Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > I can't do single handed 360 spins

Login/Join to Participate

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Can you tell me if i'm doing it right, this is my method:

Starting off with the staff in my left hand,the back of my hand facing upwards, I turn my hand clockwise, loosening my grip until the palm of my hand is facing backwards, then the momentem of the staff makes it roll over the side of my hand and back into my palm.

Is this wrong?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
That one way of doing it, you can do it the other way too, and when you spin anti-clockwise in your left hand, if you start knuckles up, twist your hand so that it's now knuckles down, release the staff there, and let it wrap over your thumb and hand, it should become a continuous move with practise.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

278 posts

Posted:
hey that actualy works better smile it feels a lot smoother. even though i sometimes flick my wrist a bit too hard and my staff (curtain rail) goes flying behind me...but practice makes perfect aye?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
perfect practise makes perfect! biggrin Bad practise instills bad habits... So no more broken lamps eh! Slow down and keep in control! ubbrollsmile

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Hi there, I have been trying to do this too.
Do I have to grip with my thumb next to my index finger so that the staff wraps over my tumb and hand.
Jeff

278 posts

Posted:
I'm completely in control! *slowly shuffles infront of broken lampshade trying to hide it*

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Personally, I'm a big fan of beginners spending a while learning controlled movements before they start doing contacty stuff which has a tendency to fly all over the place, as once you get there you'll be in better control. Practicing spins which involve handing things off, for example, and maybe starting with some contact moves that arn't speedy-ish rotors right in front of you which physics tells you are a bit wilder than many things....

But I'm aware that thats just my opinion. Just throwing it out there, as your lamps and light bulbs might thank you.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
When I do the move Meg describes, my hand moves up the staff... how can I stop this while keeping the move constant?

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
It shouldn't. If it rolls over your thumb and then wrist, your hand should come back to the point it started at. Practise some, and you'll discover the differences for yourself.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
The post above, written by the fair lady Meghan, is the staff forum's 10,000th post.

Completely appropriate really, that it should be hers.

hug

Getting to the other side smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
eek

Harry_PotterToadStool Circus Acts
181 posts

Posted:
ahh im totally confused. I get the whole same problem as Sethis. But i dont get how u role it over ur thumb. Confuzzled.

Yo-yoist, Staffer and 3 Ball and Club Juggling
'Its people like us, who make them feel talentless.'

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
You know how you do a forward shotgun, snake, double spin?

On the front of your body, your hand has to twist into a kind of cradling position, then tranfers the staff behind you.

It's this extra snake beat you need to do before doing the hand wrap. So after the extra beat your hand is kunckle down and you release it and try and get it to roll over your wrist, beneath your thumb, or over the bas of your thumb and then the back of the hand. Your hand is all twisted round in one direction adn as the staff wraps to untwist it and twist it up again in the other direction in order to do the catch.

Make sense?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

You know how you do a forward shotgun, snake, double spin?

Would it help if I said I don't know what any of those are? I'm sorry, I'm one of those annoying spinners who just does stuff... and doesn't know what any of it's called. I'm aware this makes me a pain to talk to about moves... Sorry... redface

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
do you know a figure of eight? Just basic spinning with one hand at your side. (no contact) then a shotgun / snake / doublespin is adding an extra half spin on each side by twisting your arm and shoulder. (but not letting go of the staff or doing fingerspins or anything.)

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Thanks, that makes more sense now.
Jeff

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Wow! New move! I'm sorry... Thanks a lot Meg. Now I need to find a way to view your site outside so I can attempt all the ubblove contact you show...

Mr_chazBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
hey. the easiest way i have found to learn a full hand spin is to first to practice one of megs hand spins

https://meghan.tepookatoys.com/crap.html#mult-hand-rolls

you know, when you pass it from one hand to the other, a contact hand roll i think is the proper term. just practice this first (without bringing ure hand underneath to continue he motion. it goes over one hand, over the next then u grab it and pass it normally to the other hand, then u can do the same again).

Progress to the continuous one if you want, it fun! the main point is that practicing these get you used to controlling the staff on the back of your hand. Once you have mastered them then a full hand spin will come naturally