Forums > Videos > Rovo's Videos - Fire @ Play Poi Retreat April 2011 (updated 4/11/2012)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
A poi set from the Play Poi Retreat in Montezuma last year! What an amazing time it was!

One Take Silliness

ChrisRovo's Youtube

EDITED_BY: Chris Bailey (1334171643)

Peace, Love, Circles

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Nice vid!
Pity about the quality of it, i think it would have been fantastic otherwise.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I'm going to go fix the quality and switch to a different host. It'll be better in a little bit.

Peace, Love, Circles

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Dude!

Nice work- yeah, quality and size aren't up t scrath but the spinning- you've done well there mate, thanks for sharing smile

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
liked the vid man - good work smile

eek some of the links were sweet as....

Thanks for sharing dude nice clap

Though I reckon you could extend your arms a little more in some of the flowers esp. when your left arm is behind you , my left arm never does what I tell it to.

But loved the vid much better than I could do . . .

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Oh I should have added criticism is completely welcome. Thats what this section is for. Yes I know my left hand doesn't like to stay all the way behind me especially when I turn antispin. It gets a little wonky sometime. Thanks chut and pink also. I am going to make a new one soon now that I have 400 mb of space to play around with. This time I'll remember to charge the camera up before I go to tape. The next video I make is either going to be me spinning fire in a local graveyard or is one inspired by the lesser known Ben Woolsey, entitled Country Bumpkin Spinning. biggrin Oh and the links on the site were put there by my friend who's website I'm using to host videos.

Peace, Love, Circles

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
wow nice one man!! inspiring stuff!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

RobertBruceGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Great vid Rovo...

I can see some of the stuff we learned from Nick in there... wink Can't wait for the next video. smile Take care and keep in touch, next time you head to Montreal let me know.

Robert

Robert Bruce
Poi Geek, Technologie Freak. Montreal, Quebec Canada

gponxBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Nice moves!
That's the kind of moves that I'm just discovering.
Please put some details on how you got that video (compression, etc)

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I just shot a quick vid about a minue long that I think is almost entirely atomicly spun. I am going to try and get it hosted before I go to work tommarow afternoon but that might not work. Anyway when I get it online can someone tell me if this is what atomic's are? It is 3am right now though so I am off to bed. ubbrollsmile

Peace, Love, Circles

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I just put the video of me spinning atomic online.

Peace, Love, Circles

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
wicked videos smile i enjoyed the 1st non atomic one alot, some cool moves, especially the one that came out from under your arm to a wrong end catch.. smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I just uploaded a recent practice vid. The editing is a little shoddy with this being the first time I ever tried editing my own video but it came out ok. I should have an led poi vid up sometime in the next day or two. Then hopefully some fire!

Any comments, suggestions, and criticism?

Peace, Love, Circles

RobertBruceGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
ROVO!! Good job... love the new video smile

When are you coming back to Montreal? wink

Robert Bruce

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Good work! the pirouettes and buzzsaw fountains were nicely executed. I can see you've smoothed out a lot of stuff since the last bit. Also your atomic stuff is looking nice and smoothly integrated.
smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Hi Rob. I have no idea when I'll be able to make it back to Montreal. If I'm going to visit anytime soon I will need to get a passport now that they've tightened up border security even more. I could go on about that but thats another thread entirely.

Lazyangel- I don't know how I feel about the atomic stuff still. The past couple days I've been trying to find a flow with it and it's coming along nicely but when I filmed this footage it still felt kind of wonky. I'm not sure if it should be a continuous flow or if it should just be used as transitions between all the other 2d stuff. Cause soemtimes it looks a littl ugly to me.

Peace, Love, Circles

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
very nice man, biggrin high quality stuff, except the codec of course biggrin Still a great watch though.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Cool!!!
Very impressed good style and a very nice flow!!!
Well done!!

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Yeah I will try and use a better codec next time. Thanks for the compliments, too. Hopefully I can do some editing on some other footage I have today.

Peace, Love, Circles

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
fantastic stuff lovely to watch
although i am a sucker for tecnical stuff

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Sticksnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Good work Rovo wow cool

Hmm, isn't it about time??

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
blimmin eck, very nice and flowing and no mistakes and crammed with variety thanks smile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Thanks! I'm visiting some friends near the Canadian border right now and am compiling a bunch of footage of spinning and lots of other fun nonsense. I actually got recruited by the RA's in my friends dorm to put on a presentation and demonstration of poi and fire spinning tommarow. I'm pretty excited but I should have that on tape too. Later

Peace, Love, Circles

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
comments i just posted on spherculism (edited with hop graemlins): wink

ah! that last video was supa-sweet man! ubblove

i really liked the first one anyway but by the second one you've tidied up all your timings and all those nice ideas really shine through supa smooth and completely in flow with each other. some really good poi thinking/movement going on with stalls in good places making the transitions between nice circle patterns...

the atomic stuff works fine an is some of the best i've seen to actually keep it in flow with everything else. reminded me a bit of how matt does it. like the slidy footwork too, and the fact that i can see the peron filming you in the mirror... i did prefer the location in the first one but that's irrelevant compared to the spinning! biggrin

very good job man, look forward to a fire/glow vid an meeting you for a spin someday... beerchug

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Thanks dude! I actually don't like the atomic stuff in this vid too much just because I know whats possible looks a ton cooler then what I was doing. It's a pain in the arse to remember to put all the little tricks that make atoms fun together, especially in front of a camera.

I will have a fire vid up soon, I hope. I met this guy who does live digital video mixes for the projection screens at raves and for the use of my footage when he tours he's making me a half hour demo reel to send to promoters and whomever to try and get some gigs. From what I understand he mixes video like a dj mixes sound so what hes making me is going to be different then any videos out there. I don't even know what its going to look like when it's finished but I guess he wants another hour of footage by friday.

I definately need to get across the pond someday, and by someday I mean when I am not so poor. Then again people could come over here. There was already the first Uberpoi in the UK, then Uberoz, so I have to ask when is Uberpoi North America coming? wink biggrin

Peace, Love, Circles

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Since I knew some people wanted to see some clips of me spinning fire I decided to throw some clips together from some of the footage from my Demo/DVD thing. It's not the best quality video and they aren't the best clips but it's something for now. Enjoy! ubbrollsmile

Peace, Love, Circles

RobertBruceGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
wow! great stuff

Written by: Rovo

Since I knew some people wanted to see some clips of me spinning fire I decided to throw some clips together from some of the footage from my Demo/DVD thing. It's not the best quality video and they aren't the best clips but it's something for now. Enjoy! ubbrollsmile

Robert Bruce

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
About the fire teaser: you can finally see how a lot of the atomic stuff works visually: really liked that! The stalls were pretty tasty too, and the patterns were nice and neat! good work! smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Thanks smile I just wish I thought about better lighting and had music to listen to while spinning. If it was a lil bit brighter you would be able to see that in the second clip I am standing on a four foot wide cement beam over water. It was a neat place to spin.

Peace, Love, Circles

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
first of all let me say there's some really good, clean spinning in the atomic vid... some really nice flowers! but i didn't see any atomics? i'm just confused?

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh wait i see i think your link buttons need rearranging ooooops

that was a pleasant little trip! your spinning reminds me of me somehow biggrin

really nice stalls, you pop those things right back in dead on beat, nice job! the fire vid i think really accentuates the clean stalls and flowers.

my only critique would be your legs, i would say either keep your feet together much more than not, or move them more intentfully. you've got great body spinning, by that i mean i can tell your whole body feels what your poi are doing, and i thin with some intent in your legs you could really excel.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Page: