Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
biggrin

The guy completly deserves it. It seems pretty dumb to try and take on an industry thats pretty damn massive.

Thoughts, comments, abuse at me for being ever so slightly nerdish? wink

-edit-

Dunno who I'm on about? Read up on it ==> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_thompson

EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1137862586)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Who is jack thompson?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

10,530 posts

Posted:
Jack Thompson is a lawyer. He was big time.

A couple of years back, he tried to take on Rockstar and Take Two because of the game GTA: Vice City.

More recently, he's been campaigning about violent video games,
This pissed off a lot of gamers worldwide. he took them on, and they promptly kicked hiss ass.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
a character deserving of pity.
one wonders what could have been achieved if a man of that status and persistence could have aimed toward a noble goal instead.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

10,530 posts

Posted:
What annoyed me was how he sayed that his offer to give the money to charity was "satire" and that he wasn't going to do it.

Has the definition of satire changed whilst I was asleep or something?

KradBRONZE Member
60 posts

Posted:
LOL wot a nutter, it would be impossible to ban games with that cozz of the shear revenue factor. Personally if violent games get taken of the market, the market will calapse as 80% of games are violent in 1 way or another, and I would plan a killing spree to release my agression and I'm sure so would 1000s of other deranged children as the blood lust must be fulfilled!!! devil

*shrugs and turns back to killing zombies*

"Hold on tight to what you love and cherish, allways stand up for what you know to be right. Live everyday as if it were your last, and dont forget to smile!"

KradBRONZE Member
60 posts

Posted:
Oh and what does Satire mean? redface

"Hold on tight to what you love and cherish, allways stand up for what you know to be right. Live everyday as if it were your last, and dont forget to smile!"

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Satire is a Latin word meaning "to lie with finesse" in Russian. American lawyers use it when they rip people off. I know this because I’m in law school, where you have to learn a bit of Latin. angel2

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

biggrin

The guy completly deserves it. It seems pretty dumb to try and take on an industry thats pretty damn massive.

Thoughts, comments, abuse at me for being ever so slightly nerdish? wink

What else can I say but f*** yeah! Take that you game hateing lunitic. biggrin

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I think if I could put across the point that violent games are bad, then one of the worst ways to do it would be to get someone to create a violent game for me?

Surely it would make more sense to make a non-violent game that sells well, and thereby proves my point?

Oh, wait. Myst is the best selling PC game of all time. Violence content: Zero.

The Sims (another of the top games). Violence content: Zero.

Idiots.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
He dislike's the sims as well.

Something to do with a mod that removes the shower blur revealing (gosh!) nothing but flat polygons.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Anyone know his stance on violent films and what difference he says there is between those and games?

The modding community should make a skin for UT that looks exactly like him, then you could walk up with a Flak Cannon and *Blat*.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Written by: Patriarch917

Satire is a Latin word meaning "to lie with finesse" in Russian.

That was either very clever, or the opposite... smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
[Latin satira, probably alteration (influenced by Greek satur, satyr, and saturos, burlesque of a mythical episode), of (lanx) satura, fruit (plate) mixture, from feminine of satur, sated, well-fitted. See s- in Indo-European Roots.]

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

10,530 posts

Posted:
This guy is such an arse. If such a place exists, he's going to hell.

From GamingHorizon.com:

"Earlier this month, gamer named Mitchell S. with the online screenname "Kuja105" who posts on a few online videogame forums (including GameFaqs.com and MetalGearSolid.org) committed suicide. On January 2 he posted a message in both forums detailing his intent to end his own life, citing overwhelming complications with school and finances.

A very brief period of initial disbelief was followed by a barrage of replies from fellow forum members pleading that he not take his life, trying to talk him out of it.

For days, no word was heard from Mitchell. Fearing the worst, members and administration from metalgearsolid.org began searching for contact information, spending hours on the phone trying to get in touch with him. Finally on January 4, Ryan K., an administrator at metalgearsolid.org, got him on the phone and spent hours desperately trying to talk him out of it.

Sadly, Mitchell soon ended his own life by consuming antifreeze and painkillers.

Later, members from the site contacted Mitchell's family to find out the grave news. They reported it to their online community, and posted a tribute to their passed friend on the front page of metalgearsolid.org." Full Report Here ==> https://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2/1137635340.3198.html

Mr. Jack Thompson then sent in the following letter regarding the situation to MetalGearSolid.org, one of the forums frequented by Mitchell, where he was known well:

"Your "gamer friend" will find peace through the Lord, Jesus Christ, but sadly it's too late for that.

There is a void in every heart. You can fill it up with the things of God, or the things not of God. This unfortunate soul chose to fill it up with combat games. The playing of these video games is masturbatory activity, meaning senseless self-stimulation. If you gamers could use a dictionary you would know that that term is not necessarily a sexual one.

The real tragedy here extends beyond the life and death of this one fellow. There are literally millions of young people and young adults whose despair is deepend by turning to the things of this world and then finding them meaningless.

All of you gamers need to put down the controllers and get a life. The utter inanity of the vast majority of postings here shows how vapid "gaming" really is.

You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.

Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess.

Sad. Sad for all of you."

mad

https://www.metalgearsolid.org/featurez/articles/mitch_article.php
- Here is an article written by friends and peers of Mitchell at MetalGearSolid.org.

frown

-edit-

Dunno who I'm on about? Read up on it ==> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_thompson

EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1137862555)

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Saddly, some people get a "calling".

Now then, I find people like Jack Thompson abhorent. What piece of legister can I lobby to get him banned?

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.