Forums > Technical Discussion > String vs chain - a silly question I'm sure

Login/Join to Participate

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
This is probably a daft question, but I've only been playing with poi for less than a week.
I have a pair of glowbalz with nylon cords, and am getting some poi with tails in the next few days, again with nylon.

But I am wondering what the difference is using nylon to using chain cords - or do you really only use chain when you're using fire?

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I did some searches but couldn't find anything. Perhaps that's juts cos it's a silly question?
ubbloco

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
um its generally a good idea to stick to chain as string is flamable and not very strong.

Mabie get a little more exp before playing wih fire?

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Uhmm.. she wasn't asking about fire..

Chains are generally heavier and less flexible than nylon cords, as well as quite a bit more expensive. If you're not going to be trying fire out any time soon, then nylon cords should suit you fine. If you have the money and want to try it out, there's not reason not to go with chains, as you can generally swap out cords and poi as the mood fits.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
my brother has some thin chains, not fun for wrapping, but they work just as well as cord

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tips.
Definately not playing with fire anytime soon - God knows the state my face would be in after a session - I'm whacking myself around my head more often than my poi are twirling through the air.

Boo x

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
if you get fine chain, then it's easier to do wraps with wink

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
hmm i personally think that chain is better for all poi...see if not you...I spend all my time fiddling about with tangled strings

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
agreed, string tangles easier.. plus the chain will balance differently than string will so when you decide to transfer over to some firepoi it's a strange change sometimes if you're not used to the chain.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Just get socks, it takes all the controversy out of it.

smile

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Yah...socks or cone poi. You can still add tails if you want and they look good.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
my string never tangles that bad, its my tails that dont behave, sure ripstop doesnt rip, but it sure can fray when not properly hemmed

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
OK. Niaviety warning.
Silly question coming up.... redface

Socks? confused

Boo x

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
the best invention ever...

....buy yourself a long pair of socks and 2 juggling balls.

put balls in end of socks,tie a knot at the other end.

hold on to them
spin them.

they're in my opinion the best and easiest things to practice with.

if you can't get/don't want to buy juggling balls, two small bags of rice (a bit smaller than tennis ball size) also works really well,or indeed tennis balls.

P.S-check your intro thread and PM's!x

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Sock poi are great, and nice to the wallet smile. If you take a look at the vid forum section, you will see socks in use quite a bit (moreso than you will see poi with tails). You can buy sock poi (from here for instance) or make sock poi yourself.

To make sock poi, grab a pair of (preferrably heel-less) socks, leggings or tights (cutting the legs of if tights), and fill them with something for the weight. Beginners will often use another sock rolled up (nice for when the poi goes astray), but you can also use things like beans, rice, tennis ball, hackey sack, etc.. etc... Just tie off the open end for a handle. Take a look at this thread for great sock examples:

[Old link]

edit: ack, beat out by a maus... biggrin
EDITED_BY: Suibom (1129112473)

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
biggrin biggrinalthough to be fair your explanation went into a little more detail!

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
lentils are also good sock fillers (125g in each for me, with 55g in the handles for good throwing) but whatever feels good

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
Couldn't open the vid of the sock poi on the link you gave me Sui frown
However, sock poi have now been created out of a pair of old tights and some rice - which took me a lot of effort 'cos I like to eat rice, not get hit by it.
ubbcryingNot happy with them. They look like poi only Nora Batty would spin. Maybe I should have used funkier tights, not the old flesh-coloured ones I wear for work.....
I know it shouldn't matter if they're only for practicing as no-one will see, but I will know that I'm using them!
Having said that, they are easier to play with for the new (for me, for most other people old and easy) moves.
Thanks guys!
biggrin

Boo x

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I've found popcorn (un-popped) to be ideal for weighting socks. If you have smaller lumps in there (rice or whatever), the result is a much harder weight. What I do is pour popcorn into the end of a long sock until it feels like a nice weight. Next take the popcorn and stick it in a plastic bag - tie a knot so it can't get wet. Now turn your sock inside out, and stick the bag in. Tie a knot then turn the sock the right way in. You should now have a single sock poi. To make handles, just tie a knot in the end, or do a plait (which I tend to do). Some people add weight to the handle which makes it wasier to do throws and catches smile

You can get some really funky socks if you look for them. I use a pair of black and white ones and these are by far my favourite poi (after my HyperLights of course).

That's my 2p - good luck smile

Cake or Death?

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
If you need suggestions for looking for long socks, I'd suggest going down a local market or something. There's normally a decent range of knee-length socks available so you can pick what you think looks best (they're not normally bad meaning you can't be seen using them in public tongue). The socks down my local market cost me like £1.50 or something, doesn't have to be great quality, just needs to hold together. Only problem with mine are that even though they're quite old now (2 months of constant use) they still stretch a lot when I swing them.

In terms of string and chains, I think because my first pair of poi are actually tail poi, the ball was a tennis ball and had a long tail.
If they had a chain, the balance would be weird as the weight wouldn't be concentrated towards the poi ball end.
I just think chains are used because of durability and strength reasons, hence why you wouldn't normally see them used for non-fire poi.

It's better to burn out than to fade away