Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Question about fire staff wicks:

Login/Join to Participate

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Hello all! I'm very new to fire staffs. infact i don't own one at this point in time, i got a metal curtain rail with 2 sponges sticky taped to either side as padding. Anyway, to the point, i'm getting a proper fire staff for christmas(ain't mum's great), and i want to know what kind of wick i need, i've checked this site and i see wick that come's in strips, is this the right one, or is there a wick especialy made for fire staffs?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
The wick you want is called kevlar it comes in strips.

If you're mums getting you one I'd recomend going to Oddballs in London and getting a steve staff or getting one from tePooka toys https://www.tepookatoys.com
(insert shameless self promotion), the ones off this site are good too.

Always make sure that you get kevlar wicks sometimes if you get them in thailand they make them out of asbestos which is not nice.

If you are making your own there's loads of articles about on construction. Which are easy to find by doing a serach for them.

Good luck

Viva UGLY STAFF

278 posts

Posted:
ok, and will i need to buy the kevlar threat aswell?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Go to oddballs. Get a steve staff. They are nice. (Don't be told otherwise wink )

Bssically what ApprovingNinja said smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Try to head to a place you can check a few out to see how they feel - oddballs on camden lock is usually pretty handy.

Dont worry too much about wick. When you get a staff it will usually already have wick on it (otherwise it is more a stick really, anyway...) which should last absolutely ages.

For a bit more info have a read of this.

smile

278 posts

Posted:
Thanks a lot for your help guy's and girls smile

okaminewbie
1 post

Posted:
omg oddballs rocks i'm in there like, everytime i go to camden [i'm the short girl with dark hair who looks at the contact juggling stuff and the skateboards]

i'll be seeing you oddballa people soon, i'm buying a staff cos i like to buy random things then learn how to use them and staff looks like fun.
hehe, oh yeah, and if odd balls staff read this, has my black ball come in yet? my names maria btw,[you wrote me down]

sorry to use this as a kinda oddballs talky-to-and-about thingy completely off topic

sorry
smile biggrin juggle

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I don't know that the oddballs guys actually post here, sorry..

They are lovely tho, I wish they would, span in the park opposite the Camden shop with them a few months back juggle weavesmiley

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
the shop in brighton is a bit poo tho was kinda dissapointing

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I like the Brighton Oddballs shop. wink Helpful guys in there, although they seem very Diabolo-inclined.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
it is mostly full of over priced hoodies n skate shoes, all the equipment is badly organised and in the corner of the shop, and the staff looked at me quite moodily as i did wander over into the corner to look what stuff was actually there

have they had it rearranged recently???

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I dunno but if max is there he's very useful and normally gives me a discount ubblol probably because I go there knowing what I want and lots of it. best to check the website first and give them a call wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Na, the shop is still divided in half - with circus stuff at the back near the counter and skate cloths/trainers etc near the door.

I don't know their names, but the two guys I always see are always really interested in what Circus stuff you're buying. wink And insist on giving a demonstration!! ubblol

I bought my staff there real cheap, and then modified it when I got home with better grip and massive wicks. biggrin

I guess they need the skate cloths and such to keep the place going. :-\

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
When I went in they tried demonstrating a staff I was looking at (with disdain to be honest) and I nearly wet myself with laughter, should have asked if he wanted someone who could use the props to work there.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
He did try and convince me that the three-piece inner core Fire Staff was fantastic and as sturdy as a one-piece.

He was very disappointed when I didn't buy it...

I hate three-pieces.
I love the handiness of carrying them around, but I hate spinning them.

As I said, the guys in Brighton seem to be more Juggling and Diabolo inclined. smile

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
^^ what do you hate most about them, out of curiousity?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Hate was maybe a strong word. tongue

But I have played around with five different 3-pieces, one of which was my own, and I decided that I dislike the,m throughly.

They feel poorly weighted, and they begin to rattle after a while, and they feel far too flimsy for my liking - despite each of them being advertised as 'sturdy as a one-piece'. After spinning a solid one-piece, I don't think I could ever spin a flimsy 3-piece again.

Maybe I've just had experiences with particularly poor 3-pieces, but from what I've heard and form what I *have* experienced, they are certainly on my dislike list. wink

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
u must have a defective one... i have innercores and they are sturdy for me and i have a very martial style and throw them heaps.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Alex_Mstranger
2 posts

Posted:
I recently discovered that theres some new kids on the block that make some proper nice staffs of all kinds , fire ,practice, contact etc.. and they also supply Oddballs with them!

https://flamesngames.co.uk/section/6/1/staffs___staves_

https://flamesngames.co.uk/section/82/1/fng_aluminium_fire_staffs___contact_fire_staffs_

EDITED_BY: Alex_M (1229679580)