Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Everybody keeps telling me not to panic but I'm bored not panicing.

We're all gonna die!!!

The UK government ordered 14 million doeses of an antiviral drug against avian flu... and strains are already resistant and passing between people.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4343136.stm

The time for pushing and shoving is NOW! AHHHH!

I think I feel a scratch in the back of my throat.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: linden rathen

firstly every member of the population has a small immunity to the 1918 flu strain which means it is less dangerous to us now, also its in contained bio labs

Having done a bit of molecular virology myself I find this hard to believe. Viral culture is not something that was exactly done in 1918. They didn't even have refrigeration at the time.

Written by:

oh and the black death they not sure what it is, bubonic plague was one of the black deaths but the legendry uber killer hasnt actually been identified - there are too many differences between its symptoms and those of bubonic plague. it just dissappeared

From the historical descriptions, it does seem to be bubonic plague caused by Yersinia pestis. Occasional plague does pop up from time to time, usually in the Southwest. Occasionally in New York City. Our hospital has had a few cases over the last decade. It's easily treatable with antibiotics, of course.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey hey hey... Nobody like facts.

I heard the Black Plague was started by the FBI to use on the Russians during the cold war. Follow the money.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

Newgabe: In the UK it's mandatory that you get vaccinated against TB before year 8. Therefore TB is not a threat to us.

Sorry, Sethis, but it's not that simple! BCG vaccine is only effective for about 2/3 people at most, and then only for about 15 years: in fact the UK is one of the few countries in Europe where is is actively growing, and not just in 'minority' groups either. White men are the most commonly infected, (according to Queen Mary, University of London)

Of course, not everyone infected gets sick with it... but still

https://www.ukcoalition.org/tb/london.html
:

Tuberculosis is making a dramatic comeback in parts of the UK where levels of the disease are now higher than those in China and parts of India and Africa...The UK cannot escape the TB epidemic that is ravaging some of the poorest countries in the world ... "London is a snapshot of the global epidemic. What we are witnessing here and in other European capitals reminds us of the 'globalisation' of disease - so long as there is TB in the world, no one can feel completely safe ," said Chris Dye of the World Health Organisation

Of course these are not huge numbers...in UK... but in world ('us') terms, TB is the major, current nasty infectious disease...airborne infectious, and killing 2 million people a year, contributing enormously to the cycles of poverty...and becoming drug resistant...

anyway I'm being a bit offtopic bordering on soapbox.

My point is that we have plenty to worry about with the realities of world illness..that some $$$ and lotsa publicity/ world awareness probably COULD help do something about... but our media/self interest flap about like infected chooks about something that doesn't even exist yet!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

I heard the Black Plague was started by the FBI to use on the Russians during the cold war. Follow the money.

ubblol
nah, it was started by Halliburton

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Nyc - shush and stop with the panicing tongue hug

Linden - I got a bit confused by what you meant by level one and two. The research on Spanish influenza (the 1918 one) was begun in cat 4 labs and moved to cat 3 - the difference being basically whether the researchers wear a full body suit or a half body suit. Still pretty hardcore safety measures but you are right that their fellow researchers think it should still be done in a cat 4 lab.
Relevant Science article about it
What makes you say that every member of the population has a small amount of immunity to Spanish flu? It doesn't sound very likely to me but it would be interesting if it were true smile

Kyri - the TB vaccine isn't used in the US as far, as I know, because it isn't terribly reliable and it means that you can't use the handy Heaf test to tell if people have TB.

Meg - the tube lines in London are particularly wiggly in places because they had to dig the tunnels to go round the plague pits.

Brit Joe - I'm really confused as to how it is too far for migratory birds to get from Eastern Europe to Western Europe. I thought long distance travel was sort of their 'thing' confused

And for a bit of science rather than hype, all about H5N1
So if you're feeling like being a hypochondriac NYC, there's a full list of symptoms and stuff for you to convince your doctor with wink Just don't forget to say that you regularly hug birds.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: Molly

Meg - the tube lines in London are particularly wiggly in places because they had to dig the tunnels to go round the plague pits.

Kick ass! Does this mean if they go through them, the workers will get the plague? Or that they just didn't want to disturb the dead?

Well thank the WHO they got rid of smallpox. Maybe.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I just saw this about the BCG vaccination BBC News

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
Doc: i mean that because the population is descendant from the population that survived (or didnt get it)

there is a small amount of resistance already in people

molly i think i was just listing the bio levels in a differnt order :P - and i expect that the level is ok - its just a little odd that one of the most dangerous flu strains was down graded

back

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: linden rathen

Doc: i mean that because the population is descendant from the population that survived (or didnt get it)

there is a small amount of resistance already in people

Kinda like if your mom got chicken pox, you can't get it.

Oh no wait, that's not true at all. confused

Yeah, antibodies aren't passed down from generation to generation. They should be though. Somebody should write a letter.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hey, my mom got chicken pox. And it doesn't seem like I can get it. biggrin

Oh, wait, I'm a freak of nature....

Damn. And that looked like such a good strategy too.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Meh. There's too many of us on the planet anyways... tis for the best.

smile

Getting to the other side smile

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I'm curious if people joked about like this when AIDs was a minor problem... what are they thinking now?

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i think a small amount of viral immunity is passed on during pregnancy - though i may be utterly wrong

back

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

I'm curious if people joked about like this when AIDs was a minor problem... what are they thinking now?

And the band played on...

[sarcasm]AIDS was never a problem. It only severely affects Africans and the Gay Population. If Bird Flu only killed Gays and Black would governments be stockpiling vaccines?[/sarcasm]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Hey NYC, your letter worked!

Antibodies are passed from mother to child through breast milk (though they don't hang about for the rest of the child's life)!

What a mighty pen you've got wink

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Hey, NYC do you host cynicism parties? Can I come? biggrin

(No, seriously...)

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I don't think anbody can be sarcastic like a new yorker.....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i dunno try us brits - we invented the concept

catch me on a bad day and then youll see sarcasm wink

back

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i havent been able to read the whole thread (internet cafe), but here's my penny's worth:

When bird flu was first in asia, the media played the paranoia line in australia, and of course, nothing happened.

When i was in the UK a month ago, the media was starting on the scare tactics and it annoyed me because we had lived through it with no worries.

But now I am in a country with 2 quarantine zones, ban on the sale of poultry products and a few deaths.

The people who replaced me (and who therefore still under the security of the organisation) may get send home in the next few weeks if the world health organisation declares the situation here "bad" or whatever it needs to be.

and me? I am hoping the media in australia isn't being too crazy about it because I don't want my parents to freak out.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Written by: spherculist

Yes, i'm pretty worried about this one, especially since scientists have been talking about it for ages but the media and governments are only just telling everyone else, think it's pretty serious.

frown

I just heard Patricia Hewitt(health secretary) on the radion saying the govenment has been stockpiling vaccinations for a year already eek

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
bird flu breaks out = loads of reporters rush to area = go back to their own countries... ra... how to spread the thing in the least amount of time!

was chatting to someone today who studied bird flu in asia... not only people we should worry about... apart from censored loads of birds other than poultry this thing can effect a load of other taxa... will have to check on facts but other primates and large mammals etc... frown

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Having done a bit of molecular virology myself I find this hard to believe. Viral culture is not something that was exactly done in 1918. They didn't even have refrigeration at the time.

They found a frozen Inuit woman with enough of a strain of the virus intact to analyze it. Thus, it is, indeed, alive in labs.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tao Star

I just heard Patricia Hewitt(health secretary) on the radion saying the govenment has been stockpiling vaccinations for a year already eek

You need the actual virus to have an actual vaccine. Not sure what they've been stockpiling, but it's not a vaccine for a virus that doesn't exist yet. Read into that however you would like...

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well how many combinations of A, T, G, and C can there be?

Wait, it's A, U, G, and C for RNA right?

smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
umm

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Written by: Suibom

Written by: Tao Star

You need the actual virus to have an actual vaccine. Not sure what they've been stockpiling, but it's not a vaccine for a virus that doesn't exist yet. Read into that however you would like...

oh, ok, bad science, it's some drug - not a vaccine. can't remember, but anyway, they've been nuilding up supplies for waaaay before the media got hold of this...but strangely didn't say anything until now. odd huh?

then on the other hand, maybe they're just trying to stop people worrying - do we have a right to know as soon as they do? i think i'd have rather known, but then some people are stupid & go crazy & worry too much.

strong-bad pop up book,

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
They are stockpiling antiviral drugs eg tamiflu and relenza. They are hyping 'vaccinating every Australian' in the 'news' on the radio. Which of course is totally absurd because neither the disease nor the vaccine exist yet. And even if they did, by the time they made enough vaccine and got it out the disease would have prolly mutated anyway. Meanwhile there is lots more $$$$ going to the Northen drug companies and shareholders while Southern people die every day from bad water. Yawn. The rich get richer and the poor die of easily preventable problems.

Meanwhile the best way to prevent bird flu at the moment is not drink duck's blood.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ha ha, apperntly some people in england have stopped eating poultry.

i may be rubbish at science...but even i know that is stupid.

strong-bad pop up book,

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I totally skipped reading this post but then I watched richard and judy on channel four last night and I realised what its about.
The news these days is so depressing that I never watch it.

Is it gonna be like the mad cow and foot and mouth thing with mass culling, and stupid jokes at the school canteen... "If you eat that *points at a meat filled burger" you're gonna DIE!!!"????

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Suibom

Written by: Doc Lightning

They found a frozen Inuit woman with enough of a strain of the virus intact to analyze it. Thus, it is, indeed, alive in labs.

Apparently it is. They have a genome for it, anyway.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: