Page:
Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
just wondering if there's any london knitters, or potential knitters out there.

i was supposed to be doing some at spitz last wekk, but unsurprisingly i forgot and spent the evening in a drug fuelled stupor!

just in case you didn't realise...

1. knitting IS cool - yes i know most of you aren't worried about being cool (ha ha) but despite this, you stil might enjoy it. as an example, i made a really nice gothy jumper that only took a day to knit & cost me about £3. so there.

2. yes. boys can knit too.

so if anyone thinks it'll be worth my while then just pm me. if not then i'm condemned to being that weird girl on the bus frown

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I heard all about the knitting craze on the radio the other day, seems it is the "new" thing to do

My nan knitted me a scarf, and bed socks last christmas day biggrin love the click clack sound ubblove

whether i'll start knitting myself remains to be seen though....

hug2

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I can knit, but tend to crochet instead (somewhere on this board there's a link to my instructions on how to crochet nice juggling balls.)

Knitting a jumper in a day is pretty impressive- was it with chunky wool?

There are a fair number of knitting/crochet resources and groups out there currently- the 'knitterati' are one example; knitting seems to be quite fashionable at the moment.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Yay for crotchetting....Miriam just showed me...

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
knitting is gravy! biggrin i am currently knitting my mum a furry scarf, next on the agenda is a lovely hat for me! wooo!
Newbury knitting?

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
That's some stringy gravy you've got there jo wink

I like knitting, but I think spinning is more fun.
Wait... that sounds wrong around here - I mean spinning wool. smile

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Knitting a jumper in a day is pretty impressive- was it with chunky wool?

yeah, it's my special beginners pattern. size 12 needles...big wool! but it looks wicked though. smile

There are a fair number of knitting/crochet resources and groups out there currently- the 'knitterati' are one example; knitting seems to be quite fashionable at the moment.

hmmm i know....it's just like the poi dialema - the one where you want a t-shirt saying

'i did this before it was cool!'

ha ha, shallow i know, and i do want to get more people in to it, but i don't want to be compared to madonna! lol

strong-bad pop up book,

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

knitting and poi are very similar delemas for me... i can do the stiches and moves (respectively) but i can't do anything with them...

and i don't think i can spell either...

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
wooo! that's exactly what i'm talking about!

lots of people seem to be able to do basic knitting...but i wanna show people that you can actually do some really cool stuff with just 2 stitches (hence the beginner's jumper...)

it's really easy & very satisfying.

KNIT! GO ON! DO IT!

strong-bad pop up book,

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Crochets good, in that it tends to be faster than knitting; personally I found it easier to learn than knitting (other people find the reverse to be true), it's also very easy to create 3D shapes with crochet (eg balls- the first item I ever made with crochet was a orange tea-cup!).

The downside of crochet is that it uses more wool than an equivalent sized knitted item, and, due to the relative lack of 'stretch' in crocheted items, i find that knitting is preferable for making stuff like jumpers.

One thing that does work well in crochet is hats, where the lack of stretch isn't a problem- with thick wool (or doubled normal wool) it's straightforward to make a seamless wool 'beanie' in a couple of hours.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

yeah i bought stich n b!tch a few weeks ago to see if i could use it to actually make something out of my two whole stiches... i made the little patch in the front with the loveheart on to practice... but i still messed up a couple stiches in the middle of it so there's a flat patch tongue

then i was going to make one of the little wrist cuff things but just plain cuz i can't get the hang of that whole two threads and pictures and things... but i couldn't make the ribbing work... frown

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

jinvincibleGOLD Member
king of the hedgehogs
125 posts

Posted:
Knitting is very cool indeed. I highly recommend it. If it weren't for the pesky fact that I live about 8700 km from London I'd join you for a knit-meet.

Yellow and blue make green.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
can you show me the jumper pattern? that would be awesome! i can knit, i can purl, but baby can i swirl! (hmm, ignore that last commment, i cant really swirl, or twirl).
But the jumper!! yay!!bounce

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Me me meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, when I'm back in londidno smile

p.s you or weasle got a gecko yet? hope so smile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:

I can knit, but tend to crochet instead (somewhere on this board there's a link to my instructions on how to crochet nice juggling balls.)

I found it:
[Old link]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Knitting's getting more and more popular all the time. I rememeber when we used to knit in funky east end bars and tube trains and people thought we were mad.

Have a look at CastOff for London based events.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
My first crotchetting is a hat!! biggrin Im told its not very flattering frown

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
yeah for knitting!!!! I just finished my super long fluffy scarf. It's so nice and warm. tongue

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
knittings good but i find crochetting better as i can do it without looking...

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
It's winter, so its the knitting season. I started out with a simple scarf. Now I need ideas of what to move onto.

I've made loads of baby jumpers in the past, but as soon as I get to knitting bigger stuff it all ends up wrong. I can't seem to get the hang of tension. Everything I knit ends up shorter but wider than it should on the pattern. It's not so noticable on the little baby clothes but on the bigger jumpers it looks stupid. Any tips/help you can offer?

Crocheting is something I don't think I know how to do. Maybe I should learn that instead.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
I'll teach you to crochet Skully!
Just come and see me and we can have a workshop all to ourselves smile hug

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I've figured out how to make Daves balls today. I kind of think maybe a long time ago I was taught basics in crochet but I don't remember having any lessons. It all just felt kind of familiar when I tried.

Maybe its because I can knit.... after a fashion ubblol

More lessons would be most welcome though Missy Molly hug kiss

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tao Star

i made a really nice gothy jumper that only took a day to knit & cost me about £3. so there.

You knitted a WHOLE jumper in a DAY!?!?! eek blimey, my knittings not up to scratch then, i once started to make a scarf, a stripey one (this was about 13 years ago now) i did 25 lines, and left it at that. However it did make a particularly suitable blanket for a small teddy bear... umm

i'm trying to learn to crochet at the moment, but i get really confused with the first line or two cos i keep twisting it round, that, and i broke the crochet hook..... need some practice

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
During the winter is the only time that I get any knitting done, it's too cold to go outside and do any spinning. Right now I'm in the middle of a Celtic Knot Afgahn ... umm I wonder way I never pick up a project that I can finish in a day?

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

1. knitting IS cool

although what is hip and really cool can be found here: Knitting Magazine
one might notice the extra huge knitting needles (although these are definitely not british needles) eek
I think nothing is sacred anymore wink

Written by:

2. yes. boys can knit too.

My outing! And if anyone has interest in meeting between the 14th and 19th somewhere in London I would love to join. Mix the whole thing with some hot choclate and we have a nice winter-atmosphere for firedancing. So who is in?!?

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I have been really bitten by the knitting and crochet bug! Can't stop making stuff!

Crochet is great for making hats. I've been making pixie hats this week. Each one only took about 5 hours to make.

Non-Https Image Link

Its really simple, all done in Double Crochet, just keep spiraling around, adding a few stitches here and there to make it get bigger. I added a small plait of wool to the top to make it longer

Edit: Just realised the hat in the pic is done in continuous slip stitch rather than dc. Once my camera is charged again i'll put up a pic of the dc one.
EDITED_BY: .:star:. (1133983906)

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
eek wow thats amazing

i've been trying to make a hat like that for ages but haven't managed to yet

well done that looks great clap clap clap

i'll have to try crocheting one

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Cool Hat hun!

I might have a go at that. I have loads of red fleece here if you would like some to line it for uber warmth biggrin

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Outstanding hat, and it really looks good on you smile

You could go into business and sell those on E-bay.

In crochet books there seems to be a lack of conformity in what constitutes 'double-chrochet' etc, with Americans and British books using different terms.

So I'm wondering what stich 'slip-stitch' is, in your terms.

I've always assumed slip-stitch to be the one where you put the hook through the fabric, and then pull the wool straight through both the fabric and the loop on the hook.

If that's what you used, then well done- I find that stitch to be quite difficult to get any speed with (I find single-crochet ie hook through fabric, pull wool through, then wrap yarn round hook and pull through both loops on hook, to be my favourite, and a good compromise in speed and texture quality).

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i've been knitting pixie hats this week too! :d
I have made a khaki green and fluffy purple one smile
Yay for pixie hats!
I even knitted a little hippy dude, i'll post a pic soon smile

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
WOW. cool. crochet is just not working for me at the minute, i'm going to go bug the women in the knitting shop and ask her lots of questions how to make it work.... i keep getting confuzzled.... too many loops!

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Page: