Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I didn't know there was more that one... The stalls in the anti spin where one goes up and one down...

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I assumed it was the one I'm doing in this video, at the point it should jump to (44 seconds in) but it could be another type. None of the others are so intuitive with vertical stalls, though. ^_^

#t=44s

Same direction split time wall plane antispin flower.

As you can see I do horizontal stalls with a plane change, but you can of course do it with just horizontal stalls and change the direction of the antispin flower. ^_^

hug

787 posts

Posted:
Yes that is the one! I have been working with the vertical ones because of how much slop my upwards ones are. Also added floaters to the regiment and what I like to call "turn physics" where I'm working on all turn types in all planes and time signatures including pirouettes/pivots, but also jump and arabesque.

Thinking of making a tutorial on turn physics because no one has thought of it because it's helpful to anyone trying to find the sweet spot in many body positions, gotta figure out some more combos and explanations for it to be worthwhile though... ubbidea

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Shakin mah bootay! Lol actually just more body movement and footwork as well as varying what I do more and it's making progress. Because when I let completely loos I can get kinda repetitive and forget a lot of things and I'm working on not forgetting things.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

MaurEzekielBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
Low reels. I can do stuff like fountains and spiral wraps (barely), but I am having some serious difficulty with these damn low reels. And buzzsaws too.

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitShakin mah bootay!

That's where it's at!!! yes

~Rock on!~

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceOriginally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitShakin mah bootay!

That's where it's at!!! yes

Unless you're a real tech spinner. Then you plant your feet, lock your hips, and do whatever takes the longest string of poi terms to describe. (This jab coming from the person who argues that 0 beat, one petal antispins are defined :P)

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
censored my life up the censored! I can't do antispin flower turns cleanly anymore cry I never stopped practicing them, it just doesn't work anymore. Well, looks like I'm working on this now. Also, never try continuous spiral wraps with no gloves. It burned my wrist, not badly, but it still hurts.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
There seems to be a stage like that learning certain things. I keep going "yay, I can do a forward btb 3bt!" the ten minutes later I try again and keep hitting myself before I can even make it through a spin. Things sometimes get unstable...
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1277530880)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah I could do it for about a month and now I can't...

787 posts

Posted:
When my body gets fatigued and my brain gets fried I think nature tries to teach me common sense by having me nearly bludgeon myself into oblivion (especially in this hot weather) doing moves I've pulled off many times I've noticed.

I'm in a new stage of learning where I tell someone "I can't do this kind" and try to demonstrate how I wasn't meant to do it only for it to come together on the first try...

Now I'm trying to practice what I preach when I teach people the basics "THINK LESS!!! FEEL MORE!!!" so I'm getting gutsier in practice. Mind over matter in most cases! blush

~Rock on!~

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Orbitals, all about the orbitals. I pulled it off successfully for the briefest moment yesterday which was a surprise.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
orbitals are amazing i have ben working on all kinds of variations including using orbitals as a transfer from move to move doing orbitals in different planes

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm currently cleaning up my orbital somersault. I can finally get my legs all the way up smile

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i would like to see that in a vid

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
ditto

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

2,280 posts

Posted:
I showed it off at the guild practice today, good reactions smile

MaurEzekielBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
Orbital somersault? That sounds badass. This I have to see.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I may get to makin a video today for a tutorial for EoN and maybe show some things at the end. But first I need to video myself doing it to see how it looks because I still haven't seen it laugh3

Edit: Ok I definitely have my terminology wrong. i definately cannot do a somersault. I think what I'm doing is a one handed cartwheel. Sorry for my bad terminology, I don't speak dance grin
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1277992361)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Back to working on some hybrid flower variations I never really developed, including Jon's hybrid flower 360 thingy. Having difficulties with some of my plane switches (split-same in wall plane, horizontal stalls into split-same floor--obnoxiously finnicky transition), so still hammering away at those. Also I can occasionally pull off a btb weave turn, and trying to make them less occasional.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm finally making more noticeable progress in meteor after yesterday. God yesterday (first day of meteor) was getting really really frustrating. I still need serious work on keeping the heads separate with my left hand and learning to lead with the back of my hand was a real censored And spinning it in place is getting much better before it falls apart tongue2

Also, does anyone know where I can get wooden cubes? The person at the hardware store reacted like I was a crazy person looking for wooden cubes.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
how bout childrens blocks? or would that be to big?

2,280 posts

Posted:
o0 quite too big. I went to the Lowe's nearby and got some 2x1" wood and 2x1/2" wood and I'm gonna make a couple 2.5" cubes out of it.

787 posts

Posted:
I finally made my first decent fire spinning video and I feel I should refocus my efforts on seamless transitions involving more static and pendulum type motions now able to analyze the view from the outside.

I'd love critiques to aid my choreo on technical and creative aspects so please check out my vid here (in video forum), on the facepage, or on my youtube channel "epitomeoflame" and let me know what you think! smile

~Rock on!~

MaurEzekielBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
Crossers. Coming along nicely. Nick's tutorials are amazingly helpful.

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
-"back planes"
-snake sweep
-cat-eye

ninja

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
As of now, getting rid of using weaves so much. I have a fair bit of tech and a bunch of good transitions, but I fall back into a 3bt weave half the time. I need to get serious about my wall plane, learn some decent "holding patterns" or "safe moves" that are more symmetrical and open, and get used to doing more of my transitions from there. I think even just shifting my defaults over to reels/*mills would fix half the problem...

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Reels tend to be my defaults now.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
I need to use weaves more, as well as fountains. I also need to use the "Matrix Move." Basically revisiting what I practiced the first couple months to incorporate it all into my style. Also I need to get better at floorplane antispin. It's going to kill me, but I must do it laugh3

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i always tend to use everything i know when i spin dont know why but its a good way to keep in practice but right now i am trying to come up with new stuff that looks cool

Page: ......