Forums > Videos > Rovo's Videos - Fire @ Play Poi Retreat April 2011 (updated 4/11/2012)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
A poi set from the Play Poi Retreat in Montezuma last year! What an amazing time it was!

One Take Silliness

ChrisRovo's Youtube

EDITED_BY: Chris Bailey (1334171643)

Peace, Love, Circles

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
AFter I made those last videos I really started working on moving with the poi. Luckily I have a friend who teaches all kinds of dance so I am going to have her help me with my leg movement a bit.

I just wish I had access to a camera today. I took a few days off from spinning and went kayaking and hiking and now that I'm back I just semm to have improved a bunch from before my lil adventure.

Peace, Love, Circles

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
A video I made to see what some ideas of mine look like on film.

Peace, Love, Circles

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
that new video is sweet, full of sweet moves, loved it all... and bits of it made me go confused ubbloco which i like even more biggrin hehe, also liked the music rolleyes.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Great stuff Rovo! Watched a couple of your vids and enjoyed them thoroughly. You move really well and your spinning's flowy and a joy to watch. I enjoyed the glowstringing stuff that sneaked in, and generally it was good to see nice big chunks of smooth (yet tricky) spinning- gave me the chance to really get into it.

The latest sock vid (on the stage) and the atomic videos I liked muchly- the fire one didn't really do it for me though. Seemed a bit too hectic and the filming (constant zooming in and out, autofocus, lack of ambient light) really didn't help it.

Looking forward to more productions- keep up the great work! smile

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
definately need to turn autofocus off.. this vid was a bit hard on the eyes at times since the cam kept trying to adjust..

I also liked cleric's other glowgod pic better.. but that's just me..

apart from that, I think your spinning has improved a lot more from the last vid... I liked the one on stage a bit more, but I think that's because it was less experimental, so it had an nicer overall feel to it..

nice to you see you trying some new ideas though..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Rovo, the last half of the sock video really was amazing... You are working on some fascinating stuff! Intricate.

I can see that you are starting to get your feet free, way to go! Now they are making an escape from center ground pivot point, you could try and see what happens if you move through the floorspace, create floor patterns too... Could be interesting.

Hard to film though, sigh.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Andrea

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Yeah sorry about the quality. I was the camerman and performer trying to use a camera I wasn't familiar with.

Ry- The fire video was something I just threw together so I had a video of me spinning fire online. It was more to show non-spinner friends what I have been upto. I have been on GS.c alot lately and wanted to show them atomic wraps so thats what the second clip in the vid is for.

Rev- Once it gets nice out I should put some real effort into making a beautifully produced video. It's pretty obvious all the editing is done quick and with a mediocre program. Some of the spinning was a bit out there in this hopefully next time I'll ahve it a lil more under control.

Andrealee- I wish I was filming in a place where I could have music but that wasn't the case last night. I have really been working on trying to move my body and feet more it's just alot harder when there's silence. I want my spinning to eventually become a mating of tech and dance to the point that my body/feet movements won't limit my ability to spin extremely technical. If only I was a better dancer without things in my hands this wouldn't be such a big task.

Oli- biggrin The music is by Keller Williams. He's amazing!

Peace, Love, Circles

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
mm.. could see the gs.c stuff ubblol Seemed to work with the socks- especially the arm poi tapping movements (whatever they're called..ubblol) Good stuff overall though. Colour me impressed! biggrin

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I have a video online now of a friend mixing some footage of me spinning fire to a track my friend made. I had to capture the footage from a dvd player and the quality is pretty poor. This video doesn't do the clip justice.

A little about the video: A friend of mine is making an "instrument" that enables you to mix videos live, similar to what a DJ does with sound. The clip you can download is a recording of my friend mixing clips of me spinning and adding effects at the same time. Keep in mind he was making this video along to the music, real time, we had a camera fixed on the monitor so we could record how he was manipulating the video.

Even though it's not the best quality, it is still unique and I haven't seen anything like it before. I think it's neat how my performance art was transformed into digital art. Anyway enjoy and....

right click save as biggrin

Peace, Love, Circles

RobertBruceGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Very nice, very creative.... Your spinning in the start was amazing but effects got in the way near the end, I realize it's a music video and effects are fun smile

Robert Bruce
Poi Geek, Technologie Freak. Montreal, Quebec Canada

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
You have to understand what makes the video neat is the guy mixed the video real time live. He didn't mix the clips together one at a time to create a video he listened to the music and created this clip to go along with it.

Peace, Love, Circles

RobertBruceGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Oh I see!

Well then it's a VJ thing... that's kewl.

Robert Bruce

RobertBruceGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
I keep watching the very start of this video the slow motion part and... your skills are amazing! I hope we get the chance to meet again sometime and I'll have to try and be less anti social smile When it comes to Poi I get lost in the circles.

Robert Bruce

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Dude, no worries, I think everyone on this site can relate to losing themselves in the circles every so often. I hope I can get back to Montreal someday soon. I go to Plattsburgh quite often which is only a stones throw from the border but I haven't got any one to make the trip across yet. frown

Peace, Love, Circles

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Silly Poi

I was bored so I made this with some footage I had sitting around. It'll be linkied to my real page soon for now MySpace will have to do.

Peace, Love, Circles

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
That roof's not snow-covered is it? That manic dancing made me very nervous.. ubblol Couldn't have chosen a better track.. smile

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Added comments to the myspace vid page. Freakin amazing as usual!

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
No the roof wasn't snow covered and I have no comment on the manic dancing. smile

Thanks Sui. biggrin

Peace, Love, Circles

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
amazing catches release accuracy, in mid airwrap as well, good throws and stalls, I liked it alot, wow.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I just added a link to the downloadable version from my website. Or here it is again... *Right Click Save As*

Peace, Love, Circles

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I just added a new fire spinning video and I am pretty proud of the spinning in this. Once again it is not the best editing job and not the best filming, but in my defense I do not love editing videos or filming them, I love spinning poi.

New Fire Video

Peace, Love, Circles

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
There is now a direct link to my new video for all of you that don't like to watch streaming files. smile

Fire Poi - May '06 (right click save as)

Peace, Love, Circles

qazthecrazynewbie
4 posts

Posted:
MAN I LOVE YOUR STYLE IN YOUR NEW VIDEO I ONLY HAVE 1 QUESTION 4 YOU CAN U DO THE 8 BEAT WEAVE

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
No I can't do any higher level weaves really. I can do a sloppy thru-wrapped 7 beat and sometimes the one where you knot up at the elbows and the wrists but that one hurts my arms and shoulders. I don't think these weave's really fit my style of spinning. There's plenty of other ways to add beats to a pattern without tangling yourself up as much.

Though as a move on it's own 7 beat or 9 beat weaves do look pretty neat.

Peace, Love, Circles

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
bro, i love your poi, frickin addicted to it... im pretty much speachless.... i freaking love it

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
dude: sweet as usual biggrin

I liked the energy in the vid, especially in the flower pirouettes on one leg and dancing about. Buzzsaw variations were creating some interesting patterns there, I like the playing around with spin/antispin. I'm not sure if I missed it, but was there any atomic stuff in that vid?

film wise, the start and end sections (under a light?) stood out as being a good balance between light and poi visibility, while I found the middle bit waaaay too dark, which made some of the more subtle stuff like hand changes harder to see. But like you said, video editing isn't a buzz for you..
smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your kind remarks.

Lazy - I told the people filming for me that if I went away from the light my body movements wouldn't show up on video well and I was right. I actually increased the brightness twice on that middle clip and it still didn't brighten up enough. Oh and no there wasn't any atomics in there. They actually grew to be pretty boring. Right now my main focus is inversions even though there is only two in the video and they are hard to see due to the lack of light.

Peace, Love, Circles

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
*bump*

I just added an old sock poi video I forgot about. It's from sometime in March, but I think it has some neat stuff in it so I figured I might as well put it on youtube.

Old Socks Video

Peace, Love, Circles

RobertBruceGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
wink Hmmmm... You rock!

Robert Bruce

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I gots a new one...

Chris "Rovo" Bailey playing around, like for fun ya know?

Peace, Love, Circles

Page: