Forums > Help! > Twirling and hurty wrists

Login/Join to Participate

DwinBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Hello everybody! I have just started staff twirling but I got straight ahead some problems.

After twirling for half an hour my wrists are already hurting so badly that I have to stop. I am just afraid that my wrists are too weak and I will only get muscle infection or something. Could there be something wrong wiht my twirling technic? Did you have this kinds of problems when you began twirling ? If so tell me what you did for it!

Could it be also possible that it will just get better when I twirl more and more and then some day I can just twirl for hours and hours wiht out any problems?

Thank you for all your answers!

(Sorry my English isn't that good but I think you got the point of this topic).

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Warm UP first! and then warm down after spinning. This means do exercises before you start to loosen up the joints, such as gently circling the wrists, elbows and everything else. Take it gently and slowly, you don't need to spin fast or make any jerky movements. And you won't get a muscle infection.

Slowly build the length of each sesion and the pace, let your wrists adapt, don't strain yourself.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Leaf is right, your body isnt used to the movements your wrists are making yet, so its best to warm up, stretch and rotate your joints, and do the same after as a cool down

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
get lighter sticks. this often means shorter sticks with thinner guage.
stretching noticeably reduces the chances of injury.
warmups reduces stiffness.
llamas produce wool.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
make sure you hold the stick comfortably, and don't tense up too much to begin with. If your hand is in a bad position to start with it'll hurt a lot.

Start with 5 min twirling 2 min break or something like that and build it up smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
whispers ..Do Poi weavesmiley

Warmups make a difference in some people and lighter sticks is a good idea too..

Some positions can strain your wrists easily weavesmiley

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
When people first start with staffs they often are actually 'turning' the staff using their muscular effort. They are also trying to control it, stop it falling...increasing the total strain. As you get more confident and consistent in turning accurately at the centre of the staff, the speed will increase, the momentum takes over and you must LIGHTEN UP how hard you'hold' or 'turn' it. It eventually is pretty much pivoting IN your hand rather than you actively turning it.

and I agree with Gnor

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
It may have something to do with technique.

In my experiance, when people first pick up a staff, they rotate the staff only half way before changin hands, which means that they're doing twice the work necessary.

Unfortunatly, I'm totally lame at describing hand motions... frown

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."