Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Can't weave, can't put the poi behind me. I'm useless. I give up.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
I have just hit myself very hard with my poi. Not cos I did a move wrong - well I did, but hitting myself was a result of the strop I was having!

I have been doing this for a week or so and have so far been able to spin them forwards and backwards, do the butterfly and giant butterfly, and...well....that's it.

Pants huh? ubbcrying

I have given up trying to do the behind the head butterfly. I cannot get the poi to go behind my head. I just garrot myself.
So I moved onto the weave instead.
I can do something approximating it. A kind of figure of eight with one poi sort of chasing the other. But it is not the 3-beat one.
And I cannot get my head around it! I've stared at the video and instructions, as well as others on the net. I just cannot figure out what to do differently to the basic fig-8.

Any suggestions? Before I quit this all as a bad hobby that I just cannot do!?

*stomps off to find her poi which she threw across the room*
*looks a little embarrassed by childish tantrums*

redface

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
I'd love to come back and visit! I plan to definately do that soon.
My bloke still works up there - working from home down here and travelling up occasionally.

I am pretty sure I have the weave now, but my left shoulder is killing me (and I haven't even spun that much - must be very unfit!)

The 3d video/commentary thing sounds great - I'll have to capture my local poiers to demonstrate - Maus!?! wink

Boo x

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
yeah come back to cambridge! but you should have lots of people to practise with in cornwall.

Actually, my woman is there right now! Maybe we can have some sort of exchange programme?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
Dr Boo...tis I the woman of LazyAngel. I've sent you a PM with my number. Give me a tinkle and we can meet asap!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
Thanks Guys!
Winged Avenger I have PMed you back.

You're all lovely and fluffy!!
biggrin

Boo x

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
I, too, started with the 2- beat figure-eight weave. Here's my attempted explanation for how you can go from it to the 3- beat.

Try leading with both hands, switching every ten cycles or so. Think about how you're making the poi do circles on either side of you, how they're staying in their little planes. (They actually don't in the 2- beat weave, but pretend they do.)
Then, if you're leading with your left hand, (which was easier for me), when you have crossed over to the right side, do the two beats that go on that side, but instead of crossing your left hand over to the left side again, keep it where it is, letting it swing back down on your right. At this point, your left hand poi is down on the right side, and your right hand is on top of it, with its poi pointing up.
Bring your right hand poi down on the left side. Your right hand has now crossed over the left arm, and the left poi is pointing up. Bring your left hand poi down on the left side, taking it out from under the right arm.
Keep the poi swinging, and repeat the motion from the right side on the left. If you can do this, you have just done a 3-beat weave.
Continue indefinitely.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
Of course, you can reverse the directions if you prefer to start by leading with your right hand.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
Aaaaah Ahhhhhh!
*runs away screaming and covering her ears*
I thought I had it!
I'm just confused now!
confused

Aww, thanks for the advice, really. hug
I'm pretty sure I can do the 3-beat now. Put it this way - I am letting each poi spin on each side as often as they can before bringing them back over to the other side. Or something like that. I need someone to look at it for me and tell me if it's right. Hopefully meeting peeps soon who can lend me a hand!
biggrin

Boo x

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
i jus watched my dvd and thought what the fcuk
i cant even do chasing the sun without thwacking myself

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross Over Under Cross ....Thats 3beat

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

addict
667 posts

Posted:
yer i know then u try doing it how she says and it just dont happen

enter the love realm...
insert ur token

stepped up promotions

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
do the free lesson on HoP its the best way ive found to teach it, do it one at a time, to get used to the movement in each hand, then try putting it together

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
Hey Dr Boo.

I was in the same situation as you about a week ago and put out a similar thread. I was getting frustrated and thoguht I was just really rubbish and everyone else must find it easier than I do!

But keep at it, practice really does make perfect. And you know the frustration you feel when you can't do it (seriously, I nearly cried!!) well the feeling of happiness and satisfaction you feel when you finally do it (and you WILL!) is worth all the anger!

I think it's same with anything, I was the same when I started mixing. I'm trying to be more patient but I think everyone gets annoyed when they can't do something.

Just keep trying, give your mind time to rest and try again, this really does work. The butterfly then behind your back is the thing that really confused me. I was saying to my boyf 'but no! It's impossible!' and he was like 'well no coz the lady on the video can do so it can't be!!'.

But remember, it should be fun. So do what you can do (figure of eight) and enjoy the feeling.

Also, try to get spinning forwards and backwards perfect...

Have fun!! x x x x

Always remember... one MUST protect thy bread....

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
hug

Thanks.

Boo x

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
det basic way to learning pretty much all poi movement is with doing it with one poi first..
getting used to the movement with both hands.

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

addict
667 posts

Posted:
i have the dvd off here which is same as the online lessons

and i do as they say 1 handed still bloody impossible at the min haha

enter the love realm...
insert ur token

stepped up promotions

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
come up to cambridge, we'll teach you

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
DrBoo,

Are you practicing to music? I'm really new to spinning, and when I have trouble learning a move I try doing it over and over to music, switching to something I CAN do now and again to get my flow back. There are moves (like the 3 beat weave and Mexican Weave) that I could NOT get right, no matter how hard I tried until I tried it to good music. It helps you keep a consistent rhythm - which helps a lot.

newbie shutting up now. redface

Michelle

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
no actually thats a good point. I spin SOOOO much better with music than without. Actually, i notice that my spinning speed tends to change with the music. Slow for slow songs, fast for fast songs.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Still getting frustrated Boo? I havnt been doing poi for much longer than you, but im getting more confident with trying out moves, my tail and LED poi(s) scare the crap out of my i dont wanna hit myself so my hands stop trying to do the mooves and just end up trailing off into a crappy criss cross patern lol

Anyway poi's a right bitch at first, next time we go to the same poi meets we can have a good laugh about how censored we both are at poi, but we'll get better *wink* and when we do you'll have a slave poiboi to do pretty routines with lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
heh, you are gonna get hit. suck it up, take it like a man/woman and keep goin. i constantly nail myself in the head/face or groin (since u know those places on all human beings grow with poi magnets in them). the trick is to learn when you are gonna get thwacked and instead of stopping your hands, just move the thwackable area outa the way.

greensoxBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Awh don't worry too much, i've only been poi-ing for nearly three months now, I can't for the life of me do 5bt weave, or anything behind my back, bar btb butterfly. And I still hit myself. And I nearly always end up screaming and throwing the poi across the room.

...A good one to learn is the windmill/giant windmill.. it looks pretty :o) haha

Feel good saying of the week :

*Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission*

addict
667 posts

Posted:
Written by: Imbalance

no actually thats a good point. I spin SOOOO much better with music than without. Actually, i notice that my spinning speed tends to change with the music. Slow for slow songs, fast for fast songs.

i defo spin better to hard house or hard trance as the beat helps me keep a rythym and that is how i got into it through clubbers doing it with glowsticks and fire at weekenders

enter the love realm...
insert ur token

stepped up promotions

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

Still getting frustrated Boo?

Yup. A little. But it's been raining and I have low cielings so I've not managed to do much over the last couple of days. Still not sure if I'm doing a 2 or 3 beat weave, but it looks OK. And my butterfly has improved. Gonna try it to music next, think that advice was good.

Written by: Brit_Joe

Anyway poi's a right bitch at first, next time we go to the same poi meets we can have a good laugh about how censored we both are at poi, but we'll get better *wink* and when we do you'll have a slave poiboi to do pretty routines with lol

ubblol I look forward to it!! hug

Boo x

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Checketh thy pm's, Boo of Drness and hobbeseseses.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
helloooooooooo!!

sorry its taken me so long!will be free to meet up very soon hun,may even be down in falmouth at some point this weekend if you fancy meetin up for coffe/spin/whatever,my friends coming down to visit me but i think she's going home on the sunday so may be free that evening?

i can't promise to be able to help you with much but i'll do me best!xx

KradBRONZE Member
60 posts

Posted:
I just pulled off my 1st weave!! I am happy, as I only been playing with my poi since yesterday biggrin butterfly is a lil harder tho... must.. keep.. trying..

"Hold on tight to what you love and cherish, allways stand up for what you know to be right. Live everyday as if it were your last, and dont forget to smile!"

addict
667 posts

Posted:
i can nearly do weave i got the nack of the 3 beat
have u deffo got the 3 beat rythym going

butterfly is so easy i can do butterfly and overhead butterfly since day 1

enter the love realm...
insert ur token

stepped up promotions

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
Good Job! Was over at my buddies house last night and just taught him the reverse 3bt weave, regular TTN and working on btb butterflys and such. S'always nice to see someone get a move they couldnt do before.

And all that's jazzBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
'Tis very odd how different people learn different moves, the first move I learnt was 3bt after watching someone do it for half an hour.

And I got the 3bt reverse after hearing someone say, "do 3bt forward, turn around, and try not to hit yourself", and hey presto, there it was.

It then took me nigh on 2 months of confusion to get the 5bt weave.

Then 5 minutes to get the reverse 5bt.

Then 3 months confusion to get the butterfly weave.

It's all about whether you've got someone there to help, whether you can visualise it in your head, and a large degree of randomly swinging things 'til suddenly they fall into place.

I tend to learn best after seeing someone do the thing, it's not just how the poi move but also seeing they way they move their body, use their fingers etc. which is very useful.

I've found that learning the 3bt weave is best when you have music, BUT MAKE SURE IT'S IN 3/4 TIME (also called waltz time since, funnily enough, all waltzes are in 3/4)! If you try and learn the 3bt weave to 4/4 time (a vast majority of modern music), you'll be doing strange things with the time and it may confuse you.

I don't know, maybe that's just me, because I listen to too much music and am a rhythm section musician so spend all my time thinking about rhythm. I don't know anyone else who has had this problem.

If it interests you, I learnt the 3bt whilst listening to the 1st movement of the "moonlight sonata" which is clearly a 3 beat and just the right speed.

I don't know if that helps or not, but just a thought if you spend alot of time listening to music.

Signing off before I confuse myself or anyone else any more,

Jazz

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

And all that's jazzBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
'Tis very odd how different people learn different moves, the first move I learnt was 3bt after watching someone do it for half an hour.

And I got the 3bt reverse after hearing someone say, "do 3bt forward, turn around, and try not to hit yourself", and hey presto, there it was.

It then took me nigh on 2 months of confusion to get the 5bt weave.

Then 5 minutes to get the reverse 5bt.

Then 3 months confusion to get the butterfly weave.

It's all about whether you've got someone there to help, whether you can visualise it in your head, and a large degree of randomly swinging things 'til suddenly they fall into place.

I tend to learn best after seeing someone do the thing, it's not just how the poi move but also seeing they way they move their body, use their fingers etc. which is very useful.

I've found that learning the 3bt weave is best when you have music, BUT MAKE SURE IT'S IN 3/4 TIME (also called waltz time since, funnily enough, all waltzes are in 3/4)! If you try and learn the 3bt weave to 4/4 time (a vast majority of modern music), you'll be doing strange things with the time and it may confuse you.

I don't know, maybe that's just me, because I listen to too much music and am a rhythm section musician so spend all my time thinking about rhythm. I don't know anyone else who has had this problem.

If it interests you, I learnt the 3bt whilst listening to the 1st movement of the "moonlight sonata" which is clearly a 3 beat and just the right speed.

I don't know if that helps or not, but just a thought if you spend alot of time listening to music.

Signing off before I confuse myself or anyone else any more,

Jazz

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

Page: