Forums > Social Chat > Fall Back, Change Your Clocks!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK, I have a serious question and I ask it every year and I've never gotten a straight answer.

Right now it's 1:34 AM in NYC. In 26 minutes I set my clocks back one hour to 1AM due to daylight savings.

How do people differentiate it?

Like, if there was a flight leaving now from the airport and one leaving in an hour... how would you know which one you're on? There have got to be trains and busses that do strange things. Like do the tickets say you leave at 1:45 and arrive 20 minutes later at 1:05?

Or if a cop arrested you, how would he dictated that he arrested you now, and not in an hour.

There's got to be an answer.

Anyone?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I just looked at the Newark airport site and it says that the last plane that left at 1:10 and the next one leaves at 1:04.

I'm in the twilight zone!

Train schedules have GOT to be screwed up. How would you know when to leave? How would train conductors know what time they need to get into stations and such? There ARE trains running right now. If you got on a train right now what would the ticket say? 1:54 AM? but that's now AND in an hour!

I need to ask a pilot or a train conductor or someone else who works on a schedule.

Hey, Lightning... is there anything in the medical world that takes this into account?
EDITED_BY: NYC (1130651259)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
NYC, go to bed. tongue

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
On a serious note, i think that the newark site basically does it as it's done.

Here, we went forward an hour, and that hour did just vanish. You couldn't be pulled over at 2:30 am, cos there was no 2:30 am. went straight from 1am to 3am, i think.

it'd all work out in the end, i think.

The sucky thing is when you work nightshift over daylight savings change - you can work 9 hours and get paid for 8...

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah but my point is that there are TWO 1:55AMs on October 30th in New York.

That's gotta screw up SOMEBODY. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
ah, i see what you mean after you edited your second post...

maybe it'd be 1:55a and 1:55b...

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah but I've never seen any mention of it anywhere.

It's gotta be somewhere.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
See now according to my clock this post was done BEFORE any of the other ones above it.

wink

OK, I'm off to bed.

GrumbleGrumble...
*Sombodysgottaknow*

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
::stubbles in from concert at 2am::

"You're home late"
::looks at the clock:: "hey look its still only one!"
"Daylight savings time saved you ass this time, but next time you won't be so lucky.

(conversation between my mother and me... about 15 minutes ago.)

Don't mind me, just passing through.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i tried that with my olds once. So the next time they said 'be back in 5 hours'

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hehehe... I'm up wondering about this too now! I mean... yeah. And its nearly halloween...

Oh, yeah, and the bars... they have to be open an extra hour too. Does that mess anything up I wonder?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Das NoleyGOLD Member
7 posts

Posted:
its like time travel really.

say you're going somewhere in the same time zone, at like 1:45am. it takes you like a half hour to get there, and suddenly its 1:15am. you went back in time so to speak. im too tired to think about flipping different time zones and such, but i know where you're going with the two times...

if it wasnt 2:45 am, i'd think about this more. in my head its 3:45. i like this whole extra hour of sleep thing.

Oh, well if he was sleeping, than i would think he was me, because he is blue, and I like to sleep. but if he is dead, then it can't be me, because that would just be silly.
-- Caboose [Red vs Blue]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

OK, I have a serious question and I ask it every year and I've never gotten a straight answer.

Like, if there was a flight leaving now from the airport and one leaving in an hour... how would you know which one you're on? There have got to be trains and busses that do strange things. Like do the tickets say you leave at 1:45 and arrive 20 minutes later at 1:05?

Or if a cop arrested you, how would he dictated that he arrested you now, and not in an hour.

Anyone?

Simple: "Time of death occurred at 1:26AM DST" or "EST."

When that's an issue...

And NYC, it's 1:26 AM in New York City and you're on HOP pondering DST/EST?

That's sad, man. Saaaad. I feel for you, brother.

What say next time I take you out to some gay clubs and you can people watch or something? biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
it's all just weird, i was just having a discussion (with which someone from the southern hemisphere may be able to help...) if in the northern hemisphere the clocks go back because of winter, does it mean that in the south you are putting your clocks forward for summer? if so, doesn't that screw up all the time zone lines??

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
yeah, it does work like that NOn, at least Australia put the clocks forward as ours went back last night.

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
lol the timezone lines have no need of changing. every one of them just changes by an hour.

did you all know that the U.S. is gonna change daylight savings time soon? the whole purpose of it initially was to make the "days" longer for farmers and for schools. because otherwise the sun would be up earlier or later than the people needed to be up.

being that this isn't really abig problem anymore they want to change the daylight savings times, i forget the reason why but they plan on doing it i think next year or the year after. (could be wrong about that)

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

LostSurferSILVER Member
I'd be in trouble if I had to eat an antelope now
278 posts

Posted:
i remember a few years ago here a group of councillors went to the government to see if we could have Scillonian Mean Time, so in the summer we'd have summer time, and in winter we'd have double summer time! that would really mess things up somewhere biggrin
EDITED_BY: LostSurfer (1130697445)

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Written by: NYC

Anyone?

Simple: "Time of death occurred at 1:26AM DST" or "EST."

When that's an issue...

And NYC, it's 1:26 AM in New York City and you're on HOP pondering DST/EST?

That's sad, man. Saaaad. I feel for you, brother.

What say next time I take you out to some gay clubs and you can people watch or something? biggrin

I'm resting up. Only two weeks til Molly gets here so I'm getting all of my beauty sleep out of the way now.

Anyway, I've been having really fun people watching in my neigborhood this weekend playing "Costume or Not!" There are so many freaks naturally that it's tough to tell. Like I actually knew the guy with the fangs has the fangs 365 days a year. But only on Haloween does he not get the strange looks.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Today I got up at 4:30 to go to work thinking it was 5:30....George was up feeding Edan and told me the real time so I had an extra beautiful hour in bed this morning. It don't count fo' diddly unless you feeeEEEEeeel the benefit biggrin

I don't see the point in doing it....it's a silly system that has no real tangible benefit. I reckon if everyone just just stopped doing it in mass protest and carried on going to work/school etc at what would be the original time those suits down in City Hall would have to sit up and take notice wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I wish that some certain HoPpers staying at mine had reaised that the clocks had changed before waking me up an hour earlier than I need to.

Bah.

wink

hug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

i tried that with my olds once. So the next time they said 'be back in 5 hours'

Then you just say you did the fifth hour twice! It's still only five different hours.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hehehe.

And yes, in 2007 the US is adding a week to each side of daylight savings time cause apparently it'll save loads in energy bills. And yes, I think its stupid. WHy don't they just change working hours?

shrug

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

I wish that some certain HoPpers staying at mine had reaised that the clocks had changed before waking me up an hour earlier than I need to.

Bah.

wink

hug

Oh c'mon. No matter wether the clocks were back or forward it was still the bloody afternoon when we made you get up tongue

10,530 posts

Posted:
*muttersandgrumbles*

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
what i want to know is, because it happens twice, does that mean that one of the hours didnt actually happen?:) so what did everyone do in the lost hour?

i started on the vodka biggrin i always forget im not supposed to mix...

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
So does that mean if you had a 1:30 test and you failed it you could take it again at 1:30... hrmm...

I see a really bad pickup line in there somewhere.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Imbalance

lol the timezone lines have no need of changing. every one of them just changes by an hour.

yeah... but in the southern hemisphere they go forward one hour and in the northern they go back... so in different directions, so the lines must change....

whose stupid idea was this anyway? it's all a conspiracy to confuse people.

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
im confused!

passing through, this world still lives.

10,530 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean Frodo...

I have enough difficulty telling the time as it is biggrin

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
NYC

You were stuck in time,

like loopback. smile

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
time, the hour, the minute, the second: it's 1:12am on tuesday the 1st november. Is such an arbitrary conecpt made up by man. It means nothing.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Page: