Page:
thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
Can you be depressed and know about it...

I've been depressed before and I rememebr not realising it until I was too deep to help myself and aren't you not supposed to notice a mental illness in youreself....

But recently I've been feeling very similar to how I did when I was depressed and I'm not sure if this is just me being a little fed up or I'm going back into it? or maybe I'm just a little parnoid?

but I was hoping you lot could help with this point cos I know that ignoring my worries is a bad move and I find it much easier to type my problems into a computer than to actually talk to someone I know...

thanks xx

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I've been managing my depression for nearly ten years now - drug free. I found it hard talking to people too, and typing whats bothering you really does help a great deal, gets it out in the open and makes you feel like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders.
In my experience, depression normally follows a row with someone, or following a break up. I acted as if i didnt want attention, but really, deep inside, i did, hence I did all manner of things, which for some reason I tried to hide.
It started in my teens and with my hormones raging, as you can imagine, it was at it's worst.
If you feel like you're being sucked into that black hole again, talk to someone. Even better, go out, meet new people, they'll distract you from your problems, whatever they may be.
If you're a shy person (like I used to be) bear in mind that you may never see these people again so you needn't worry about fouling up. I used to pretend I was someone else - it gave me way more confidence. You may even meet a person who will become a good friend.
Friends are good smile

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
st john's wort has a history of being a diet supplement helpful in mild depression, i can send you some if you want to try it out!! otherwise, most supermarkets have bottles if you want to give that a go!

by the way, hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

332 posts

Posted:
yea one of my friends drinks st johns wort herbal tea but I cant stand it.... i might go out and buy some though, large ammounts of sugar might cover up the taste. and thanks for the lots of hugs.

n i know what you maen about acting like you dont whant attention but you do Tinklepants, I used to self harm and I hid it from everyone (even my mum didnt notice). I'm not sure why it's happening but I'm having a hard time with my family at the moment and I haven't been doing to well in the relationship department but I don't blame other people I think its just me letting everything get n top of me

thanks for the advice xxxx

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

KradBRONZE Member
60 posts

Posted:
I'm not really very good and giving advice or sorting peoples problems, so I'll just hug hug hug hug

ANd there is more where that came from if u need them, just remember ur never alone and other people may have gone thru allmost them same situations as u. kiss

"Hold on tight to what you love and cherish, allways stand up for what you know to be right. Live everyday as if it were your last, and dont forget to smile!"

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Firstly here is a hug for having the courage to stand up and speak. Sometimes the Net community is easier to speak to because you feel slightly removed from the people you are talking to. The Keyboard acts as a shield.

Secondly just because you are noticing that you are feeling down doesn't mean you are not depressed. As you said, you have been there and done that before, so now you can see the warning signs. The faster you pick up that you are slipping down into the pit the less of the ladder you have to climb back up to get out again, so its good you have seen the signs and are seeking to do something to help yourself.

The best way of dealing with depression that I have found is to seek out the root cause. Sometimes this can be a hard and rocky path to take, but I've found that the results of doing it help you much more than just putting a band-aid of drugs over the depression. I'm not saying that drugs have no place in treating depression as I'm sure you and many other people know that they do and in some cases are vital to aid recovery. To discover the cause (if there is one) helps you to find coping strategies that you can use anytime the depression strikes.

I take St Johns Wort pills (available at most health food stores) in the winter because I find it helps me cope with the shorter darker days that trigger off my low moods. I am about to buy a light box too in the hope that helps. There are a few things you need to know before taking St Johns Wort. Don't take it if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Don't take it without Doctors advice if you are on any other medication. Also don't take it if you are liable to be out in the sunshine as it makes your skin very sun sensitive. It, I believe, also affects some of the types of contraceptive pills effectiveness, although I'm not sure which ones if not all of them.

Meeting people, as said before, is also a good way of making you feel better. There is nothing worse than sitting at home alones brooding on things. That just makes things worse. Join clubs that have set meeting times. This gives you something to aim for in the day and gets you out of the house meeting new people.

Exercise is also a good way of lifting the blues. It triggers off lots of happy chemicals in the brain and it keeps the rest of your body fit.

Eat as much fresh food as you can and avoid foods heavy-laden additives, salt and sugar. Try to keep your body well hydrated too, so drink lots of water. Avoid Caffeine and other stimulants.

Most of all remember you are not alone. There are lots of us out here that have also been there done that who are willing to offer you support on your bad days, and rejoice with you on your good ones.

hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
When people are seriously depressed, their mind deludes them into thinking that they've ALWAYS been depressed, and that they always will be.

If you're feeling down now, you might be experiencing the same thing but to a lesser extent. You probably think that you've been unhappy much longer than you have actually been... the melancholic mind can't be trusted. Just remember you'll probably be fine in a couple of days, believe in yourself enough and this will become a reality... hope is the key.

You've recovered from it before, you can do it again.

332 posts

Posted:
thanks everyone i needed it hug youre all angels angel

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i got depression when i was 17, and i knew about it. i felt like utter crap. i hope you're ok, and if you ever need hug hugs, you know where to come!! you'll get through it! :d

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
No, most people do notice mental illness. They come in complaining, in the case of depression, that they haven't felt good in ages. That they always feel sad, afraid, alone, even though they have no reason to. They complain that they don't feel like getting out of bed in the morning, they don't eat, they sleep all the time, and they don't feel like doing anything.

And depression is nothing to ignore. Serious Major Depressive Disorder is a lethal disease and needs to be treated.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

The best way of dealing with depression that I have found is to seek out the root cause.

But what to do once you've found it.. that's the next one.

Hope you feel better soon, mr BJ. You certainly can be depressed and know about it, but you can also just be low and mistake it for depression. If you're concerned you should see someone in mental health.

Depression is incredibly common. I always forget, but I think it's supposedly about 1/3 of the population will be touched by depression at some time in their life. And the vast, overwhelming majority get over it and go on to lead perfectly normal lives.

My advice? More sunlight, St John's Wort (works for some, plus the tea tastes nice whatever anyone says tongue ), CBT, a total change of surroundings, and learning to be brave/reckless and take risks.

Reading too many books can be extremely bad, in my opinion, because you hear the same root causes and a million different ways of tackling them. Stay focussed and you can destroy it. smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
A word on Saint John's Wort.

Saint John's Wort is a botanical product that contains a number of complex chemical molecules. Some of these may be neurologically active.

They are also metabolized in the liver by the Cytochrome P450 system, which is the same system that metabolizes the SSRI's such as fluoxetine (PROZAC).

It's not a benign drug. The side-effect profile (contrary to popular belief) is similar to that of SSRI's. The dosing is tricky because the dosage isn't standardized. There are numerous drug interactions, including alcohol.

If it's true depression, it really needs to be seen by a doctor. Like I said, it's a potentially lethal disease. Just because it's a disease of the brain doesn't invalidate its seriousness.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

332 posts

Posted:
I had depression a wile ago... about a year and I dont think i really truly got out of it... i saw the doctor and he gave me pills that were placebo's thinking I was too young to really need anything and sent me to a councellor...

this councellor was terrible she didnt listen to what i had to say, she blamed me for all my problems and she made me feel like I was just wasting her time wich made me feel even worse and then she told me I was fine when I really wasnt and didnt even attempt to help me find the root of the problem, I felt most of the time like she was using template therapy on me and not paying any attention to what I actually felt like but instead thinking about how it should go...

after her I started to get worse and worse until I met someone who intorduced me to other people andI gained all these new friends and by surrounding myself with them as much as I could the depression started to go away but it was never really dealt with...

now Im spending a lot of time on my own concentrating on studying and going on the internet a lot and because there arn't people around me a lot the feelings I felt then are just coming back and Im not sure if its best to just do what I did last time or to actually deal with them...

now you know most of it do you think this is real depression?

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Listen the Doctor.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
Written by: thegreatBJ

this councellor was terrible she didnt listen to what i had to say, she blamed me for all my problems and she made me feel like I was just wasting her time wich made me feel even worse and then she told me I was fine when I really wasnt and didnt even attempt to help me find the root of the problem, I felt most of the time like she was using template therapy on me and not paying any attention to what I actually felt like but instead thinking about how it should go...

You have to shop around - you have to find a mental health professional (counsellor/nurse/pyschologist/whoever) who you feel you trust, can confide in and most importantly listens to you. i had an absolutely vile counsellor when i was about 15 and depressed. i know its not easy and you can sometimes feel nervous about asking for a new counsellor but they are professionals and used to that situation. in the end i just stopped going, but now i wish i'd been more aware of my rights as a patient to the care i needed.

hughughug i hope it gets better for you x

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Thought I may as well post on HoP as I don't really know what else to do!

I'm in a right pit at the moment, gang. My depression relapsed about 2 months ago and I can't stop crying, I stay in my pajamas most of the day and pretty much 90% of the time I am planning my suicide.
But I can't do it because I know it'd upset people. So I feel trapped in a life of inner despair.

Sounds ridiculous and melodramatic doesnt it. I feel pathetic to be honest.

I like being the person who is silly and who makes people laugh, but I dont know where that person has gone, I try to bring her back.

MOst of the time now i couldnt care less whether I lived or not. *sigh*

hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
I don't know what to say to you hunnylove that I haven't already- other than you know no one on here will think what you say sounds ridiculous or melodramatic...

You make me laugh, and I am so proud to have you as a friend!

Non-Https Image Link

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Jo I feel like that alot of the time, I do function but feels like I'm on autopilot most of the time. I don't cry because I feel like I have nothing left in me. I just feel nothing except weary.

To be honest I'm not even sure I do have depression because I've not been to see the doctor about properly about it. But accord to other people I've spoken to who have had it said it was very likely.

The only way I combat it is to disassociate it from myself and just think of it as a disease, nothing more...

hug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i didn't know what to say so i sent you flowers redface

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hug hug

I know it's not part of me, I know it's an illness, but that doesnt make it any easier. In fact it scares me. Where do I go when the depression overtakes?!

I just had a shower and am trying hard to be ok.

Thanks for the loving everyone. hug

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Just think of yourself as a cute little hedgehog who wants/needs to hibernate but can't because it needs to knit a few jumpers to keep your friends warm... smile hug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
you're the hedgehog, I'm a momma bear! hug

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I know this doesn't help much, but here: kiss hug kiss hug2

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
bear, hedgehog.........either way you feel the need to hibernate but cant jo hug

i don't know how but i've managd to not get too down........even when i was home alone on ew years eve with no money and no smokable unmentonables.

i supposae it's because i'm keeping myself busy (even if it is researching portable toilets)

hug

there IS a light at the end of the tunnel jo, and i believe you'll make it out of the darkness into the warm sunshine in time just stick in there and don't give up hug

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Birgit hug kiss ubblove

Al, hug I wont give up babes, it just bloody sucks ass!! ubblol

ubblove

7,193 posts

Posted:
hug i know jo, but read my sig wink

7,193 posts

Posted:
thats the funny thing about depression, no matter what people say or do trying o help it just makes you back off even more.

basicly i pushed everyone that was close to me so far away even now they find it hard to connect with me..................thats why i found some people that are on my level and understand.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Not being very good at writing sentiment, I'm hoping you'll take this hug as a thousand words.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Thanks Jon, Al and Stout hug

If I was an Eeyore type of person, someone who was constantly on the negative side of life I don't think it'd matter.
But I'm more of a Tigger. The real me. When I get like this it's just like I've drowned and some monster has taken my place! It's so horrible. Roll on Spring!!

I like to be the one who cheers people up, who makes other people happy. When I'm miserable and feeling like I want to die, it just makes others miserable, which in turn makes me feel worse! Dag nabbit! xx

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i just had this discussion with bf cause i am slipping backwards
make sure your diet is balanced and healthy (i need to work on that)
make sure you get enough light, even if you go wander around the block in your pjs and bunny slippers
make sure you express yourself, your real friends will stand by you
just because you know you should feel a way does not make it so, obviously. we know that. some of our friends don't, so i go for "i know that i have nothing to feel bad about and you telling me that only makes me feel guilty (or some other appropriate emotion) and makes my depression worse because i can't appreciate this (or that)" or "just because you say something doesn't make it so"
depends how crabby i am
counselors good
at least once a day drag but out of bed, clean up, and go spin, or go window shopping-something that you used to enjoy, or something with bright colors
i also found finding a safe quiet place outside of the house provides the necessary venture outside and find a calmness of the spirt
lastly, think of depression as a climate (long termish) but enjoy the weather (short term) because the accumulation of weather makes up the climate

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
This is going to sound like a bi of a swiz but natural light bulbs are great for S.A.D. I have one in my room and its just better!

Mind you, i've found a drug that works for me, so i'm ok at the moment, i've removed from my job, the one that was slowly killing me, and i'm just having a time out.

Look at your life, and tell yourself that you're still breathing, and that people care for you, and the world turns, and soon it will be spring.

Thats what I have to do every day. The drugs help, but theyre never a solution in and of themselves.

Just remember Jo and Faith, that the invisible fairies that live in your computer, called HoPpers, love you very dearly, and if they are round your way, they'll call in for a cuppa and a chat, and the world will be a brighter place.

Haven't you heard? Thats what HoPpers do!

hug z and more hug z from a slow recoverer!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Page: