Forums > Social Chat > On a mission to find decent spinny-wear!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I decided I want to have more options in my fire-fun wardrobe as I only have the following:
a pair of blue pepe jeans
an adidas jacket
a long sleeved top (black)
A harley davidson bandana.

all 100% cotton as specified.

The bandana is the coolest thing I have as part of my "outfit", and I've been looking into getting a hoodie for wire wool fun.

However, what is available to me is pretty lame. I need to expand my spinny wardrobe somehow but I also dont wanna look like a dork. (or look boring)
There should be somewhere other than ebay that I can get hold of fibrously natural spinny clothes without having to go into town and having to make sure items are 100% natural?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I think it would be great if HoP started a clothes line, Then everything will be sorted!
Like rica and peas!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
some people will kill me for saying this, but i genereally spin wearing whaever i have on - even fully synthetic things. i've hit myself many many times and only set myself on fire once, and that was wearing a 100% cotton top that hapened to have a frayed seam.

as long as it's more than 1/2 cotton it should be pretty safe, and that should expand your choice a bit. smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
The girl who instructs my poi class wont let anyone spin in synth's so thats no good.
It's either 100% natural fibres or you go spin 100% naked...

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I mostl;y spin in whatI'm wearing at the time.

Unortunatly, I tend to reck tees whilst doing so, so I've no got a designated fire spinning shirt. A red "No Fear" tee.

shrug

Jeans are good.
They don't burn smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
and whats wrong with spinning naked? biggrin

most things are fine as long as they are cotton tho if you want it too look cool you can make costumes

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
what all leather like?
oooh its gimpgirl! ubblol

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
all leather should be fine, actually. I'm sure it's been done before. I wouldn't try pvc though..

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
and a mask too? lol

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
hmmm...kinda annoying that you're reduced to wearing all-things-cotton because i just looked at all my stuff that i wear to spin fire and none of it's 100% apart from my jeans...even my beanie's 50% wool and other half acrylic.

i'm more into alternative/provocative/controversial clothing now and i recently brought a pair of trousers which had a kinda skirt-y thing over the top of them. there's a pic of them here

just unzip it a little and when you turn, it looks more elegant cos the flaps of material fly up tongue

It's better to burn out than to fade away

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Right now, after nearly 2 years fire spinning, my entire wardrobe is almost entirly cotton.
Its the first thing I look at when I go to buy new clothes. Is it cotton? nope. Lets go buy something else that is ubblol

Tshirts are fun. Open necked collared ones are my personal favourite. I have tons.
And jeans. Always with the jeans. Or cotton cargo's.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
black cotton cargo's n a black hoodie..........my shell suit wasn't up to it any more;)

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Written by: *Aimée*

Right now, after nearly 2 years fire spinning, my entire wardrobe is almost entirly cotton.
Its the first thing I look at when I go to buy new clothes. Is it cotton? nope. Lets go buy something else that is ubblol

exactly like me..: )

my fave spinning t-shirt was custom made and has a poi spinning garfield on the front and a staff spinning garfield on the back saying "Welcome to my planet!" coolest shirt ever..; )

I actually decided to have custom prints on all my shirts now.. is more orignal and the shirts are very good quality for a fair price AND most important full cotton..

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

PCPaulGOLD Member
4 posts

Posted:
Just wet your clothes down & wear a hoodie if you like your arm & head hair.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
OOh, I know, take a picture of you in your spinning gear and we shall see if we can 'cool you up', let me get the other gay guys to give you a fire spinning make over!

*runs off*

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
i'm assuming then, that you're looking for fire-safe clothing to wear for performances? because if it's just for practice, why does it matter?

for practice, i usually where cotton cargo pants and a t-shirt, sometimes short sleeve, sometimes long sleeve. sometimes a hoodie if it's cold.

for performance, i wear leather chaps, leather gauntlets & either a leather vest or no top. under the chaps, the square-cut brief things i wear are spandex, so definitely not fire-safe at all, but i wear cotton briefs under them -- more for fire safety than modesty. i also have some funkier cotton pants that i wear for performance sometimes, but i really prefer the leather. depends on the venue though, the leather outfit is a bit too fetish-y if there's going to be kids present.

once in a while, i'll bust out the leather miniskirt.

the costuming i have for doing light performances though...those are my faves. but of course nothing is fire-safe.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
oh my *faints*

We need pictures, or at least the queer spinners do! ubbrollsmile

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: PCPaul

Just wet your clothes down & wear a hoodie if you like your arm & head hair.

umm

A possible no no there.

You can get steam burns if the water condenses....

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It's not a possible 'no'. It's a definite 'no'.

Bad idea, smack whomever suggests wetting clothes.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

OOh, I know, take a picture of you in your spinning gear and we shall see if we can 'cool you up', let me get the other gay guys to give you a fire spinning make over!

*runs off*

Queer eye for the fire guy?

And blueboy, wearing cotton boxers under spandex ain't gonna stop the spandex igniting, burning and melting all over your crotch. *winces*. I know i, for one, wouldn't be taking any risks down there at all whatsoever. *considers tying water-filled condoms around his neck, so that if pants catch on fire, the heat will melt the condom, forcing it to break and extinguish fire*

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
oo if you were looking for like a special performing costume thing ask goth froggy...

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
i tend to wear nothing but a pair of 50% cotton, 50% polyester shorts and a pair of boxers. they've been there with me for over a year now and I wrap fire around my legs more than a healthy relationship should allow. never caught them on fire. the only things I've ever caught on fire was a t shirt (cotton), khaki shorts (cotton), a fleece (fleece), and a hoodie (cotton... twice in one night). and I will never EVER wear a hoodie while swinging ever again. once, I caught the pocket on fire, and the other time, I caught the hood... which was skeeeetchy. so I stopped wearing shirts all together. which leads to the next point... the 2 times I caught the skin on my back on fire.... *to be continued some other day*

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
well i have my first public performance with the amateur group i spin with on nov 5th ya see - I've lost loadsa weight too and i just wannas look sexy heehee ubbloco

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
leather hotpants and bra, then tongue

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
ditto

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
I'm not showing my midriff or legs.
1 - its rude
2 - its gonna be cold!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Tink whenever did being rude bother you umm

wink

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
aimee you have misconceptions of me - i'm verbally rude - not physically lol

I am not the inverness flasher! (although I have gone out in just a top, stockings, boots and a long coat before.)
I'll stop talking now.....

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

jeans, singlet top, done.

or, i suppose, leather vest-type thing if you're into that look and, you know, wearing other people's skin...

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Tink...I spin topless.... although I'm sure you're aware by now I am FAR more attractive than you ubblol wink
not the most protection... but i get very hot. and my staff moves sooo much nicer on skin... otherwise I wear a tight cotton vest.

(p.s. luv ya really...not) biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by: TinklePants

I'm not showing my midriff or legs.

1 - its rude

2 - its gonna be cold!

Its only rude if the girl doing it is a heffer, pregnant, and knocking back bottles of cider with her scally mates on the streets.

Try...*thinks* finding a picture of sage, she wears somet really good when she spins fire, you know from the video Sage Behind the Flame. Someone find pics, im too lazy....and not sure if its a real video lol

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

And blueboy, wearing cotton boxers under spandex ain't gonna stop the spandex igniting, burning and melting all over your crotch. *winces*. I know i, for one, wouldn't be taking any risks down there at all whatsoever.

No, the cotton won't prevent the spandex from melting, but I did do a burn test and these particular shorts (not exactly spandex, but some kind of stretchy stuff, I just used 'spandex' for shorthand) I wear takes 5 seconds of contact with the flame before it starts to melt. It's highly unlikely that I'll get into such a tangle that the poi will be in contact with my...um...nether regions for that long -- it's not like I do a lot of crotch wraps or anything! The most that could happen is I'd hit myself there. (I never have on fire -- if there's a move I'm attempting that results in regular contact with that area because I can't do it well enough yet, I wouldn't do it with fire.) If in the split-second it would take for the poi to bounce off of the area the stuff does start to melt, the cotton will keep it from melting to my skin. But again, for this particular fabric, it takes 5 seconds of contact with the flame to melt, which is actually quite a long time.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Page: