Forums > Social Chat > A Strange Hobby: University Searching

Login/Join to Participate

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Okay, after just spending *another* hour looking at Universities I could go to, I think I have a problem. I love looking at possible Universities for me to go to. Problem being this: I'm still only 17, and I still have 2 years of high school ahead of me. Now, people will always tell us kids with things like post secondary education, that it is never too early to start thinking about it. I've been thinking about it for 2 years now.

Then, when I go to tell my parents about it (or other adults), they then turn around and say that I'm trying to grow up to fast, and that I should enjoy my childhood. Hel-lo, if I didn't want to enjoy what's left of my childhood (and free (aka tax paid) education) I would be leaving school in 1.5 years, not 2. So ha.

However, on the topic that takes up much of my time on the net lately, is of course, prospective Universities! I've been looking up Unis providing undergrads in Medical Biophysics and Nuclear Medicine. Interestingly enough, the best Uni for Nuclear med. is actually in Halifax, so I wouldn't have to move out of town. But I'm still interested in going to Uni of Ottawa (do German at the same time!), or Uni Western Ontario.

Something I'd love to do would be to do my undergrad in Canada, and then a masters or phd (ha!) in Europe or something... I know U of Amsterdam and Utrecht offer masters programs in English, which would take off the stress of learning in a foreign language (which I have done before, and know how stressful it can be...)

I'm not planning my life, just looking at options....... rolleyes

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
There's no harm in keeping your options open. I've only just started my second year of my Masters, and I'm already looking out for interesting research groups and Universities where I can study my PhD.

Willy - is bad for your health...

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
Its always better to look ahead. I did when i was in your position looking for uni's to go to.I started looking for universities to go to as soon as i started my AS levels.Now iv only started my second year chemistry of a 4 year course and im looking for places to do a PhD if thats what i eventually decide to do and the possible places and lines of work i would go in to should i not want ot do a PhD.Its always better to keep ahead of the game.

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
If your wantin g to go abroad for uni then this needs more planning so yes starting looking for universities when your 17 is no bad thing at all. Good luck in your searching, and i hope you get the grades you require. x

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Lots of places in Scandinavia would do a PhD in English, too, I think. If you're considering medicine and want a really good place for research try the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm! (But then planning a PhD now seems REALLY far ahead, so I'll shut up, cause I have no ideas of Canadian Unis, been only to secondary school there for a few months...)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
When you're at uni, will you spend all your time thinking about where you're going to work once u have your degree?

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I've only recently started college (a 2 year course), and am already being bombarded with prospectuses of suitable Uni's.
By this time next year I'm expected to have chosen my course, prolly a degree in Ceramics, and the Uni and to start applying. Scary, but its good planning

smile hug