Forums > Social Chat > New to the scene......

Login/Join to Participate

BongoCIHmember
16 posts

Posted:
Heya all, My name is BongoCIH and I'm from Newcastle Australia. I'm pretty new to the scene as I only got my poi around 2-3 weeks ago. I'm pretty excited about getting into this field and getting good, so any tips would be heaps appreciated. I also like extremely difficult tricks and other stuff which looks heaps cool.My current tricks bag contains:*opens bag and pulls out list* (Apart from forward,backwards and split spin smile )Weave, Low turn, High Turn, Chase the Sun(about 70% of the time smile ), Low Wave, 1/2 Corkscrew and a couple I'm the the process of fooling about with. I kinda decided to lay off on the butterfly until the bruises heal smile (all of the guys in the audience should be able to see where I'm coming from wink ).Can anyone tell me how to get from forward spin into a tuck turn, try as I might I can't seem to get it.Anyhow, I'm off to hurt myself further, oops I mean practice. smileYours, BongoCIHps. My Poi are chain and tennis balls.pps. I'm looking for other poi ppls in the Newcastle Area, so can you give be a mail if you know anyone? smile

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
hows it going Bongo?? This site is pretty awesome, for the sole reason of the talent that resides here. There are some spinners on this board that can throw down.i know exactly where you are at...you are at that point to where the basic moves are not curing your appetite anymore, and you feel you need to learn a new move every day..at least thats how i felt. Hindsite is 20/20 right? Ill drop some advice. i Practice about 5 nights aweek for about 1 hour each session. When i fisrt started to get serious, i would just spin with no ryme or reason, and i would do everymove i could possibly think of. Now i dedicate each practice session to one or two moves, and how to combo them in and out of each other. Then my last practice of the week is a freestyle. I started this because my basics i found were weak. They were weak because once i learned a new move, even thought it was still sloppy, i would move on to another, resulting in me not being able to flow into multiple moves easily. So now i have went back and pretty much started over, practicing each move individually. It cleans your paths up.I have only been spinning for a few months. And i am just now getting to the ppoint to where i can "feel" the moves, and how they morph into another. It gets exciting. Great to meet you. Sorry i get long winded at times, but i like to relate my experiences, hoping it will help others. Its the assistant martial art instructor gene in my DNA i guess.Keep up the good work.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Happy your here Bongo, With the tuck turn you need to turn the opposite direction you through your pois. I had the hardest time with it B/C I wanted to turn with the pois, not aginst them. So, through them undrer your arm right, and turn Left. Remember when you turn 180, you change directions (forwards to backwards.)Happy Spinning tongueSkiChristianPS I love how you say "Heaps" alot! smile

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
hey buddy it's the german!welcome!as you can see i just recently registered.have fun!!!

frank bentzin

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Hi bongo, welcome to the wonderfull website that is H.O.P. Everyone here is very friendly and willing to share, just like all the ppl you'll meet thru poi. Take care,Onelove,Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Hi Bongo,A Novocastrian eh! smileI just responded to your other thread too smile