Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Playing with a third poi. My goal for now is to find a way to do two overlapping butterflies.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hold it in your mouth. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
One hand do a one handed butterfly and the other hand move it in split time to the others grin But idk how that works when it comes to tangling.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The poi on the outer edge would be spinning in the same direction.

hug

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
That's what I figured. Right now I think my main challenge is plane control and my timing getting slightly off in the one-poi hand. I may also need to use counterweighted poi so I can sling one over my shoulder properly. To keep one out of the way now all I can do is wrap it, which usually goes awry when I start moving my hand.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
If you can do 2 in 1 hand, you can just do 4 poi at once, positioning the two in the middle to overlap visually.

hug

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i am currently tryin to do a btb butterfly weave and i'll tell ya what it pushes and tests your flexability to the max(also skull and collarbone durability) but so far it has been fun trying if anyone has done this or has any tips that they think might help i am all ears or eyes cuz i will be reading lol

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

CalibudGOLD Member
φωτιά
49 posts

Posted:
btb forward and butterfly. naturally i can do the 3 beat weave btb backward, cant even get started going forward.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i can do a btb 3 beat forwards reverse and turn with them and a behind the back butterfly now i am workin on the butterfly weave btb and its a pain in my censored

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Air wraps: after 30 hours or so I can get them with my right hand (counter clockwise) 99% of the time and with my left hand about 50%.

Hooray!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
btb bf weave? Hmmm....

TABjugglerSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
Played around with some negative space tonight, having just learned what it was.

Didn't really get too far, but it is definitely something I can just screw around with when I am bored. I'm sure I'll come up with something neat.

I am also working on triquetras and in-spin flowers
EDITED_BY: TABjuggler (1291290428)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Returning to isolations. Realized I'm far more limited with them than I'd like (never actually learned to even do a proper isolated buzzsaw fountain), and they're an easy way to make poi mystifying and hypnotic.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Isolated buzzsaw + moonwalk. Doing them at the same time proves quite difficult for my head brain.
Especially when I'm isolating glowsticks. (glowsticks is a great way to practice isolations)
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1291527035)

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Worked on a TTN weave (I think), or perhaps it was just a butterfly weave, but it felt like TTN.

Also worked on cleaning up my airwraps when moving from side to side.

Trying to learn this "inversion" thingy, and hitting myself in the face alot.

Also worked a bit on doing: Poi in Split time opposites + arms in split time opposites (reverse from poi) doing two wall plane 4 petal anti-spin flowers... (not really sure if this has a shorter name)... and then from this working on transitions into 3 petal anti-spin flowers pointing either right or left.

^ Hope that last one there makes sense and you understand it the way my brain sees it. lol

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
The flower pattern you describe is just a split-opp wall plane antispin flower (once you specify antispin that automatically tells us which way your hands are spinning relative to poi; and if you only mention one timing/direction it's usually taken to mean both hands and poi are in that timing/direction--at least as I read things). And then you describe the funky and entertaining "slicing" (my word for it) of the flower into split-opp triquetras.

TABjugglerSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to get my triquetra with a full extension of the other hand.

I've also been playing around with just turning with basic butterflies and threading needles, since I mostly neglected that it seems.

I have also been playing with 1 handed butterflies and seeing how I can move it and me while doing it.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Thanks Sister ^_^

I'm much more clear with juggling terminology than I am with poi.

I've never really hung out with many poi people in my time that knew more than I did (though I'm trying to rectify that), so I lacked the proper poi schooling. =)

Tonight, I tried to figure out the "butterfloop" but to no avail.

Still working on cleaning up things I was working on in my previous post.

Trying to break things down and understand exactly what some of these moves are made of.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Weekend here without rain, so I'm off tricks and working on movement / dancing. I asked a friend who's a professional dance (not a known name) about improv.

She suggested working on movement 'phrases' - groups of 3 or 4 movements I can link together well, and assemble into longer sessions. Also on picking a performance space and aiming to move to use all of it rather than standing more or less on the spot.

It's helping. smile

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
That's still something I'm working on learning myself, Jameth.

I've always thought poi and juggling can look great when you stand in one spot (especially for a youtube type video), but for stage, use of space is very important.

2,280 posts

Posted:
@TABjuggler: Try doing 1 handed hybrids. It's quite fun.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
@meshunderlay - relatively static works for vids, for live stuff I think some movement helps, particularly for poi.

I have no professional aspirations, just want to have fun at parties / festivals.

TABjugglerSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit@TABjuggler: Try doing 1 handed hybrids. It's quite fun.

I'll play around with it, sounds like insanity.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
.... Crossers today....
After a while of playing with these I feel I am getting.... HIT IN THE HEAD.... Stupid planes.... I'll show them who's boss!....

Also Inversions... getting hit somewhere different with those... maybe I should shorten up my poi a bit.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: meshunderlay.... Crossers today....
After a while of playing with these I feel I am getting.... HIT IN THE HEAD.... Stupid planes.... I'll show them who's boss!....

Also Inversions... getting hit somewhere different with those... maybe I should shorten up my poi a bit.

I hated learning crossers. Can't count the amount of times I've hit myself in the back of the head.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Yup, I mean... I'm getting better at meltdowns, so I figured that should help me a bit, nothing so far.

I really need to work on getting a practice space with a mirror.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Those eventually clicked for me when I realised that they were a possible transition between forward and reverse weaves.

I think Nathaniel did a tut looking at them that way. Which would have been helpful a few months before.

2,280 posts

Posted:
There's a tutorial that shows a meltdown is broken down into 2 smaller meltdowns. What I've normally heard what we normally call meltdowns is "mind meltdown" or "wallplane meltdown." I prefer "mind meltdown" if I' talking terminology because there are a lot of different meltdowns and wallplane meltdowns.
Here ye go:

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Exuro's vid helped me a lot when I was learning the meltdown. I recommend it, especially since the wheel plane meltdown is relatively simple, and thinking of a wall plane meltdown as a wheel plane meltdown turn is a pretty logical way to approach the move.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
You know, the same thought had crossed my mind earlier today.

Meltdowns getting easier...

Starting to work on random transitions to get the feel for them, mostly between same direction and opposite during different moves/stalls. My mind and arms hurt... need a break, and actually, I could use some time spent around other spinners sometime soon, to talk 'shop' as it were.

Page: ......