Page:
T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
ok going to post this in the right section now

think this is going to be a half rant half disscusion type of post

rant part:
many staffer today only seem interested in learning contact and not how to spin. This might sound stange coming for me as i generally spends most of my time with a staff rolling over one part of my body or another but I it is important to know how to spin properly a fluidly.

When you spin fire in front of people that don't know much about staff if you go straight into contact they won't have a clue how hard it is and cos it's so hard to keep in plane it just looks wobbly and generally pants. Also you have to hold the staff at some point (well maybe) and if you can't spin fluidly when you do it just makes you look like a really bad spinner.

the other thing is that spinning a staff fast is an art, it's not easy to do well, it look grate when it is done well and if you don't pratice it you'll never be able to do it.

The times I've got best responce from a crowd the burn normally goes abit like: big burn off, 1 min of just nice spinning, next min start teasing them with afew contact move, next 30sec or so do some big fat contact combs then end it with some nice fast spining and afew throws.

right thats the rant over with the disscusion part is carrying on in the same vane. what spinning moves do you like?

i'll start you off with afew

2 beat stuff: thumb end stays in front of you little fingure end behind you, this stuff is grate for looking silly (alway a good thing) eshally by doing lots of turns by shuffulling you feet round in as many tiny step as you can get away with. also twisting your self up with extra spins then staying twisted by going into 2beat spinning

carrying an extra spin over your head: bit of a hard one to explain, basicly from backward figure of 8 when the staff is behind you bring your arm over your head (so your head goes into the space between your arm and the staff) this will give you an extra beat behind you. this looks really nice when done smoothly.

ok am going to shut up now hope this has made sense.
thought and comment welcome.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: strugz

Then try contact with nice planes FRD ubbloco

Thats what I worked on this weekend. Two almost full days of nonstop spinning and I still cant get any of it looking perfect!

Bah! Total lameness!

But I've almost cracked steves (elusive B@astard that it is)... and came oh so close to the matrix. And a loverly miss Lemming showed me hoe conveyore belts work ubblove smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

arbitrary_number_2newbie
21 posts

Posted:
i reckon the best twirler is the person whose contact and twirls are more or less the same.I love seeing it when a twirlers twirls get closer and closer to their body and then without noticing it you realise that their hands arent guiding the staff anymore. spinning but still keeping contact with the body is a beautiful way to twirl. And real satisfying to do, it makes you move your body and forces you to twirl, not just the staff.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Contact, in my eye, is becoming more and more overrated. I'm becoming less impressed by it

don't know I'd go as far as this. I still think contact stuff is some of the most impressive stuff that can be done with a staff but it's not the be all and end all of staff and looks best when combied with grate all round spinning.

Written by: mcp

I don't think people should fight over this

I do wink It'd make cheaking hop far more interesting

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Aye, but I prefer to leave the arguments to the poi spinners. It's much more funny that way, cos I have no particular side I want to be on...

Right then, bring it on T&B!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
*ponders whether to enter debate....*

should i? should i not?

hmm,mmmmmmm.

meg? make up my mind for me, please.

ta.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Only if you're on my side! wink

Or bored...

Or you want to use your leet capoeira skills to beat us both up.... biggrin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

Right then, bring it on T&B!

why would I want to fight with you, you're only a girl, I was hoping for a proper fight not a one sided, no effort, walk over tongue

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
indeed. good that you've spotted you've no chance tim, so why bother?

R

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
biggrin

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ubblol
is all my contribution to this thread

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
there's something wrong with 1337 spelled leet..... its like... i mean, i hate 1337... but....
its still wrong!!!!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Harry_PotterToadStool Circus Acts
181 posts

Posted:
if its spelt right it should be 31373, Elite, or thats the nearest u can get. But doesnt all that talk annoy you. Pwn, Own, Noob, Haxor etc etc.

Yo-yoist, Staffer and 3 Ball and Club Juggling
'Its people like us, who make them feel talentless.'

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
If it was leet, it would be written in binary. As it is, it's just l33t.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
WTF confused confused
and I thought I as abit random????

p.s. Meg and Rob stop ganging up on me or I'll get my mum on you ubbcrying ubbcrying

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
oooooooo, poor little timmy doesn't have an older brother! You could get Psi to try and beat us up, he almost has enough hair to match the two of us. (You however, as a pushover on the hair front.)

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
if we're taking sides im gonna create my own side and woop you all.... bring it ooon!
on the spinny contacty thingy i am particularly loving a new move ive robbed off rob (pardon the pun).
its that cool spin into a matrix from shoulder to oposite arm and then catch it between your legs (uberstaff 05 vid), lots of potential for weird spinning entry and twisty spinny exits. Also found if you turn a bit more and dont catch between the legs you can make it spin down your leg and catch it with your foot.
i think the main problem with most contact is its done around the shoulders and arms and if you are doing a mostly contact set it can become a little boring keeping the staff in one area of the body. getting it to travel the whole length of the body breaks up a set more and confuses people as to what the hell you just did. This is definittly something im gonna be playing with more from now on.
i know im preaching to the converted to tim and rob but meg when was the last time you used any of the lower part of your body? Hmmmm?

"Don't do it naked!"

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: -sandy-

i know im preaching to the converted to tim and rob but meg when was the last time you used any of the lower part of your body? Hmmmm?

is it just me thats reading that out of context ubblol

Great choice of words sandy ubblol

So......meg?

Id agree with the whole contact thing being dominated by the upper part of your body - however ive come to get around that by sitting down doing contact and generally squatting alot......... it kinda helps......... going up and down all the time really messes with your contact and can get the staff rolling in all sorts of unwanted and unexpected places smile

Which is usually how the most unlikley / unthought about moves are created IMO biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
oi you two get your dirty contact talk out of my thread spank

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
oh yeh sorry..........

**spinny spinny spinny spin spin spin**

like a girly ballerina ubbloco

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
legs don't have hands so everything you do with them is contact! Yay!

Ninja_Davemember
58 posts

Posted:
i hate my legs

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
so do i wink

but in the words of bender: "I like yoo!"

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
meg. get off my computer and lets do some filmage.

spank (glesgae stylee...)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yay!
Woot!
For filmage

*looks out at dampness*

Bugger

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Rob's hair is just hair, tho.....

and meg's hair is LEGENDARY.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Alright Vodka! Fuzz yer arse fer lovebites yer bampot.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Alcofrolics

Getting to the other side smile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ubblol

go firepoise!

and I agree about the vodka... but er... is the rest of that in english??!!! umm

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Its english english.

biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
roughly translated doric, innit?

Page: