Forums > Help! > help in Central America

Login/Join to Participate

KhanonBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Hello everybody!!!
thanks for take a littler of your time to read this...
I´m a poister from Honduras, I really like this art, but the people here, specially the other poisters, are very conflictive. since I traveled to spain and get a poister book and a two pairs of fire head, I becomed a really good poister but I´m interested just in do what i do ,POI, but the others just want to conquest me and if I accept that I´ll can´t stop this... My question is... Accept or not this battles... what you´ll do if you are in my situacion... please help me.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
What do you mean by conflictive? They shout things at you? Try to attack you? Make sarcastic comments?

When you say they want to "Conquest" you, what do you mean?

If people are being nasty towards you because of how you spin Poi, then try to go somewhere they can't see you.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I think you mean that there's a lot of poi 'battles' that take place, constant competitions to see who's best. Right?

Some communities, like rapping and break dancing, are all about battles and it does drive people forward to be better. But it should be personal preference as to whether or not you take part or not. So depends if you can put up with the peer pressure and not take part, or go away and practise loads and loads and then beat everyone!

But number one rule: have fun!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Don't accept them smile

Just stand to one side and play

Poi isn't a competition biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

KhanonBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Thanks at all! it's very interesting your point of view, you're right this art is not a competition it is to link people; like us right now.

But the other part of the coin is, if I don`t participate in this challenges I won`t have work, I mean I won`t have presentations and this for me it`s very important because it`s a way to make extra money, you know.

So, do you know another way to increse my popularity with the advertising companies to contract me for their shows?

I'll appreciate your coments...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Seems like the best way would be to go to each company individually and ask them if they want you or not. Then if they show interest then you can give a private demonstration without other people breaking your concentration.

That may or may not be practical. shrug

Good Luck! smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.