ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
so i was out practicing a few days ago and decided i wanted to spin REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAALLLLLY slowly. so of course I tried it and did it too slow and the poi would just drop outa the air. well, i kept it up and got to the point where i could JUST BARELY keep the poi up there, the problem is thoug that the planes go all to crap and the circles change angles and such.

Well at first I was frustrated and kept trying to speed em up just a bit to keep the planes. Then i realised how if i let the poi do what they wanted and just gave em alil slight tug here and there, and dodged a bit, the poi would keep going real slow and make all kinds of weird patterns and such.

So im out there like this, poi going real slow, falling in different directions and making all kinds of messed up patterns and stuff and realized I was enjoying myself lol. My roomate walks outside and watches me for aminute and asks if i've been drinking cuz of the way i was stumbling around the poi and dodging them and what have you. Apparently I was good for a laugh or two at this point.

anyways, point is, quite fun and challenging to keep such a small amount of control and keep the poi going. Highly recommend ya go out and spin as slow as humanly possible and try to see how long you can keep up the drunken spinning!

loads of fun really.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
sounds like isolations to me

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Exactly what I was going to say smile

Slowness = nice.

allthough to the General Public, spinning as fast as your arms can take it is the best wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
mmmm.. isolations .. aka hoverpoi rotations heart hug ubblove

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
FRD: not true! or....only with fire...

I was spinning isolations all over the place a while ago in my local fields, and was told by some tourists I should go to the edinburgh festival!

I was very flattered, but told them they should probably go and see the people spinning there before saying that sort of thing....

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
point isolations I can see, but I'm not sure I agree with just the 'isolations' tag.. regular isolations dont necessarily go slow, nor do they come from wobbly spinning (since your hand following takes most of that out).. but going slow does open up for 90 plane changes and other angular changes as you make various twisted S like patterns stuck tip to tip.. not to mention mixing in the point isolations (think flower petals of different shapes)..

definately lots of fun.. especially if you throw an insides and what not in there..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Yup.. i didn't really consider the initial post to be about isolations. However, slow-mo isolations (as slow as you can get an isolation anyway, they generally need to go faster than a normal spin) are quite fun.. specially when you follow em around and move around em and such... hoverpoi rotations biggrin

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
yeh im not talkin about isolations (as i suck and can't do those yet, not well anyways), im talkin about spinning like a drunk guy. barely keeping control. quite fun. and yeah, it allows for quite drastic plane changes and such.

go get a poi, spin it slow, so slow that it ALMOST falls when it hit s the top of the arc, then let it go whereever it wants and just try and keep it moving (move yourself also) fun fun fun

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I know exactly what you mean! "Drunken master" style spinning.
My favorite kind of spinning!

Hugo (Ugoagogo on here) is the drunken master. Effortless bizzarre patterns with a few tricks thrown in for fun.

{runs off to make video}

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Post deleted cos it was poo rolleyes

Getting to the other side smile

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
thats kool, i'd love to see a video of someone doing it, tips and tricks and what have you! i have no video camera to film myself or i would have several vids of my spinning (drunken or not) up by now i assure you.

CalliusBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Heh, my style is quite similar to drunken style... though I'm not really "slow" persay... just hyper and chaotic (though the pace varies).