Page:
SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
Okay, here is the thread for giving your biggrin frown eek or ubblove for the new CoL 2005.

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
the video is great... the spinners are great...Malcolm is great for all the hard work that he put into it. I was just very disapointed that about 5 of the videos had firebreathing in them... that made me grind my teeth.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
I think I have to watch some of the technical clips a few times before I get the idea. confused
Loved seeing so many people working on performances with nice costumes. And socks being spun...

Thanks for sharing your skills.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
All the Czech Republic performers are my students, Im so happy. Its like Im there on the vid smile
EDITED_BY: Richee (1129547411)

POI THEO(R)IST

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I got my copy of COL 2005 this morning and have just watched it from start to finish.

Thanks Malcolm- I've been looking forward to this and I've not been dissapointed smile

Made some notes and here's my opinions on it.

Bear in mind that this is on the strengh of one viewing, and i'm sure my opinions will alter as I watch it more.

Also, remember that if, for some clips I seem less impressed, it's only because of the very high quality of a few of the other clips on the DVD- some really are outstanding.

On the whole, I though the most common flaw was that many entries were just too long- at a minute or two minute duration I think every entry would have been OK, but some just went on too long and got 'samey'.

A few suffered from low picture quality.

Concerning the fire-breathing on some of the clips, though I've got to say it is a purely personal dislike for me, so I'm not critisising it, but, the fact remains that I'm one of those people who feel ill when they see it (due to the knowledge I have of its 'dark' aspects concerning health), so, I will mention it.

Before anyone jumps down my throught, I'm not saying it shouldn't be on COLs, and I'm not saying no-one should do it- simply offering, as is my right, my honest feedback on how seeing it makes me (and some others, I'm sure) feel. Personally, I also feel that none of these clips have been added to by the fire-breathing.

That aside- here's my thoughts on the individual videos: -

1. Infinitos- only on COL would we have a dog persistently wandering into shot smile

This was good spinning; especially impressed by the fluid leg moves.

2. Hayfever- spinning in a field. Technical short-poi isolationy hyperloopy stuff to a high level; not my personal favourite style, but all credit to someone who can pull stuff like that off with consistency.

3. Heraclitus- excellent picture quality and good location- interesting toy near the start (some kind of 'fire loop' held at either end). Also, a mainly unedited routine with few cuts, which always shows a high skill level

4. OneWheelDave- A bit of a glitch in the vid at the start (on my copy anyway).

Lots of competent releases, catches and two-in-one-hand stuff. Hopefully a fairly nice flow as well smile

The giant juggling balls may, on reflection, not have been a good idea.

For the sound track it's hard to be objective when I recorded it myself, but I do have concerns that it may be crap smile especially the recording quality. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.

Liam Tempest kindly shot the footage for this, and his 'walkabout' approach i feel adds somne interest to it- also, by filming my fire club juggling from beneath, he will never have to prove his courage in any other way smile

The number of cuts in this clip clearly indicates that, despite a high skill level, Dave has not yet achieved the consistency he is striving for- must try harder.

5. Fire Trinity- Fire ice skating, people sculture, excellent up-beat soundtrack and a nice (but short) clip of 'pan-spinning' smile

I liked this a lot, it was funny but had a lot of well-coreographed (I know that's spelt wrong, but I can't find it in the dictionary) and skilled stuff.

If poi was TV entertainment, this would be 'Friends' smile (but more watchable)

6. Sprocket- good to see some fairly technical stuff with tailed poi (not often seen on COL) and a nice soundtrack (maybe cos I'd heard it already as the theme for the COL taster clip).

The vid quality was a bit low and made it harder to see the poi; but still very nice and kind of reminiscent of the early days of poi.

7. Spinning over Vegas- does exactly what it says on the tin smile (I'm assuming that the city he's spinning over is Vegas). Again, towards the lower end of video quality- it works well enough with a 'grainy' look, but I can't help wondering how it would look if it was as high pic quality as some of the other entries.

8. Fire Weavers- Excellent vid quality, nice outfits and great timing on the synchronised parts. Struck me as being a good length and ends with a bow smile

9. Nexus- innovative technical stuff- started off a bit tangley but then got pretty sharp. Guy didn't look particularly happy though, I think most people, if they could spin moves like that would look a bit happier about it.

10. Arsn- Top clip smile smile smile

High quality vid, great sound-track, and impeccably beautiful slow spinning style. Extra points for having no fire smile

I think one of the things that makes this one stand out is the superb footwork, which many spinners don't give any thought to. This clip borders on Tai-Chi. Its also long, but that's OK, cos it holds the attention.

I'd say its a contender for best clip (IMO); I'm very impressed, he's definitly not arsn around.

11. No Trickery Video- Well thought out stage set-up. I'm no big fan of contact staff, so I can't comment on the standard really; I liked it, but thought that it would maybe have been better as a shorter clip.

I really did like the 'shadow-stage' idea, with the sword stuff behind the staff.

12. Cast Out- surreal and imaginative with a kalaedescope type video effect (or was it real mirrors?).

The actual spinning seemed simple but solid, and entirely appropriate for the effect achieved- visually excellent.

13. Fire Dragon- Rope dart, which isn't often seen on the COLs.

Good skills, but again, I thought it went on too long, and, personally, i'd have liked more light.

On the plus side, it can be harder to impress with a relatively unusal toy like fire rope-dart, as it's difficult to compare to anything else; but I think COL definitly benefits from people putting in entries with the less common toys.

Nice dancey moves.

14. Tai Chi Fire- good to have this on the COL, it was like being at an actual performance and, presumably, these are professional performers?

It takes a lot to make a fire ball (is that what it's called) look anything but limited, but they achieve this easily with a great performance.

Music was outstanding- really good to see the drummers in action as part of the show.

The spinning was simple, but again, solid, and totally appropriate for the performance.

15. Pyromaniac- fast spinning, and staff based which I'm not really qualified to offer comments on.

A strange clip, with some interesting close-ups and angles; I thought it was well put together.

16. Chandelier Twins- Absolutely superb!! smile smile smile

Great sound-track that really fitted the performance. Nice costumes- Co-ordinated fire fan, simple moves that worked really well; combined with some acro-balance.

This is like being at a circus (a good one!).

Presumably this is a professional act- if not, it should be.

Another contender for my favourite clip smile

17. True- Competent spinning, though maybe lacking something distinctive. Nice smooth flow; personally, on the poi, I'd have liked to see more plane control and slower spinning.

18. Staff and Staff Duo- boy and girl fire staff routine. Good quality video and well-rehearsed act with some acrobalance. As constructive audience critisism, on the face-to-face staff stuff, the angle was out on the blokes staff spinning; other than that,it was a solid performance.

19. Argolla- smile smile smile

Very nicely shot with good use of effective close-ups and a surreal air.

Spinning was good- nothing special, but it worked well; with something like this it's obvious that a lot of effort has gone into coordinating the performers.

I'm not really sure why, but I liked this a lot- it has a surreal 'old-film' vibe to it, like some 1920's science fiction film.

Really good smile

20. Poi and Staff Duo- well rehearesed routine. Simple idea but well executed.

Well shot and dramatic- I liked the angled lean-back stuff.

21. Keepers of Light- it's good to see some meteors on COL smile

Personally though, as someone who does meteors, it jars a bit to see the ends gathering together and the meteors not being in a straight line. I appreciate that it may well be intentional, but I'm just offering my feelings.

The wrapping stuff was nice.

With the poi, again, just my opinion, and I know that some people don't prioritise clean planes; but, personally, I find it jars a bit visually to see broken planes to this extent.

That aside though, a good clip with some solid and skillful spinning.

22. Infinitude For Delight- smile smile smile

Despite not being the best picture quality, I liked this a lot.

Enthusiasm, a nice trancey soundtrack and good, clean spinning.

The style and moves reminded me a lot of the way PK used to spin (that's a compliment by the way).

These days it's maybe hard tp stand out on COL with just an individual spinning and no gimmicks, but, IMO, this one manages it.

If there's one style of spinning that I'd like to be proficient at, but aren't, it's this one.

The only constructive critisism I'd offer is that I think more light would have added to it.

But, overall, very impressive and I liked it a lot.

23. Cello & Fire- Nice to see (and hear) a cello on COL. Spinning was good and I liked the dramatic end smile

24. Fyrefly- Visually interesting. Spinning mainly basic, but its good to see some enthusiasm. A nice chilled clip to end on.

Currently, the clips that stand out for me are-

1. Arsn- for sheer tecnnique, flow and style (especially the footwork), this is well up to the standard of the old 'nickwithfire' vids that inspired so many.

2. Chandelier Twins- a really outstanding performance of, technically quite simple stuff, but presented suberbly well

3. Infinitude For Delight- solid spinning to a good soundtrack; strikes me as someone who has put a lot into her practice; no gimmicks, just superb spinning

4. Argolla- surreal and really nice, my compliments to whoever shot and edited this

There's no bad entries on this COL, just 'good' and 'superb', with performers from all over the world and a good representation of the diverse styles of spinning.

Cheers again to Malcolm for making it all possible.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"The number of cuts in this clip clearly indicates that, despite a high skill level, Dave has not yet achieved the consistency he is striving for- must try harder."

ubblol

Looking forward to seeing COL 2005 now so I can argue this point wink

Getting to the other side smile

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

21. Keepers of Light- it's good to see some meteors on COL smile

Personally though, as someone who does meteors, it jars a bit to see the ends gathering together and the meteors not being in a straight line. I appreciate that it may well be intentional, but I'm just offering my feelings.

The wrapping stuff was nice.

With the poi, again, just my opinion, and I know that some people don't prioritise clean planes; but, personally, I find it jars a bit visually to see broken planes to this extent.

That aside though, a good clip with some solid and skillful spinning.

hahahaha i havnt even seen the clip =( the i saw the first one that was entered and flipped out on the friend of ours that put it together for us....it was just beyond cheesey...so we sent in the second one and got malcolm to kinda ignore the first.....anyways hopefully it got put together nicely lol i cant wait to see it....

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
gotta get this DVD!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Yay Arsn!! bounce2 clap ubbrollsmile hug ubblove

Woo woo

The twins were nice to watch too. clap

Its a pretty chuffin' DVD biggrin

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Vegemite doesn't rock. wink

Me wants DVD. Badly. biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Arsn, brilliant spinning, really love your style.

Haven't watched the dvd all the way through yet but I generally agree with OWD's comments. I think the standard was generally high, and a nice varity of toys, although haven't seen much LED action yet, but I guess there is still time! Also staning out at the moment was Heraclitus as I thought an extra dimension was added on to the performance with the use of more unusual toys, and he got the timing brilliantly by using the different toys to add interest to the performance and it didn't drag on, unlike quite a few of the clips did. I will report back more fully when I have watched it properlly.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

7. Spinning over Vegas- does exactly what it says on the tin smile (I'm assuming that the city he's spinning over is Vegas). Again, towards the lower end of video quality- it works well enough with a 'grainy' look, but I can't help wondering how it would look if it was as high pic quality as some of the other entries.

Yup, that would be Vegas, I tried to get it so I wasn't blocking the vew of the strip.

I'm still shocked that I'm even on this video with some of these people, I just wish I had my coppy with me here.... Stupid changing houses, now I have to wait for the people in my house to send it all the way to Sweden.... arg.

From the sounds of it I can't wait to see it. Keep those reviews comming in, it's always nice to hear what people like, and expecially what we can do better.

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i got my video the other day, and its pretty cool, im especially in awe of the effort that clearly went into some of the clips, my particulaur favourites were

heraclitus - wow !! biggrin
onewheeldave - loved the poi spinning and the overhead view of juggling.
the chandlier twins - really good to watch i thought,
infintitude of delight - i agree with daves comments here..
and cello and fire becuase of the intersting music smile

but overall it was a great video to watch and thanks to everyone smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
Fire Trinity, your video was the most entertaining to me just because of the fun factor (spinning snowman ubblol) and trying new things including ice skating and frying pan spinning. It was well edited, good video quality and your spinning has inproved heaps since the last COL...

clap clap clap

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I was very impressed clap

I think the COL series is just getting better and better!

My favourite vids (although I REALLY liked most of them) were;

The Chandelier Twins - what a beautiful and slick rountine, You two looked awesome!

and

Arsn - your style inspires me bro, and Im really happy you can now share it with others all over the world.

But as I said earlier - many many amazing vids on there!

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I was also quite impressed with COL2005. Chandelier Twins did it for me too - nothing better than perfected simplicity and a tight routine to look good. Loved the acro-balance... smile strong chicks rock.

I also really liked Heraclitus. Nice to see so much movement and flow - reminded me a *bit* of pyrolific's style actually. smile

I need to watch the compilation a second time to truly appraise each performance, but those two were the stand-out for me.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

itsalwayssummerontheinsideSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
Heraclitus was my favourite - great spinning, cool backdrop and wicked music - i can watch this performance over and over again and always be impressed.

Col2005 was really great, feel like it has progressed a lot and keeps getting better clap

i hope one day i can be as good and get on a compilation bounce2 *goes off to practice*

LostSurferSILVER Member
I'd be in trouble if I had to eat an antelope now
278 posts

Posted:
What did everyone think of the music on COL2005? any favourites? i guess some of this might be linked to fave performances as the two tend to feed off each other i guess?!

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Toss between Heraclitus and Arsn me thinks.

The dervishly "fast and furious" Heraclitus shows very broad versatility with staff, rope, snakes and poi and his speed, accuracy and swift transitions are just incredible.

Arsns meditative play is incredibly fluid, witty and the dance style is just great as much as his play inspires.

Fire trinity is a highly entertaining group play and the skating is awesome ...

Found Chandelier Twins boring as being a average street play ... and I missed some poi play on a "best of poi around the world" reel ... (at least they had some fire).

Since Sprocket is OP, I enjoyed your play a lot too and found the roll forward funny ...

I am new to Col so I am not sure how to judge the (semi?) pro circus contrubutions, eg from Taiwan or the Canadian girls ...

Seeing such great players is inspriring and actually playing so bad comparatively myself its blasphemie to give judgments ...

Hope there'll be a Col 2006, this should definitly go on.

Why is America so far ahead on this compilation while I always assumed the best Poi is played on Asian beaches ?

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Arsn
Oli
Fire Trinity

Rockin' biggrin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep... am agreeing with the Arsn thing... beautiful style biggrin

(And nice work OWD... the juggling is wicked, and you didn't wear shorts biggrin)
EDITED_BY: Firepoise (1135687642)

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Arsn
ubblove
** and the others aimee mentionned too, OWD, good to see the spining to match the writing!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

shireenSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
thanks so much for all of your postive feedback on our flaming acrobatic act-- wait 'till next year, we've already got lots more in the works!

burning brightly and flying high,

shireen

Sezzynewbie
2 posts

Posted:
hey im resonable new to the whole poi thing

i jsut wondered what COL stands for??

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Circles of light biggrin

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
*disclaimer...mush to follow*

Im so glad that others can see arsns style now. Im so proud of the way he pois, such an inspiration to me and maybe now others to dance baby dance!

I love him and his style.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I love mush!
ubblove

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
I'll put in my two cents for advertising my personal favorite. I finally got some time to sit down and watch all of the videos and I really do like the 'No Trickery' video. I'm not one for the staffing, but the spinning is quite nice. It's the one that I'm putting down for just a good ol' fashion best video.

As for the one that made my mouth drop just because of the massive amounts of skill that this person has: OneWheelDave, you win that prize. Just when I thought you couldn't pull anything new out of your little hat of tricks, you keep going.

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I really liked Fire Trinity, but what the hell was the girl at the end doing?

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
having fun ubblove smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
favorites:
Hayfever (Oli)
Heraclitus
Arsn

next favorites:
OneWheelDave (mainly for the mills mess from above- that was totally class biggrin )
No trickery video
Fire Trinity ( ubblol at the fire spinning snowmen!)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Page: