Page:
yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
seeing as there are lots of people in the new moves thread and others talking bout fishtailing things (me being one of them) i thought i'd make a thread for it.

so waht can u fishtail? eh?

myself i can fishtail:-
juggling clubs,
devil sticks,
hand sticks,
umbrellas (closed),
pencil cases,
squash rackets
and of course staffs.

how bout you?

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Absolutely nothing despite three.something years of trying. At least I know what they look like these days... I have brilliant memories of trying to get N?x to describe them to me.....

Did I mention I can't learn from anything other than a live person?

and yoni, arn't pencil cases very small??! and sort of flatish and square?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
well this one was slightly longer than most i think it was a bit under 1 foot and was packed ful of stuff so slightly less flat but other than that yeah.

are u tryin to do forward or reverse fishtails?

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Squash Raquets
Snooker Queues
Umbrellas
rakes

Hohum

I've yet to try otherthings

Kyrian, I wouldn't worry about it. Fishtails are lame. As simian and MCP both say, "why fishtail when you do one beats which are twice as wasy and look the same." wink

I reckons fishtails are lame. Feel nice doing it though.

I can't learn without a person showing me either. Pretty lame...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Devilsticks,

fishtales are cool cause they are 1/2B and contact.
What about BTB fishtales, Horizontal fishtales, Double fishtales smile

POI THEO(R)IST

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
horizontal fishtails are impossible. but you can do curls.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Either. And no, picking one and sticking with it doesn't help.

Thats a bit longer than I was thinking, I guess thats ok then yoni tongue

And FRD, if it was the only thing I sucked at I wouldn't care biggrin

Its just contact in general seems to be a bit of a dog to me... shame, I think it looks somewhere between good and hot when done right tongue

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
i could be annoying and say "do a search there are millions of threads like this in the scetion (mostly started by my self)" but i wont :-)

ok things i fishtail.
rulers.
trying contact ball, as it ends up kinda strange isolation thingy.
rollingpins, random sticks
tent poles.
anyhitn lieing around at my girlfriends house as i relrly have sticks there.
propper sticks,
double sticks
im sure theres other stuff, but i cant remember it now
oh stick on stick look really nice.
devil stick is also fun.

nicest thing i have found, doubles turning, by half a turn it just feels good

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Anything I can get my hands on.

Including a wooden spoon.
a torch
a bottle
any bit of wood that's a good size
clubs
DS/handsticks
cardboard tubes (these also make great devilsticks)
metre rulers

So yeah, pretty much anything I can get my hands on...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I can do fishtails with:

Phat people,
Tanks,
Yellow Submarines.
Willing Elephants
Soldier Ants.
CD's.
Masonry Screws.
Custard.
Door Frames.
The internet.

and

The colour green. (And I'm learning turqoise, but I have to dual fishes with blue on one side and green on the other.)

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ubblol :rolleyes: ...meg..............

what shade of green, and how are you stopping the change in wavelength (all be it very slight) of the light reflected, so it all stays the same green :P wink

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Well obviously it easier to do if you let the wavelength change slightly, as it stays on your hand better. To get it to stay on one point in the spectrum to have to isolate it relative to the sun. Or the nearest light source.

PS: You can use the same trick with custard. As long as it's fresh.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
nah, I can't picture it, meg...

I'll have to see a video... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Why I horizontal fishtales impossible?

POI THEO(R)IST

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
they arnt meg is just pants, tim can do em nicely i have it on tape somewhere .....

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
has anyone managed to fishtail a cat?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Or a fish?
Why have I never seen anyone fishtailing a fish?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
a cat would be easy a fish on the other hand ..... i guess it would depend on the size of the fish

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I've explained this before but I'll do it again.

A vertical fistail has each end of the staff staying on it's own side while your hand stays under it's centre of gravity and propels it.

So in a horizontal fishtail, the up end has to stay above the plane of your arm, and the bottom end below it, while you keep your hand under the center of gravity of it. I assume you are going to keep your hand here or close to it, cos otherwise, it's going to fall.

Happily though, the staff is now mostly vertical, instead of mostly horizontal, so it's pretty hard to get your hand under the centre of gravity, that and the staff keep turning and trying to cut through your arm, because you've twisted the plane of the move, but gravity hasnt twisted with you.

So maybe you could do it for one beat, but it's not going to be easy, like a fishtail should be, and then your going to have to turn.

And if you do it with too many extra beats, it's going to be a curl, like devilstickers do.

And I'm just taliing [censored] now, I went and tried one and it was quite easy. I think it might be that I didn't take into account the idea of insides.... Well it's still not much like a fishtail anyway.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
would the cat be alive or dead though?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I've fishtailed an eel.... but was wondering where the head ended and the tail began...would that be fish heading confused

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i feel your pain, ky! it took me a while to get fishtails.
the trick for me was to learn to transition from a clean fig-8 to a fishtail.
once you get the movement rolling as a clean fig-8, the movement for the fishtail is more intuitive.
I hesitate to put a lesson up seeing as people like Benjamen and MCP already offer wikkid lessons smile yay!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yes, but I've gone thru MCP and Ben's lessons and come out with a very good idea of what the move looks like and none at all how to do it.....

I think tho that I"m just too retarded to learn from video. But its still an improvement over text. Perhaps I should move to australia tongue (or scotland, I suppose tongue)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Do you want me to explain more clearly?

Place staff on back of hand, not spinning. Balance it there. (from this point on, stop using the other hand.) Bring your hand up, like your praying with that hand. Knock the staff back and forth with the back of your hand. Horizontally. Get used to this for a while, till you can do it without it falling off. When you're knocking the staff, these are the small 'locks' you get between the hand and the forearm when doing a reverse fishtail.

Now, try and get some vertical movement in there, by adding an exaggerated hand and arm motion. Like your brushing off a fine horse, (or donkey) for example.

At this point the "bounce" becomes important, because even though the staff doesn't leave your hand, on the vertical plane, your staff should be making a bell curve, (while just travelling side to side on the horizontal.) Wax on, wax off.

I have another method to teach it, but have to go look at invoices.

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
I fishtailed a rolled up poster at work yesterday as well as a large pile of graphic novels which weighed upwards of (insert dramatic pause) 4 TONS mauahahahah

Viva UGLY STAFF

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i just fishtailed meg biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I fishtailed a fishtail. tongue

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Kyrian, for me fishtales just grew out of wraping the staff around my wrist. I found doing them to the side a lot easier the doing them in-front.

Hope that helps smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Aw, everyone is trying to be helpful at once!! I feel so special.. especially because I suck so.... and people are being helpful anyway!

Im going to give meg's suggestions a go in a few, I have to get all redressed (Its 1C here) to go out to the store soon which is an excellant excuse for going outside and playing with my staff som'more smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

i just fishtailed meg biggrin

where did u balence her? confused eek ubblol

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
on her washboard stomach.

ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Page: