Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Can't weave, can't put the poi behind me. I'm useless. I give up.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
I have just hit myself very hard with my poi. Not cos I did a move wrong - well I did, but hitting myself was a result of the strop I was having!

I have been doing this for a week or so and have so far been able to spin them forwards and backwards, do the butterfly and giant butterfly, and...well....that's it.

Pants huh? ubbcrying

I have given up trying to do the behind the head butterfly. I cannot get the poi to go behind my head. I just garrot myself.
So I moved onto the weave instead.
I can do something approximating it. A kind of figure of eight with one poi sort of chasing the other. But it is not the 3-beat one.
And I cannot get my head around it! I've stared at the video and instructions, as well as others on the net. I just cannot figure out what to do differently to the basic fig-8.

Any suggestions? Before I quit this all as a bad hobby that I just cannot do!?

*stomps off to find her poi which she threw across the room*
*looks a little embarrassed by childish tantrums*

redface

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
You're not confusing me Mr. Jazz, being musically naive, I always wondered why the three beat weave never really fit into the rhythm of whatever I was listening to. Now I've researched 3/4 time and have a less vague idea of what it means, correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression it's music that goes 1,2,3, as opposed to 1,2,3,4.

Being a weave based spinner, I usually tended to ignore the beat of the music when I had to, and tried to pick it up when I could, something I found very difficult when spinning to live drummers.

I have spun to the rhythm of the turn signals of my truck before biggrin

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2

Yeeeaahhhyyyy!

I did a behind the head butterfly! I did it I did it! I did it!

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

I love all the fluffy people at HoP!

hug

Boo x

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ahem.
*points to the 'I just learned a new move' thread*

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
yeah, I know, but this was the thread I started bitching about not being able to do it on, so it made sense to me.
biggrin

Boo x

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
boo: fair enough, just was noticing that this thread was seeming to go into the 'yay I just learnt x move' format. Especially fair enough as you started the thread. Congratulations!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
WooHoo!!!! hug bounce hug

Contrats to you!

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I just pulled off my first 3-beat weave yesterday. I'm 90% sure I'm doing it correctly, but it's a little hard to tell without an experienced spinner to confirm it. The way I learned was by watching the instructions on the Art of Poi DVD, then consulting the Poi Spinning bible, then practicing the movements with each hand on its own. When it came to putting both hands together, I got a bit stuck and confused, so I just sort of randomly swung the poi around in forwards circles until my hands seemed to fall into the right place and rhythm. I really recommend this last part. It's hard to explain, but you just need to kind of stop thinking about what each hand is doing and let it flow naturally. Because of all the practice you do with each hand on its own, the muscles seem to just know what to do. Good luck to everyone attempting to learn this move! It's really fun and simple once you get it going. smile

Page: