Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

bugsdugganstranger
2 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to tidy up my planes, mess with some throws and catches and also nail flowers but it's cold outside and I don't have space to practice above my head indoors. Roll on summer!

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Wow. Just listening to you guys makes me feel liks such a n00bie still.

Working on doing flowers with both arms at once, transitioning between what I do know, watermill, doing butterfly for a whole minute, perfect airwraps, and the 5 beat weave (which my friend STIll insists is the 7 beat weave. =\)

All with just a pair of glowsticks on short strings.

Risen from the Ashes
The Phoenix shall rise in his royal flaire.
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
if u can do 5bt you are doing better then i am. I havent mastered that move in like 6 years just somthing a bout it i cant quite get.

At the moment i am working on isolations and some cool flower variations. Also alot of whipcatchs and over the shoulder throws.
EDITED_BY: MikefromGlos (1235255178)
EDIT_REASON: text languade

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Apparently I can do 5 beat weaves on Handles (glowstringing where glowsticks are on both ends, like really short meteor poi). That's because they can't hit my body from being too short. =D

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

fireelfburner
23 posts

Posted:
the most recent thing i have learned was the 3 beet btb. so much fun =) i am also working on isolations as well. i can do them well with only one hand going... but with both it is still a chalange lol.

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
I am now proficient withn right hand stalls. :]

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

Arson86SILVER Member
once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places...
20 posts

Posted:
im working on underhand 5 beat weaves. i can do it going towards my left shoulder but cant get it towards the right shoulder for the life of me! this has been going on for more than a week now through some pretty serious practice sessions. anyone with pointers please help ive tried slowing it down speeding it up using different colored socks nothing is helping.

ashes ashes all fall down...
...Sat Nam

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hmmm by underhand you mean reverse?

And by going toward your left shoulder, its all on your left side?

Try turning around in the forwards 5 beat. (Turn to the right to get it to come up on the correct side)

If this doesnt help at all, get a video up of your attempt and I'll try work out whats going wrong...

Make sure each hand is doing its job properly, often its the left hand not pushing the left poi back across your body well enough.(Thats assuming I'm understanding your "Toward the right shoulder" remark properly...)

hug

Arson86SILVER Member
20 posts

Posted:
thank you for your help! ok so hear goes- everything you say, correct. now spinning out of the forwards 5-beat is how i learned to get it towardds my left shoulder i dont know why it is not working towards the right. i am watching the poi and one of two things happens- left poi wraps hopelessly around left arm and i get hit or left poi tangles with the right and slows it down from making the arc to my right shoulder. the poi lose split time. this is frustrating... i would send you a video but i dont have a cam. is there possibly a strecth or some sort of exercise you would reccoment for this to stop happening?

...Sat Nam

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I was right about it being the left not coming across, its got to get on the LEFT side of your body try it being aware of that, try it with just the left poi making sure you yank it right across to the left, it'll get more natural with practice.

If that fails try this :

Cross your arms up as though you're in the 5 beat weave thing and do figure 8s in even time, then in split time. So thats left hand on the bottom, twisted under the right to be on the left and right poi to the right.

That should be your familiar side.

Then try doing that hands the other way.

hug

Arson86SILVER Member
20 posts

Posted:
OMG I finnaly got it!!! Thank you so much you dont know. All moves feel great to learn, but the fact that i could only do half the weave for so long was really getting to me, this has opened up so much in terms of dance. Everything felt extremely one-sided. My wrists are sore and red, my shoulder feels like its gonna come out the socket, but now that i got it i dont see where the trouble was before. Thank you again! Im off to try some new combos!

...Sat Nam

steambugGOLD Member
stranger
21 posts

Posted:
Um, currently under the legs stuff, waistwrap stuff, plane control behind head, back and whilst turning 360 in relation to plane of poi... Oh and how to move lots/ well whilst spinning without tangling poi around the clothesline or prayer flags in my backyard. grin

I have to admit, through several years of spinning I haven't made any attempt to learn the reverse 5bt weave. I guess I don't really see the point confused. 5, 7 etc bt weaves just seem to lock you up more, thereby restricting movement surely? Or am i wrong? i guess maybe it depends on your spinning style... and stuff? rolleyes

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
currently btb reverse 3 beat and highreels/ fountains.

anyone else find starting to learn btb stuff is a crazy workout?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well, I know that waistwraps are painful....

Parhelion: They are nice at times to give a dramatic slow-down as you cross. Not really vital though. I also throw them in from time to time if I start doing something with a 3bt weave and it starts going wrong....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
I try to hit my belt when I do waistwraps. x:

And I can't seem to do the buzzsaw fountain.

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
the past few days ive been playing with some of the ideas in cyrilles new video, entitled 'medley'.. theres a link in the video section, i highly reccomend it smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

steambugGOLD Member
stranger
21 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonI also throw them in from time to time if I start doing something with a 3bt weave and it starts going wrong....
ooh, thats a good point, now you mention it I think I've unintentionally done that with a forward 5bt a couple of times. Also something to think about on the dramatic slowing down point, so cheers for that Aston wink beerchug

I guess maybe my objection is that generally, 5 beat weaves-amongst other 'beat intensive' moves- can require more kind of 'planning' to transition into than many other moves. I'm not very diligent at planning several moves ahead, I kinda like moving freely, and not thinking whilst doing so. Guess though should just stop being lazy and overprotectional of my wrists and learn it.

V_Regal: If buzzsaw fountains are the same as buzzsaw flowers (I'm pretty sure they are??) then I found that having pretty good planes, and keeping good, consistent rhythm (e.g. split time) the whole way through are really important in getting them to work.
practicing one hand at a time whilst standing in front of a wall (facing it) is really helpful- lets you know when poi planes are even slightly dodgy cause they'll thwack into the wall (or your head frown ), and counting/ feeling the beats- as nick woolsey would put it. Ooh, and watch his video tute on them if you haven't already- tis good.

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
I am working on getting 5b and making my flowers pretty. I finally got TTN and am working on perfecting it. Still doing isolations. Mostly I'm playing around with making my transitions smooth between moves. Doing 180 spins from 3b and reverse 3b. To butterfly, TTN, flowers, reels, buzzsaw. I'm just messing around and working out my style so I can do all these basic moves looking really sexy. weavesmiley

I got my glow poi!! I love them!
EDITED_BY: Derwyn (1238014228)

"When we dance with the faeries, we dance with the reflections of our true selves and the true inner self of the world."

"If you keep thinking like that, you'll never get to meet a Unicorn."

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Cateyes and a few nice antispin flower releases that look rather cool imho. Not really been spinning until recently so also relearning some of the stuff I've forgotten (plus 1s and wibbles anyone)

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I'm working on trying to get motivated in a place full of spinners, who are all miles ahead of me.. smirk

And trying to work on moving better..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

RainbowmaryBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
I am trying to learn a move that my friend calls the "Spanish Dancer". Have you guys heard of that? Cause I've done some searches and nothing comes up so I wonder if she/we just call it something else?

*Insert poignant and emotionally relevant song lyric here*

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: RainbowmaryI am trying to learn a move that my friend calls the "Spanish Dancer". Have you guys heard of that? Cause I've done some searches and nothing comes up so I wonder if she/we just call it something else?

Never heard of it. I can think of a few movements I might name that simply because of the way in which you can move your arms, mostly flower combos. smile If you tell us what the poi are doing we might be able to work out what it is and maybe give a few tips on learning it or just a name you can search on youtube. smile

hug

RainbowmaryBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the response MotherNaturesSon. It kind of involves flipping your poi back and forth behind you, then to the front. I know it's not a great description but I think she calls it that because it resembles a flamenco-type dancer swishing her skirt back and forth. I'll try and find a pic I can post later. Anyway, I have a lot to learn so thanks for the suggestions!

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: hamamelis I'm working on trying to get motivated in a place full of spinners, who are all miles ahead of me.. smirk

And trying to work on moving better..

Just point and laugh when they get things wrong... thats what I always do.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: RainbowmaryThanks for the response MotherNaturesSon. It kind of involves flipping your poi back and forth behind you, then to the front. I know it's not a great description but I think she calls it that because it resembles a flamenco-type dancer swishing her skirt back and forth. I'll try and find a pic I can post later. Anyway, I have a lot to learn so thanks for the suggestions!

I dunno, sounds like hip reel variations of some kind.

hug

Wraith_DividendSILVER Member
Bunny Bane
205 posts
Location: i cant see because my head is up my posteria, Engl...

Posted:
Hey im new and im trying to get BTB two beat weave but i just hit myself in the head does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this?

if life is for love then to love is to live
-
a quote from me!
-
god i love me
-
and i while typing this im just itching to get back to my toast
-
YAY TTTTOOOOAAAASSSSTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
-
oh and by the way you just lost the game

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Make sure the poi are straight when spinning at your sides. If tilted, when you move them to the other side of your body they will hit you.

As for what I am working on:
Choreographing a routine for a performance in May. This will be interesting....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

RainbowmaryBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonOriginally Posted By: RainbowmaryThanks for the response MotherNaturesSon. It kind of involves flipping your poi back and forth behind you, then to the front. I know it's not a great description but I think she calls it that because it resembles a flamenco-type dancer swishing her skirt back and forth. I'll try and find a pic I can post later. Anyway, I have a lot to learn so thanks for the suggestions!

I dunno, sounds like hip reel variations of some kind.

I'll do some investigating on that. Thank You smile

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Trying to get a variety of moves down for a high school talent show in middle of april...and then making them all go together and look ok while moving.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

helena big earsstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hey, i've only been spinning for a month or two and don't know that many moves yet!
but i'm really trying to get my planes straight and having trouble with wall planes. They're MOSTLY straight but as i'm now trying butterfly and variations i find it looks a bit poo cus the poi come nearer to my head at the top of the spin because i don't seem to be able to get my hands in the right position! *breathe*

Page: ......