• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Videos > Poi Spinning Hidden Magic V The Art of Poi with Diane Paulger

Login/Join to Participate

Igirisujin
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2666
Posted:If anyones thinking of getting a DVD on poi spinning, dont bother getting Poi Spinning Hidden Magic. I just got it in the post today and decided to watch it, all they actually give you tips on is a butterfly, a carry turn, 3bt weave and ...waitr no I think thats it. The rest of the dvd is filled out with the different types of poi to buy from poipoi (where I got it from) and a few clips of random spinners.

Its over in about half an hour, your much netter of buying The art of poi from here instead! Thats a worth while video.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Delete Topic

TheWibbler
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

old hand

Total posts: 920
Posted:Yeah the guy who made that dvd is a complete joker, it's soooo bad isn't it. Fortunately i didn't pay for it, i got given it as an example of how NOT to make a dvd wink

Personally i think their poi suck too...

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Delete

Richee
BRONZE Member since Jan 2002

HOP librarian

Total posts: 1841
Posted:Can you describe the cassete more, name of author, date of manufacture..?

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

Igirisujin

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:The cassette is the one you buy from the HoP shop, and allmost all the way through its Diane teaching you poi moves, I think its about 40 mins of her doing that? All the free lessons are frames from her video, you get your moneys worth for that one, and its much cheaper too! Im afraid I dont know many details about the cassette though sorry.

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Delete

Richee
BRONZE Member since Jan 2002

HOP librarian

Total posts: 1841
Posted:Its enough, thanks smile

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

Volcanogrrl
BRONZE Member since Apr 2001

Total posts: 9
Posted:Diane Paulger's video really is great. She presents well and is very graceful. I still refer to that video from time to time, I've had it 5 years.

I do all my own stunts...

Delete

Durbs
BRONZE Member since Sep 2001

Durbs

Classically British

Total posts: 5688
Posted:Given the close-knit nature of the Poi community, I'm surprised at the personal comments with regards to PSHM...
A lot of people know a lot of people on here and a lot of people are on HoP

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

misscorinthian
SILVER Member since Sep 2005

misscorinthian

old hand

Total posts: 784
Posted:Ooh I just came across this and feel I have to comment- I have both dvds, and I think they are both good and bad in different ways..I am glad I have both as it can be useful to cross refer between them. I think the weave lesson on hidden magic is genius- I don't think I would get it from Dianes lesson, but then that's hard for me to say as I had learned that already.
They both have very different styles, and you aint gonna like everyones style.. I love watching Ewin and I love his style but then I am a bit biased cus I think he is rather sexy redface
Also my poipoi stuff is outlasting other poi I have- the quality is better and the fact that most bits are interchangeable and personaliseable (?) makes any worn bits easy and cheap to replace...I am talking tails/leds only, I don't spin fire.

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Delete

coleman
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

coleman

big and good and broken

Total posts: 7330
Posted:i have not seen either dvd.

however, i know many people that have worked for and with poipoi and from the accounts of those experiences, i would personally never buy from them.

i tend to buy juggling and poi equipment from manufacturers that understand and love what they are producing and who they are producing it for - i do not believe that poipoi are a company that fit into this category.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:ditto

Delete

misscorinthian

misscorinthian

old hand

Posted:Okay, I hear you- now explain why....?

XLenX

Delete

coleman
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

coleman

big and good and broken

Total posts: 7330
Posted:i already explained why - several bad personal references.

when choosing a manufacturer/service provider to buy from recommendations are a big thing to me.

so when i hear the absolute opposite of a recommendation, several times, from both customers and consultants/employees, it heavily affects my likelihood of ever doing business with that company.

i'm not about to start slandering poipoi but i have stated my opinion of the outfit and i stand by it.

as i said, i have not seen either dvd so this is in no way a criticism of ewan's unique style or his superb teaching techniques smile

cole. x

EDITED_BY: coleman (1133800303)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:I have personally never owned a pair of PoiPoi.
I have however, heard lots (a few) of my friends saying that there were weakness in the poi (particularly the cobra ones), and the globall ones broke very easily.

But, as I previously stated, I have never owned a set and so I can only speak for what others have said to me, or that I have heard in conversation.

shrug

Delete

GeoffonTour04
SILVER Member since Nov 2005

enthusiast

Total posts: 360
Posted:I went through two sets of cobras in a few weeks of starting poi, they really are badly made & designed (with cheapo metal parts, tennis balls for the ends etc, frayed fingerloops)

I currently use a set of their globalz but they're only useable since I replaced all the hardware with similar bits from a hardware store.

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:biggrin

Delete

Sporky

Sporky

addict

Total posts: 663
Posted:I bought a pair of cobras a while ago and broe the little swivel on the heads within an hour. I then used the tennis balls for soc poi and the tails for covers for my fire poi.

their globallz are ok although a friend recently had one of her LEDs stop working (I'm currently rebuilding it)

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Delete

Glåss
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Glåss

The Ministry of Manipulation

Total posts: 2523
Posted:
Personally I wouldn't get either of those videos. I've heard that a new dvd was complete last month and is out this month. and its by the teacher that I would happily recommend.
One of the very best spinner in the world, slean planes and timing like you would not believe
and a very careful and patient teacher too:
Hmm I'm hinting right.
maybe this is a clue:
http://www.playpoi.com/

Delete

Suibom

Suibom

addict

Total posts: 577
Posted:Lookin forward to that vid for sure! Tho, I'm not so sure about the slean planes...

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Delete

Zauberdach

Zauberdach

Sometimes sword wofter

Total posts: 199
Posted:looks great. He was at uberpoi, very nice guy smile

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

Delete

jonathan

enthusiast

Total posts: 210
Posted:man, u can never be to proud to learn fom anybody.........

sometimes we can get set in our ways and a newbie will see things that we have missed.

eeerm, well actually im real set in my ways and its happened a few times wink. usually its not what they want you to notice but it gets you thinking about how other moves can be done.

always always always make your own poi. you can get all sorts of stuff for wicking, stuff to protect the wicking ect. ive found its a good way to save money and they turn out just as good (if not better) and just how you like 'em.

or just buy them ha ha ha ubbrollsmile

theres some real good spinners out there these days a? weavesmiley

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:Written by: Glss

Personally I wouldn't get either of those videos. I've heard that a new dvd was complete last month and is out this month. and its by the teacher that I would happily recommend.
One of the very best spinner in the world, slean planes and timing like you would not believe
and a very careful and patient teacher too:
Hmm I'm hinting right.
maybe this is a clue:
http://www.playpoi.com/

Wow. That's awesome.

The world is suddenly a slightly better place.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Sniper
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Sniper

Snoochie-boochie-noochies!

Total posts: 663
Posted:i'm guessing 98% of the people who say this dvd gave it a quick glance because it came free with their latest fire set. while it might not teach much to those of us who have moved on to fire, we can't forget about the newer spinners who might live too far/be too young to get to a local meet (if there even is one) to get that 'outside perspective' on how the very basics should be done.

thinking as an absolute poi virgin, it is a reasonably well thought out walk through the most basic moves and simple combos that we all invariably started from (come on anyone who's first "official" poi "move" (quoted for the 'there are no moves!!!' army) wasn't a weave/butterfly variant hands up)

Delete

misscorinthian

misscorinthian

old hand

Posted:ditto
Take my situation..I saw someone do poi at a jc waaay back and thought I'd love to do it. Several years later my hubbie gives me a set for a pressie... I have no friends that do poi, and have never really seen it done apart from that one time. I got familiar with the things- and then bought the hidden magic disc cos I didn't no what to do next, I didn't even no what you could do with poi. I found the basic lessons useful and also the info on types of poi, as well as the footage of people spinning.

Here I am a year later, my husband and a mate of his are doing poi too now, I have a few different sets of poi, I have some COL discs and the photos and vids people post here...had I been in this situation before I bought the disc, I wouldn't have felt the need, and if I had , I doubt I would have learned from it either, although I always like to watch footage of others spinning.

The "instructional videos" are aimed at beginners anyways, who have the right to be taught the basics..after that where you go with it and how you get there is up to you, I don't think that CAN be taught- it's very personal. Notice there are no "intermediate/advanced" instructional vids out there..

XLenX

Delete

BansheeCat
BRONZE Member since Jul 2005

veteran

Total posts: 1247
Posted:Hmmn, Glass is on the right track... Seen clips of the work in progress that looked fabulous, and of course, seen the real thing, live, which IS fabulous... ;-)
www.playpoi.com

Nick teaches a workshop here this weekend, we are so lucky on my little island! I think we shall have to have a release party!
Much Happiness.

other vid's -- loved all the ones I've seen, learn something from every one that crosses my path, though often what I learn is what not to do, or what does not work for me. But that is useful too!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

Delete

Igirisujin

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:The thing I dont understand is why is it so short? You can fit loads more on a dvd than they did.

Oh and another thing about poipoi, I bought some blue glowbalz and they arrived broken, I e-mailed them and they offerd to replace them, great cool its fine, except I waited three weeks to get them back without so much as an e-mail from them, I had completly given up and was abit miffed couse I thought Ide wasted my money.

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:"You can fit loads more on a dvd than they did."

Just because you can, it doesnt mean you have to.

Delete

mcp
PLATINUM Member since May 2003

mcp

Flying Water Muppet

Total posts: 5276
Posted:but people climb mount everest just because they can? tongueout:

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Delete

Igirisujin

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:Written by: UnbeatenChampionOfFighting

"You can fit loads more on a dvd than they did."

Just because you can, it doesnt mean you have to.

Only if you actually want something to be value for money

Delete

Asena
GOLD Member since Aug 2005

Asena

What a Bummer

Total posts: 3224
Posted:quality not quantity.... blah blah blah

Delete