Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...2021222324...28
VampyricAcid
VampyricAcid

veteran
Total posts: 1286
Posted:Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Delete Topic

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

owner of the group property
Total posts: 1277
Posted:As of now, getting rid of using weaves so much. I have a fair bit of tech and a bunch of good transitions, but I fall back into a 3bt weave half the time. I need to get serious about my wall plane, learn some decent "holding patterns" or "safe moves" that are more symmetrical and open, and get used to doing more of my transitions from there. I think even just shifting my defaults over to reels/*mills would fix half the problem...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Reels tend to be my defaults now.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
Total posts: 2280
Posted:I need to use weaves more, as well as fountains. I also need to use the "Matrix Move." Basically revisiting what I practiced the first couple months to incorporate it all into my style. Also I need to get better at floorplane antispin. It's going to kill me, but I must do it laugh3

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Delete

Midkiff
shadow stranger
Total posts: 462
Posted:i always tend to use everything i know when i spin dont know why but its a good way to keep in practice but right now i am trying to come up with new stuff that looks cool

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

Posted:I use everything I know, too, but I can't always do the techiest things I know. I just got into the habit of using a weave to fill space because it makes tracking some throws easier. But it looks dull.

Delete

Midkiff
shadow stranger
Posted:but if you are performing for people who dont spin they think it looks awesome lol

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Delete

EpitomeOfNovice
EpitomeOfNovice

Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
Total posts: 787
Posted:I'm trying to make my fountains more fountainy and less triangular, also gaining control of my flowpoi trios and learning club moves with them switching between club and poi smoothly.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Delete

[ Unregistered ]
addict

Total posts: 413
Posted:-meltdown reverse

ninja

Delete

JoshDG
Total posts: 49
Posted:Basic simple hand wraps.

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Being more creative with simple concepts.

Delete

Khaos
Khaos

2 words "Laser Poi" The conversation just ended .
Total posts: 25
Posted:3bt btb weave cant seem to get that to work.

5bt weave just cant get the wrists to work right

We who know chaos do not fear it. We Embrace it and control it.

Delete

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Currently working on a thingy. Looks like it will need a cross-armed CAP to work though, which will be entertaining on its own. Will post more if and when it comes together.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

UnTameOne
stranger

Total posts: 2
Posted:trying to get into a btb weave from something else.. also getting my planes right for antispin flowers.. my left hand is so bad when it comes to flowers.

Delete

Smurf24029
Smurf24029

Poi Master Smurf
Total posts: 343
Posted:Originally Posted By: UnTameOnetrying to get into a btb weave from something else.. also getting my planes right for antispin flowers.. my left hand is so bad when it comes to flowers.

Known as retarded left hand syndrome within my group of friends.

Also I am working on breaking carry over stalls

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Btb crosser meltdown is my goal now.

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

Posted:Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitBeing more creative with simple concepts.

That's the ongoing challenge, innit?

Still playing with atomics, and now also floor plane CAPs. Also trying to step up to more complex throws.

Delete

Rossta42
Rossta42

stranger
Total posts: 17
Posted:Delving in to the wonderful world of pendulums. Just starting to get the 1.5bt weave. Funny though I have been doing some basic pendulums (on left or right but not crossing over) for some time and can happily do a pendulum to Hyperloop combo. Now I need to work on playing with the heights so I can do a pendulum fountain(or whatever it is called when your arm does a circle while staying in pendulum motion)

To spin is to live!

Delete

Midkiff
shadow stranger
Posted:currently working on a up stall meltdown almost have it down smile
and also found something strange can go from reverse butterfly hip reels and up stall with my right hand and collide the 2 into a orbital

EDITED_BY: Midkiff (1284661339)
EDIT_REASON: new happenings

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

Posted:Hm, I should break out my poi that are good for orbitals and try that. I played around a little with orbitals from 1.5s and floats, but this makes me think of some things I didn't try.

In other news, did an accidental split time butterfloop and it was actually pretty fun. Need to duplicate it...

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Slit time butterfloop, you need to have one hand over the other. Try doing it like the Pacman twist. That'll turn heads of other spinners wink The Pacman Floop?

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

Posted:Yeah, I can get the tangle part fairly often, but getting it to pop out like the regular buttefloop is a little more challenging tongue2

Delete

poismylove
poismylove

poi addict
Total posts: 196
Posted:working on throws and drops, just for fun. supeduperooberloops or whatever there called, a bunch of different trifoil stuff and still trying to get that 4 petal antispin flower down grrr... and just improving on what i already know i guess. oh and im trying to learn to talk "poi" i gues youd call it... sorry if i mess up the names of the moves

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:I would have to agree that getting out of it is a bit of a different story...

Delete

jessica_varnfield
stranger
Total posts: 6
Posted:at the moment im still trying to get the hang of flowers, though it a slow process, isolations and perfecting the hyperloops, they ar main focus though i like to play around with a few other things inbetween.

Delete

Paddington Bear

Total posts: 118
Posted:a wall plane btb crosser weave thingy, cant remember its proper name and cba looking it up. isolations, flowers in general, and my own wall plane stall wrap thing to change direction as opposed to using spiral wraps. not sure if anyones tried it yet but i like it. also trying to cut out the extra beat between my butterfly pendulums

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Delete

Paddington Bear

Total posts: 118
Posted:that and remember i have a new piercing and not doing neck spiral wraps anymore. ffs my ear hurts

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Delete

McKenzie_Cullen
The Undead Otaku Llama
Total posts: 1
Posted:i have all the basic stuff down but now i am working on reverse butterfly...i hate that thing with a passion but its slowly coming together. im cleaning up isolations as well. just got done perfecting weave smile that made me happy. after 2 months i feel i have accomplished alot :]]
EDITED_BY: McKenzie_Cullen (1285290552)

"My reputation is already made. I set my standards and lived up to them long ago. What you do with yours remains to be seen."

Delete

Midkiff
shadow stranger
Posted:plane changes from same direction wall plane to wheel plane and vice versa and also same direction wheel plane to opposite direction wall plane waist wraps finally! behind the head pendulums for a direction change for whirling purposes smile air wraps have never actually learned them yet stalling from orbitals and out of orbitals polyrhythm stuff stalls from meltdowns a up stall meltdown a up/down stall while in meltdowns to switch directions and much more than i cant remember at the moment

Delete

EpitomeOfNovice
EpitomeOfNovice

Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
Total posts: 787
Posted:Anti-spin... That is my top priority here lately! Anti-spin...
ninja

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:I don't really know what to work on now. Maybe different things I can do with only one poi. I think that would be pretty cool. Also working more on my contact juggling and need to buy a devil stick! Getting body rolls down with a 3 inch ball, which I was told woud be near impossible so tongue2 to them.

Delete

Page: 1...2021222324...28