock you for your talent, but if that happens to me I'll just hand over my poi and say "well then, lets see you do better".

Seriously, most people who will mock someone because of their talent is someone who's insecure and wants to seem better than you. It all boils down to people's egos...

I just think they are soooo jealous!

It may be your sole purpose in life to serve as a warning to others

Founder and Official leader of the Curby Clan

*Owner of Brenn*

WizSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
Same thing happens at my school.
I'm the only person in my whole school that juggles or does poi though.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
No-one mocks me. I'm a rugby player. in fact at my old rugby club they used to love the fact I could juggle.
IMO the guys at your school must just be numpties

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
School is different dude.

If you do something thats different, it gets mocked. Its pretty lame. ITs why I Don't do anything at school. Which is a damn shame. I dont like having to keep what I do a secret, but if I don't, I get mocked.

Lame as. frown

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i'm with Lost83spy, if people mock what i do i invite them to have a go........if they decline i go to town on them and make them look small and stupid for berrating me or anybody else that likes to be different

181 posts

Posted:
Hey that was a nice response. My schools deffinatly one of those schools where we all follow the same trend, same clothes, same sports, same everything, bunch of sheep. Its jsut me and my friend who actually do the circus stuff in school. I did use to do a trick for them if they started laughing at me called 'Sling shot to the face' Its amusing when u *accidently* miss and end up with the yoyo 1 inch from there face. I think most people forget that a yoyo was a weapon before it was a toy. But i decided thats not the way. So recently we have been trying to get people into this area of sports. I have to bring in a old yoyo, not having them play on my lovely 2 week old shiny non scratched yoyo, but we have quite a few people starting it up, so i think with a bit more encouragement...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I'm really scared... but in a kinda good way... kinda...

I've been at Uni for 4 weeks now, and last week I was told that 4th years have been talking about me.

I'm apparantly the only fire breather in the entire university, and it's somehow managed to filter through my tutor group and corridor out into the wider University (of 10,000 people!!!) so that now people are talking about "The Fire Breather" and when I'm going to be doing stuff...

It's Bonfire Night soon. help

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I wish they had juggling on the telly. ubbrollsmile

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I was supposed to be in the newspapers today for our performance tonight, and guess why I'm not - they have a whole page special about the Harry Potter actors and how much their looks have changed in the last year rolleyes. I blame you, Harry_Potter ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I wasn't into poi at school, all those many moons ago...... *drifts of into a daydream....*
but I doubt at my school anyone would have said anything, as i hung around with the hard core smoking lot ubblol Noone ever messed with us, and by the time I left, pwdi - i mean lilmiss smartyknickers had a scary rep - similar to that of my mums as we were younger. Kids were apparently scared of her ubblolubblolubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

arbitrary_number_2newbie
21 posts

Posted:
im at school too, play soccer, twirl a staff, keep the two incredibly seperate. Although its a good feeling to do some contact with the corner posts. Schools not too bad though, maybe youve just got yourself into a bad school. Whenever im short money for lunch me and my mates head off and busk for money, people sometimes take the piss, but my devil sticks have left many a day filled with feasting. The people can take the piss if they must, they can watch me twirl, they can watch me eat.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frodo

hey at least you can do your hobbies at school.

i am at the moment fighting with my brothers school, to allow them to juggle and do other circus arts in the playground.

they say juggling is too dangerous and could hurt people...

lol...

Maybe you could teach him to juggle without actually throwing the clubs like the guy in New Street suggested tongue

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Harry_Potter

Is it just me or does everyone else get annoying sports people such as Football, Rugby and Hockey players laughing at sports such as Yo-yoing, Staff Spinning, Poi and Juggling.
Am i the only one. Why arent these sports taken seriously? eek

this will change for the better as you get older.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
Written by: TinklePants

I wasn't into poi at school, all those many moons ago...... *drifts of into a daydream....*

but I doubt at my school anyone would have said anything, as i hung around with the hard core smoking lot ubblol Noone ever messed with us, and by the time I left, pwdi - i mean lilmiss smartyknickers had a scary rep - similar to that of my mums as we were younger. Kids were apparently scared of her ubblolubblolubblol

Don't you remember the jugglers at school Tink?

When I started poi and showed Aled (little brother) he said "Thats what its called? I saw people doing that in the bus bays in school"

BTW Tam, who had a scary rep? me? Nooooo! I'm a good girl ubbangel
EDITED_BY: LilMissSmartyPants (1131013328)

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: Harry_Potter

Hey that was a nice response. My schools deffinatly one of those schools where we all follow the same trend, same clothes, same sports, same everything, bunch of sheep.

See, this is why I love art college. Everybody is weird. You'd get teased if you were normal tongue

181 posts

Posted:
I think i should go to art college if everybodys weird. I always get told im weird. I just think im special. haha.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
look

<---- Aimee Birthday clap

happy

Tom

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
When I was at school I was the only one who did poi, infact, no one had ever really seen it before (small town in South Africa), but i got loads of people into it and taught a lot of people the basics.. In general they all thought it was quite cool..but then again, Im a woman and over 6 feet tall, if they thought it was wierd, they probably wouldnt say anything about it! ubblol

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer