Forums > Social Discussion > Report disagreeing bio weather indicators here (frogs,ants,etc)

Login/Join to Participate

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
Reading Valura's bushfire post made me glad I have my 25mm firefighting hose out ready in the yard here in Oxley ,Brisbane, especially when grass on the train track grows 3M tall.

However I dont know if I should build an ark aswell.

I had a green frog croaking the whole time that 40 degree dry windy weather was on, and it is even more noisy now. The ants are active aswell. The only problem with the imminent rain indicators is that a bird has now been nesting in my gutters for about a month, probably because it thinks they will stay dry.

If these are the sort of things that climate change brings, I think I'll be looking at land in a place like New Zealand and increasing my emergency food stores to at least 3 years to cope with natural disasters of biblical proportion, not just the12 months supply of dry food everyone should have for routine emergency preparations. What a shame NZ is not geologically stable aswell.

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
is brisbane america or australia? im not very good with my geography

and i live in merry old, never has natural desasters like hurricanes, weather is always the same ( i.e. drizzly and cold) England and were getting a mollion and one natural desasters like tornadoes and floods

it has to be worrying is the most weather wise sound country is getting natural desasters because of all this destroying the atmosphere stuff

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
there was a hurricane once in england, i remember it even though i was little.

it trashed a lot of stuff in our village - but we only lost three roof tiles. *sigh of relief*

in the modern world seems like everything has to be bigger, faster, more destructive... these young people aren't satisfied without something a bit more impressive are they? when will they learn?

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
and everything has to be now..... microwave meals because coking takes too long, sky because we cant wit for it to be on terrestrial TV, instant messeging because we cant wait for an email back

what happened to just having patience

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: The_Magnesium_Master

I had a green frog croaking the whole time that 40 degree dry windy weather was on, and it is even more noisy now. The ants are active aswell. The only problem with the imminent rain indicators is that a bird has now been nesting in my gutters for about a month, probably because it thinks they will stay dry.

Two things to bear in mind:

Animals aren't magical
Many animals have a reasonable sense of impending weather that comes from living outdoors all the time. You would have one too if you did likewise. However this sense doesn't let them see into the future, just make a reasonable prediction about a day or so into the future based on humidity, temperture and windspeed (just like weather forecasters do).

Some animals are stupid
Despite all the efforts of natural selection you are still going to get animals that are going to do the wrong thing, bit like people really. So there is a pretty good chance that any weather prediction you make based on that bird in your gutter will be slightly unreliable to say the least.

Also, believe it or not, human weather forecasts are quite reliable, despite the popularity of complaigning about them. wink

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ywah, and the cow thing? rubbish! cows sit down when they are tired.

...just in case anyone was wondering smile

strong-bad pop up book,

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tao Star

ywah, and the cow thing? rubbish! cows sit down when they are tired.

...just in case anyone was wondering smile

They also often sit down when it's raining, but not before. So their usefulness as a predictive power are on a par with, say, a brick.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

just more aesthetic and with cooler 'moo' sounds.

strong-bad pop up book,