jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
On having a lunch break I had a very short spin, in a very VERY quiet kitchen, and it came to me, why are they not making noise?

Are there any poi or spinning toy that creates a noise, like the noise you hear when you blow across a bottle top, or a wind instrument ?

Could I make a pair? I know there are a lot of technical bods out there cool

Any ideas?

Appoligies if anyone thinks this should be in technical, I will request for it to be moved if so smile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
tailed poi make a lush sound smile

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
yes, but it would be better if your poi went

"WHOOOOOOO*clackaclacka*weeewaaaaweeeWHOOOOOO*clackaclacka*"

as opposed to

"swishswishswish"

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
there must be a way.

you could attach some wooden wind chimes to your poi. they wouldn't work very well, but i would be amused smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Indeed, I want a full blown *wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowooooooooooooooooooowooooooooooooooooooooooooooowooooooooooooooooooooooowooooooooowooooooooowooooooooooooooooooooo*

How on earth would you get the clackaclacka? ubblol

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
you can't see, but i am showing youright now

you go clackaclacka with your tongue. :P

maybe if you attached some kind of wooden thing to the end of multiple tails? although they'd get tangled up eventually. or how about flags with 2 squares (trinagles/whatever) joined at the chain with beads & stuf on them, they'd bang together but wouldn't get tangled.

could work.....

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Bullroarers!

https://didjeridoosmith.com/dreamtime_bullroarer.html

on the downside, they are very very hard and very very painful when they hit you...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I think it's a good idea, not sure how it would work in practise... my first thought is you'd need some sort of cone pointing into a whistle-like thing, with a shell built up around the outside of the whole thing so the open bit of the cone was aerodynamically at the front..

Alternatively some kind of bullroarer desing (I've never even heard of those) would probably be a hell of a lot easier!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
or like a whistle
or those thingies from...i forgot the name, but you throw them like an american football and they whitsle.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
i thought this before, then i thought you could even make different noted ones so that if you were really really clever you could play a tune whilst spinning, THEN i thought, no, there's no way that's going to work NOn, give up.... so i've not done it yet. so maybe when you figure out how to do noise, you can figure this one out for me too: biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You could just spin those hoover tube looking things that make different octaves when they spin.

But that would be weird and unpoilike.

I think this is a problem to be solved by you Jem. biggrin Get on it!

There's nothing more fun than seeing your own idea work. This is how bubble poi and fire plates were born. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

1,643 posts

Posted:
i saw those being sold as noise making poi somewhere... maybe it was even on here..... umm but they seemed rather expensive for what they were methunked. Mabe you can do something with string and vibrations from the wind what makes notes or something...

there's also an argentian art thing called ballineros or something that involves very hard little balls that are spun a bit like poi but are allowed to tap onto the ground to make some rhythm... they make a lot of noise, but look bloody dangerous!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

KradBRONZE Member
60 posts

Posted:
I've allways found filling your Poi with small children gives a very nice sound effect, tho regularly hitting them against walls will reduce the 'life expectancy' of the afor-mentioned children

"Hold on tight to what you love and cherish, allways stand up for what you know to be right. Live everyday as if it were your last, and dont forget to smile!"

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I saw some poi like things in a toy shop once, although they only came as one, not as a pair.
Small ball as a handle, piece of string attached to a soft ball with something inside it that made a whirly whistle sound as you spun it, and a large holographic ribbon attached to the bottom of it.
Even had some suggestions of moves on he back. And for the hard core kids
"try two for double the fun!!"
umm

Perhaps try having a gander around the local toyshop?

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Wow what a response! smile

Star, I feel silly, didnt even look in the hop shop tee hee, but what sort of noise to they make?

Aimee, I wonder what toy shop you found these misteriouse things in.........

Birgit, I hadn't thaught of those things, I want one..........

NYC, I will see what I can do now I have some ideas sparking smile, not sure it will catch on as much as hooping though, but who knows aye..............

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
hmm well it shouldnt be that hard to cut off the tail of one of these, and stick a screw in the underside of the head and put it on a string... plus they are nerf so they are soft and won't kill you when you hit yourself in the side of the head.

https://www.kiteworld.co.uk/acatalog/Kiteworld_Catalogue_Air_Toys_and_Rockets_112.html

also
https://www.cleanrun.com/category.cfm?Category=246
(scroll to the "foxtail sonic dog toy") I actually used to have a Foxtail when i was younger, quite fun to bounce it off stuff. Would make a pretty descent poi me-thinks, and the tail wouldn't look bad either. oh, and heres a more direct link https://www.epinions.com/kifm-review-6CF0-20722350-3A2C3928-prod2

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Niiice, im so gonna get the foxtail sonic and turn it into som poi

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Tumbridge Wells! It was in Tumbridge Wells! In a big shopping centre thing. I remembered whilst eating my pot noodle..

smile

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
pot noodle? u can make noodles out of weed? hmmm interesting.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I dont think that's what aimee meant.

but now that you mention it...

*rubs hands together and laughs evilly*

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Imbalance

pot noodle? u can make noodles out of weed? hmmm interesting.

You don't have pot noodle whereever you are? Unlucky! Its scrummy..

Damn stoners..

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
For the record, i am offically not a stoner. I havent been under the influence of marijuana for over a year and a half now *is proud*

offtopic

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

AkashlaBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
For the record, I am officially a stoner. I have been under the influence for marijuana for over ten years now *is proud AND stoned*

You could sew those little bell thingies onto tailed poi. Or use stringed bells as tails. Or raid the toddlers department of a toy shop and get any of those incredibly noisy toys that little kids always seem to have. A lot of them do go "clackylackalack"

I must experiment...

I am not a bitch.
I am THE bitch.
And Im Miss Bitch to you.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
The pot referes to the thing it comes in, just add boiling water and there you go, a wonderfull adative, artificial flavoured, carbohydrate packed crap fest. The best food is allways cheap crap food.

Non-Https Image Link

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: .:star:.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDet...rlies_carry_bag
smile

has anyone got these? i don't entirely understand how they work... they really do just look like those hoover tube things to me...

also pot noodle... i mean how actually do they work? ubblol (no need to answer that)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I've played with these and yes they are like hoover tubes but cut into appropriate lenths for 'tuning'. They make pretty pan pipe type sounds that change pitch at varying speeds. You can go faster or slower and make a 'tune' or have people doing different patterns. Very basic but pretty. I did weaves and butterflies and stuff with them exactly as if they were sock poi... had to keep the speed up a bit to keep the sound going but it was pretty much fun and impressive ie People around went oooh aaaah cos the other people using them were just making them go round and round.

Pot noodles are crap though. wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

Pot noodles are crap though. wink

Non-Https Image Link

LIAR!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
wonder if anyone realizes i was joking and actually already knew what she was REALLY talking about....