Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Everybody keeps telling me not to panic but I'm bored not panicing.

We're all gonna die!!!

The UK government ordered 14 million doeses of an antiviral drug against avian flu... and strains are already resistant and passing between people.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4343136.stm

The time for pushing and shoving is NOW! AHHHH!

I think I feel a scratch in the back of my throat.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Are we dead yet? Only I'm being made to karaoke tonight and a painful death is starting to look tempting...

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

And anyway, ebola is more old skool than stupid bird flu.

I'd like to keep my colon on the inside, myself. Still...karaoke. frown
EDITED_BY: jeff(fake) (1129636859)

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
well, just tell them you caught bird flu - are they gullible?

after that no one will want to come near you, you don't actually have to be ill. it's called pulling a sickie.... wink

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Drop a nail clipping in someone's drink at the start of the evening and say (unnecessarily loudly) "Damn this Leprosy!" and you'll be fine wink

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

or pretend you can't control the volume of your voice. shouting in to the mic always pisses people off. smile (you could tell them you've just been awoken from being cryogenically frozen. if they've seen austin powers they shold believe you!)

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

1,189 posts

Posted:
Mabey some excuse that hasn't been popularised in highly popular T.V. shows and movies would have been more helpful. umm

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Back on topic here, I'm kind of worried about this one. Australia had a scare in Melbourne a few days ago. They found three pigeons who had the antibodies of the virus, but as far as I know they tested negative to actually having the virus.

I live a couple of hours away from Melbourne, but it's still scary! Apparently we're 'ready' in case Bird Flu ever breaks out here. I sure hope this is true!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
I'm more scared of an ebola epidemic than the bird flu.
TB vacinations are given here in Australian schools, though the Aboriginal population does not all recive vacination and there are cases of TB in the Northern Territory often.
as for smallpox, there is already a vacine for that, plus an easy way to prevent that is to get cowpox (relatively harmfull) as that is how they got the vacine for small pox.
With the 1918spanish flu killing 1% of the world population, really i dont find that to be that high of a number for an epidemic and with better health standards today i doubt it will get that high.

Do we sleep when we die?

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
Isn't bird flu not actually much more of a danger than Flu.... unless someone gets it who already has flu and it mutates

I personally think this is all a big scare and not such a big deal as they make out... has anyone actually seen evidence of a human with it? and if you have did they actually die or just get ill... I've never even heard of someone who's actualy died from it but I might just not be listening!

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
there have been cases in Indonesia that i have heard of the person dying from the diseas and there is meant to be other deaths in Asian countries.

Do we sleep when we die?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thought this was appropriate to this discussion:

Bird flu found in Britain: news story from today (22/10/05)

frown

Getting to the other side smile

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Im not scared of bird flu either, I may live on a farm surrounded by chickensa nd geese but these birds dotn fly we had there wings clipped along time ago, whos gonna give it to them? They live exclusivly on the farm.

Of all the billions of people in the world, whats the likely hood anyone in the uk is gonna catch it? And even if they do its not gonna sweep the whole country. Just avoid birds and sick people.

I reackon these people who died in asia or something were probably old people who have weak imune systems anyway.

OH and last thing, governments have been stock piling drugs and preparing to make a vacine, whats been happening is they have been doing whatever they can do ahead of time, and once they get hold of the strain that does come up, they will immidiatly finish of the work they have allready been doing, so they can get a vacine out as fast as possible, and we can get vacinated.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
ummm joe, just because the birds you have don't fly is irrelavent!! what about all the birds that fly on to the farm from other places?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Why are migrating birds going to come visit my farm? Or your back yard?

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
umm

Getting to the other side smile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Just heard on the radio that a parrot has been found in Britain to have the same strain of bird flu that has killed all the people, eek! sooner than everyone thought!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
This is what you heard about pricklyleaf

The parrot, imported from Suriname, South America, was part of a mixed consignment of 148 birds that arrived on September 16, the ministry said. They were held with another consignment of 216 birds from Taiwan.

All the birds were culled while in quarantine.

Debbie Reynolds, Britain's chief veterinary official, told reporters during a teleconference that the parrot likely caught the virus while in the quarantine centre where it was kept with the Taiwanese birds.

Her staff reviewed the global threat and determined "there is a high risk of further global dispersion of this virus".

As a result, Britain and others must increase their vigilance.

"There is a risk to the United Kingdom and this risk has increased," she said.

She said however that the finding did not affect Britain's "avian influenza disease-free status".

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

umm hmmm ok
I think the question you need to be asking is 'why wouldn't they?'

Granted, at this time of year the majority of migratory birds in the country are leaving to go to warmer places but there is nothing to say that they won't brind bird flu back with them when they return, and once it is here, it can spread through other wild birds already here. There are many common migratory birds in this country and i assure you that they are just as likely to visit your farm or my back yard as they are anywhere else. I'm not trying to scare people but there is no point pretending that its all going to be ok when its not!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Um... that's exactly what the words "migrating birds" means. It means they come and visit your farm and my backyard.

confused

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ah come on, there are far too many human beings on this planet already. A bit of mutant bird flu might be a good thing. Kill off the weak. A bit of natural selection. How many humans is 1% now days? It's not like we are short on Humans. Now if it was going to mutate into something that killed of Pandas or Black Rhino, then we would need to worry. They don't have all that many left. 1% of them would probably have a bad effect on their chances of survival, but humans..... we have shed loads of them.

Now before you all scream at me, remember I have M.E. and a really rubbish immune system so I'd probably one of the ones to die. Natural selection in action.

Human beings seem to have this feeling that they should be above nature or at least able to manipulate it and control it. Sometimes Nature just comes along and slaps us back down into our place.

runs away before being linched

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna disagree.

I don't think the probability of Skully dieing 'might be a good thing'.

[Ha! An arguement Fluffy can't POSSIBLY disagree with me on!]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
LOL! Im sorry but migrating birds might pass through our little country, but they dont visit little towns like preston or blackburn. your all talking about bird flu as if its being spread over a 15x15 mile radius exclusivly! This is plannet earth, how small are we in comparison, whats the likely hood honestly?

Why freak out about this sort of thing, its life have you any idea of the dangers about us allready? Ptfff Ive never been hit by a car and there are millions on the raod at any given day, earth hasnt been hit by a metior thats done us any actuall harm, and there are impossible ammounts of debri and space censored flying around in space all the time. I never cought sars, Ive never actually had any type of flu, wich I might add are infinatly more common and flying around all over the place. foot and mouth didnt even come anywhere near my neck of the woods and you wouldnt beleive the ammount of farm land around here. Ive never gone into hospital and ended up cathcing that MRSA superbug or whatever its called. I didnt stop eating burgers after the BSE scare and Im fine, ive never spontaniously combusted, and the melenium bug turned out to be the biggest load of nonsence over nothing...bit like the millenium :P...im not (and your not) gonna catch bird flu, or the possible human form.

Oh and I forgot to say something, 1% of the population wont die, a couple of hundred people might die, thats about it, we have medicine and hospitals and disinfectant and better standards of living than they had allmost 100 years ago. Were not all cramed together living in each others filth in the center of london throwing toilet water into the river themes, and not washing or having a bath more than 3 times a month.

Now go and put the kettle on, and think about something that matters like, how do I pay of the mortgage, or when should I start putting money into a pension.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I must say I agree with Skully to an extent...

Just heard word that Australia is considering banning all live imports.

Idiots.

If they ban all live imports then there will be black market trade. This will increase the threat as smuggled birds would escape all the tests that occur to ensure the birds are healthy...

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Oh and I forgot to say something, 1% of the population wont die, a couple of hundred people might die,

Wow, I'm surprised at how you've outsmarted all the epidimiologists in the planet. What computer model are you using to come up with those numbers?

IF it does jump, it's going to be a big number. Epidemics usually don't just kill a couple of hundred and stop. It's either contained under a hundred or goes big.

And Joe, have you ever gotten HIV? Because by your logic, you never could then. And neither would a huge portion of Africa. This 'russian roulette' logic of "I haven't been killed yet so therefore it's impossible for me to die in the future"... well, it kills people. And I HAVE know people who've died from HIV for similar thinking.

I'm not saying that bird flu is going to kill or not, nor am I comparing it to HIV as many below this post will misinterpret. But the logic against any epidemic is never "It hasn't killed me before therefore I won't ever die from it"...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
My friend was diagnosed with bird flu...

It's not so bad - he's just a bit peckish wink

But seriously,
Brit_Joe your arguments are surreally silly. I'm not one for hype and I think that is your underlying point (to stop panicing about hypothetical disasters) but you seem to be presenting the crazy idea that if 'it' hasn't happened to you yet then 'it' won't ever happen to anyone.

In the same line of thinking:
why should I make mortage repayments? No one's ever repossesed my house before!
why should I start a pension? I've never been old umm

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:

LOL! Im sorry but migrating birds might pass through our little country, but they dont visit little towns like preston or blackburn. your all talking about bird flu as if its being spread over a 15x15 mile radius exclusivly! This is plannet earth, how small are we in comparison, whats the likely hood honestly?

I'm begining to think that you don't understand what a migratory bird is! sparrows, starlings, house martins are just a few examples of migratory birds that are extremely common. You talk of them as if they are birds that just pass through, they live here for half the year...wouldn't really call that passing through! I somehow doubt they avoid your little part of the world the way that you think they do.Saying that they are not going to visit small towns is absolutely rediculous. Go and do some research! you clearly have no idea what you are talking about!

foot and mouth didnt even come anywhere near my neck of the woods and you wouldnt beleive the ammount of farm land around here.

but sheep and cows can't fly and go where ever they please! Foot and mouth was more controllable, movements of animals were stopped and measures were taken not to spread the disease. It would be impossible to control birds in the same way as animals.

I completely agree that people shouldn't panic (I certainly won't be rushing outside to kill my chickens) but everyone needs to be realistic, this is a real threat, denying it isn't going to help!
EDITED_BY: .:star:. (1130240954)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh allright I didnt know sparrows and stuf migrate i thought it was just the more interesting birds.

Written by:

And Joe, have you ever gotten HIV? Because by your logic, you never could then. And neither would a huge portion of Africa. This 'russian roulette' logic of "I haven't been killed yet so therefore it's impossible for me to die in the future"... well, it kills people. And I HAVE know people who've died from HIV for similar thinking.

I'm not saying that bird flu is going to kill or not, nor am I comparing it to HIV as many below this post will misinterpret. But the logic against any epidemic is never "It hasn't killed me before therefore I won't ever die from it"...

I never said anything like that, I dont put myself in the position to be at much risk of catching HIV, couse I dont have unprotected sex, and I dont have sex often, and I dont jump into bed on a first date. I dont reackon oh I wont get it just because I havnt by now, and I dont reackon that nothing bad will happen to me, I just think I wont catch bird flu thats all.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The fine people at NPR put together a nice Q and A on avian flu.

NPR is as close to BBC as we get here in the US.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4967188

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
I think this whole thign is about getting our attention, the papers need something to sell.
I'm bored with it.
I'll worry about it if/when it comes.
Besides, my immune system isnt too bad nowadays. I'll live.
Stupid pigeons almost killed my dad once.

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wow. Even Bush is taking Bird Flu seriously.

I wish I could believe him but I wonder if it's just to distract everyone from his idiocy.

If this thing goes pandemic, I get points for posting first.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: