Forums > Social Chat > TESCO is disturbing!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
i just returned from a trip to tesco to pick up a snack and some milk for the office. i had a chilling experience there. i was in the frozen food section and looking at the pies,debating weather to get steak and kidney or chick& mushroom, i noticed a 'tesco value pie' , 'meat flavour pie'.. Meat Flavour!!! come on, thy made a pie that tastes like something that once lived.

then i went on to the snacks dept. to get a choccie bar and a few nuts. the bar said "suitable for vegitarians". do they realy need to say that?? i thought to myself "m new meat free choccie bar!!".

then on to the peanuts. the shocking notice ever! "may contain traces of nuts".. MAY contain TRACES... AND!!! the peanuts are suitable for vegitarians!!

has anyone else ever noticed stupid warnings and scary signs like those??

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
These are everywhere. Its not just Tesco.

Its because the whole world seems to have developed a rather unpleasant sue culture.

I choose to ignore it.

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
thats not going to stand up in court though... wink

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
the vending machine at my old work used to have chocolate flavored flap jacks wtf???

10,530 posts

Posted:
Whatd'ya mean wtf?

Choclit flavoured flapjacks are yummy smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
but it wasn't only chocolate flavored it was toffee flavored and cherry flavored wtf???

it's got bleedin chocolate on the top.....its a chocolat flapjack

nuff said

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
In the co-op near me they have a small sign saying
"if you are blind or partially sighted please ask for assistance" ubblol coz of course they can read it!!!!!

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
RAVNHEAD , i still dont get it.
mynci , signs for the blinfd are so silly sometimes. i was in a train station and there was an emergency panic button . it had push written in brail... i know you just touch to read brail , but still at the time it was a great pictuure

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
The meat flavour thing sucks but the veggie thing makes sense to everyone who is vegetarian...so I presume you're not? You might think of chocolate as just a cocoa bean but so many foods are processed with animal rennett and fats to improve the flavour so to help the veggies be sure that the food hasn't been processed with these the "Suitable for Vegetarians" label goes on and then they're safe to buy with confidence. So it helps sales and of course the people.

I use to think the same until I got with my girfriend who's been veggie by choice since she was 5 when her Mom explained where meat came from. I started checking things and was amazed what actually contained meat (and related products). Loads of cheeses contain animal fat, all the Walkers Sensations contain fat too....Lamb and Mint flavour contains "Lamb Powder" which might not be too surprising but lots of cheese flavour things like buiscits etc contain animal fats and animal rennett/powder etc too.
Even basic pastries and such might also not be suitable as they've been made with butters enhanced with animal fat. Most sweets aren't suitable for veggies either which sucks as they rarely have the right info on them.

So not all notices and messages on food are actually "stupid" if you take time to think about them, but "meat flavour" and "chocolate falvour" should be banned I reckon! Although I can't wait for chocolate flavour gammon steaks and bacon to come out biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
The only think I'm concerned about is your choice of pie.

Chicken and Mushroom all the way
Steak and Kidney is just wrong
Kidneys? C'mon dude, it's the bodies piss factory...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

becciPancake Maker
151 posts

Posted:
I was going to say pretty much the same thing dunc, it is amazing what has animal stuff in. I was shocked to find Stella has fish in it.

I don't think there is enough labelling of vegi and vegan foods, i have to spend ages doing research and reading labels- for example, the vitamin D that is added to lots of breakfast cereals is animal derived. It is very strange what they choose to add animal too.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"Steak and Kidney is just wrong"

The choice of kings....

...is all I have to say tongue

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I've seen the peanuts that may contain traces of nuts before...

My favourite warning was on my stereo - "don't clean with benzene as that may destroy the plastic." Apart from giving you cancer, I suppose it may rolleyes

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Lamb and Mint flavour contains "Lamb Powder"

lol I had an image of fluffy sheep going up a conveyor belt and coming out the other end as powder ubblol

You know they do wash the kidneys first, if you dont like kidneys you can soak them in milk if you make your own pie, it takes alot of the kidney edge off, course I think kidneys are yummy anyway in pies. I'll eat allmost anything me

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
My sisters hair dryer has "Do not use in the bath"

My BB gun has "Do not point at the peculiar creature"

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Is there not already a dumb warnings thread somewhere?

*throws caution to the wind in an extremely over-acted and exuberant motion, with his cape billowing majestically in the aforementioned wind*

Irons say "Do not iron clothes on body".

smile

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
They have a sign ON THE BOTTOM of some frozen dinners. "Do Not Turn Upside Down"

Don't mind me, just passing through.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Braille signs on toilet doors.

I'm confused as to how the person would arrive at the door in the first place, if they weren't looking for them? And surely if they ask someone where the toilets are, the person will say "Take the left hand one"?

But hey, paraffin containers say "keep away from mouth"... guess who ignores *that* on a regular basis... rolleyes

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
i think the best one was on the bottom of a box of celebrations: "Do not read while box is open" tongue

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

10,530 posts

Posted:
there was one for a microwave: Do not use the "other" way.

biggrin

And there was "Instructiuons: Do not open box before reading this". Problem was, you had to open the box to get them smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Stupid warning:

On Pritt sticks: - 'Push Up Bottom' ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm sure most of the funny ones are deliberately written by bored people at work.

I know that I'd do something similar if I had a job that involved nothing more exciting than writing 'may contain nuts' warning labels on peanut packets.

Also, the chances are that peanut packets don't contain any nuts at all - peanuts aren't actually nuts tongue
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1130434796)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
i only found out last summer that jelly was made from gelatine which was from boiling bones or something

they have to by law put warnings on everything to protect the manafactuars as if they dont and someone is allergic or does something to harm themselves they can still sue if there was no warning on the product
i work in a food industry we have to tell everyone that the white chocolate and macadonian nut cookies contain nuts

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

dizzybintmember
26 posts

Posted:
i think argos is wierder sorry i know its a bit off the topic but it is.

hi

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
In this factory robot/machine processed world, you'd be amazed at some of the things that go (not as specific ingredients, but as incindentals) into the foods available. The peanuts one is a basic and classic example and was explained by dani_babyboo. The machines that make the products that have that warning, also manufacture other products that contain nuts, and nuts can be a large allergy issue to many.

The more we process things, the more we get away from "natural" foods and breathe generally toxic airs.. the more allergies will become an issue. I'm sure if you'd ask around, you'd be well surprised how many folks are allergic to wheat (many more so than even really know it)..

So, yeah, some warnings are necessary...

I'm still waiting for foods to contain the warning: "May contain trace to chunky amounts of insect content. But don't worry, it's a good source of protein".

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
my favorite warning is on a toaster "do not use in shower"

whats fun is when you get the international lables

US will have about 3 pages

UK will have about 3 lines

Aus 3 words tongue

back

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
ok - stella has fish in?
i love stella.i hate fish...but i love stella eek
I'm conflicted!!!
B x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Regarding Tesco - my clubcard came today. Yay.

[/spam]

Willy - is bad for your health...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Chickpea

ok - stella has fish in?
i love stella.i hate fish...but i love stella eek
I'm conflicted!!!
B x

It's not so much that it has fish in it, but nearly all mass produced beers are filtered through fish bones to clean up the sludge and enhance the flavour and there's something about using checmicals from fish bladders aswell. Why fish I don't know but there you go....

Let's relight this forum ubblove

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I read in the paper t'other day, that the Guiness for one never comes into contact with the fishy-bits used...

Willy - is bad for your health...

SDLWSILVER Member
326 posts

Posted:
Funniest warning i ever saw was on a childs superman dressing up outfit
warning this outfit will not help you fly

Tell me and I forget, Show me and I remember, Involve me and I understand

Page: