Page:
SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Recently I was asked to spin staff at a student party. It was in a college main hall, so was big enough to do stuff in (including throws! Yay for high ceilings!).

Thing was, I only have a fire staff at Uni with me, which is fine for practice and fire, but it sucks monumentally for performance without the burning-ness.

So, I would really like to get a Glow Staff. BUT I have a couple of questions before I go out and spend money (c'mon, I'm a student... biggrin )

Aerotechs are bloody expensive. Prohibitively so.

Yoni gave me the URL of flowtoys.com which do 5'5" staffs for about £40.

What is the difference between the two?

Why do 'Techs cost so much more?

If anyone has bought a Glow Staff and is incredibly pleased with it's performance, can they tell me where they bought it and how much it was?

The purpose of the post is for me to gather information, because I don't want a rip-off price, nor do I want a staff of poor quality. Is there some balance between price and value?

Thanks for your time. ubbrollsmile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Aerotechs are rechargeable built to be glowstaffs glow staffs. They have things like change colour on catch and cool programming options. You just tap them to get em to turn on.

Flowtoys are a polycarbonate shell with streetlights inside them. You'll have to take the staff apart and turn the streetslights on individually, then put them back into the staff and turn it on. Streetlights have three different flashing modes. But they're probably go out of sync. Plus they're really fragile. But flowtoys are the best streetlight based staff out there.

There's also https://tribalglo.com/
which I found the other day. It could be worth a try. Obviously their website needs a bit of work... best to e-mail them if you want to order.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Do they still have that "turn lights off as you slide it down the tube due to static electricity"?

Or is that the neon husky ones?

umm

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Neon Husky actually look quite cool. UCOF, you sound like you might have had a bad experience with them?

They do list "Anti-Static Paper" on the "What you get when you buy" kit.

Could you elaborate on whether you think they're good or not? Or whether anyone you know has some?

Thanks again. weavesmiley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I have one. I think it's [censored].

Some of the streetlights are broken due to drops when they were in the staff. The middle section streetlights don't normally light up cos of static. The ends aren't weighted enough for contact. And it's bent. I think it arrived slightly bent. And it rattles. And the threads on the ends have sand in them, that I can't clean out, so they don't screw fully in.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
So you think Neon Husky is a bad idea then Meg? What's your preferred option? smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
My preferred option? Get that hyperlight dude to make me a set of glow doubles... tongue Hmmmm glow doubles...

Second to that: Get my mate dave (mo-seph) to make me some. I would have to beat him up to get him to do it, but I think it would be worth it.

third: Wait till Aerotech ultimates turn into sticks.

Then aerotechs.

then those firetoys silly glowstaffs.

then flowtoys

then neonhusky.

those short little globugz staffs? No fun. I wouldn't.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Wow... what was going to be my preferred option is 3rd last on yours...

'Techs are too expensive. I simply can't afford to spend over about £80 without cutting into my overdraft. Which I will not do.

If I tried to ask Dave to make me a staff, do you know how much he'd charge? (without you beating him up tongue)

Firetoys are capped at 100cm, I was looking for something slightly longer. Closer to 160 cm/5 ft. That's why I was tempted by flowtoys, they go up to 5.5 feet.

Thanks for your time! smile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I've actually seen some quite wicked glow staffs in california. And I KNOW they wern't any of the above companies... but I'm not really sure who they were! :/

I fired off an email to a guy who gave me a ride to one of the festys (he owns renegade!) to see if we can track it down... My suspiscion is they were made by the performer who used them- who is reputed for his less than stellar interpersonal skills (and his utterly strange staffs!) but anyway I'm trying to look it up for you....

Also saw some at a rave in the mountains that were just big bright green luminous ... well... staffs!

What is was was a normal staff coloured in glow tape... effective enough and very cheap! And you can decide things like weight on your own, so you won't be thrown off so much.... think there's even diffrent colours of glow tape but don't quote me on that. But of course you don't get quite the same effect... still, I'm sure people will be impressed biggrin (especially since they're all non-staffers tongue)

tell me who asked you to perform when we talk

cheers,
-K

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your eforts on my behalf Kyri, I think we owe each other about 8 drinks now! wink tongue

Glow tape... hmmm...

Thanks for the post hug

-R

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Well neonhuskies really spoiled my view of streetlights. I don't think my brain could handle the hassle again without exploding. But I have heard good things about them. Good construction and all that. You still will probably have to take it apart to turn them on etc.

Dave will probably not make a staff for you, his phd is nearly finished... he is mo-seph on here so you could try pm'ing him.

Obviously making your own is also an option. www.mo-seph.com gives a good description of how he made his.

Yeah firetoys always make their staffs too short, but they were well weighted and didn't seem to break too easy.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
How bout blacklight? that way you can incorporate a costume into the fun too.. You'd have to be able to set up blacklights, and I have no idea how much of a chore that would be, but it might be worth looking into.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
The thing about glow tape is it will have to be fairly dark. So check with the event organizers and see what their plans are....

Blacklight stuff is awesome as well, but again, no idea what the people are gonna be doing...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Thing is, I don't know myself. It will be in different places and situations every time they ask me to do something. I might be outside, indoors, early/late evening... So many variables.

I just want something I can do when it's dark that doesn't involve fire, and ideally doesn't involve external lighting.

Can you expand on Black light a bit more? Are there black lights in the staff or what?

Thanks for suggestions all. hug

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
No no, UV reactive staffs. Not a good idea for many random venues. If you're not garunteed x amount of darkness, you prolly want a staff which lights itself up rather than using glow tape....

Er, good luck and all that stuff smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"I simply can't afford to spend over about £80 without cutting into my overdraft. Which I will not do."

Oh go on.... tongue
I did ubbangel

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
(several times)

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I'm too far over budget as it is ubbcrying

Else I *would* do that. But then it's like... £250 in debt and that's just the first term. That's not good.

And I need a new fire staff... and I'm running out of baked beans... ubblol

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
" But then it's like... £250 in debt and that's just the first term. That's not good."

You're right.. thats rubbish!
I was at least £500 into my overdraft by my first term wink

Try harder!

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Well, on second thought, blacklight might not be very much help, since you'd need a blacklight source which you might have to supply yourself, which may be as expensive as anything. Basically, I've seen blacklight halogen lights that you place into a halogen lamp/lightsource directed at you. Your staff would need to be covered in UV reactive material and you could wear UV reactive clothing and bodypaint.

Such a setup could work in daytime, as UV reactive items are usually pretty bright colorwise (neon looking yellow-green and pink and whatnot), and in the dark when you can have a UV lightsource. However, they would probably fail pretty heavy if the lighting was just dim, leaving you with a lackluster visual performance frown.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Well, plus the fact that I have no clue as to whether I'll be performing in a field, in a club, in a hall... I really won't know until about 2 days before hand.

That's why I wanted a glow staff, they'll work in any environment so long as it's dark-ish.

And flowtoys have been sold out for about 2 months now... I have a sneaking suspicion that they're about to go out of business... frown

Mr_chazBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
ok just posted this in the staff moves forum...maybe the wrong place !
Written by: sublimity

hey i me and my girlfriend have just recently come up with a brainwave. I have been drooling over those gorgeous aerotech staffs for a while now...but can't quite afford the £350 , a little over my budget methinks ubbrollsmile
So instead i went out an bought a packet of those glow bracelets, the ones that start to glow when you bend em. They work a treat!! I just wrapped em round me staff, with a load of cellotape an had my very own glow staff!
It only cost me £1 for 25 and this was enough for my 1.5 metre staff, the effect was truly cool...better than i ever thought it would be. My very own glow staff (well for about 6 hours) Give it a try if u fancy somwthing a bit different (unless of course u win the lottery and can afford an aerotech 'lightsaber' staff ubblove )

*Diavolina*newbie
1 post

Posted:
https://tribalglo.com/<----------
hey im just sayin a word about these dudes , I bought a fire staff from them off ebay (they have a shop there u see) and it really was the most poor quality staff i have ever seen. It was made out of copper(a really good conducter of heat!) and covered in tin foil and had no core whatsoever.
To be fair though i got my money back and the poi look ok as well , im just warning people if u do wanna buy something from Tribalglo be WARY. eek
Yo sublimity , i did EXACTLY the same as u did , they worked a treat huh wink

GlitterBubbleSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

those short little globugz staffs? No fun. I wouldn't.

Oh no.... i just ordered these..............

I'm still learning doubles, so hopefully they will be OK.

Well, at least I can upgrade when I get better!!! biggrin

I love HOT chillies!

*me: Guess what? I'm learning how to eat fire!
*husband: well, you do love hot food.....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah, their definately good for doubles, just if you're fussy (like me biggrin ) you'd want them heavier and brighter, but I've played with them and had some gooood fun.

You'll enjoy them I'm sure! hug

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Out of curiosity, how heavy would you want a hyperliht staff Meg? smile

Cake or Death?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
As heavy as a metal staff? But with uber loads of weight at the ends. (Try and get all the weight at the ends, preferably so the ends are connected by blue lightening like in star wars pod racers) and with the entire staff covered in grip. Preferably non-bendy entirely. The main problem with aerotechs is lack of grip. (and reliability) and they are a bit too heavy in the middle. (and a bit too heavy, but not much too heavy, just fast cos their middle is so heavy.)
Etc.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Not sure how I'd get the whole thing grippy without obscuring the light.

Weight in the ends shouldn't be difficult.

Avoiding makine it bendy could be another challenge!

Cake or Death?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
transparent grip. Tis all the rage.

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
or sillicone over the staff, It feels almost like cheating when I do contact with it (in other words, i can't seem to do contact with anything other than sillicone grips :P ).

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
*bump - Couldn't find a newer relevant thread shrug burn me at the stake if i didn't search well enough*

Has anyone seen/tried these Yoho's Lightwave staff thingies? There's some video footage of them available too.

They're quite short (110cm) but might be ok for doubles. Or they might be a big pile of pants. They are however, quite reasonably priced, unlike the undeniably superior Aerotechs smile

Reckon it's worth a try?

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

Page: