• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...2223242526...28
VampyricAcid
SILVER Member since Jun 2005

VampyricAcid

veteran

Total posts: 1286
Posted:Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Delete Topic

poismylove

poismylove

poi addict

Total posts: 196
Posted:working on my style, i think i need one haha.

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

Delete

Runemist34
SILVER Member since Oct 2010

Runemist34

stranger

Total posts: 17
Posted:I'm trying to get the corkscrew and the windmill...I think that's what they're called. And, also, I'm trying to get the reverse 3b so I can turn with the 3b weave and still keep it going.
...I should actually be spinning my poi more than once a month!

Delete

Midkiff
BRONZE Member since Nov 2009

shadow stranger

Total posts: 462
Posted:i am workin on btb weave turns and flower turns atm and they are a pain

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Delete

Paddington Bear
SILVER Member since Jan 2010

Total posts: 118
Posted:ive lately built up a repotoire of basic and intermediate moves accross the different move groups so need to work on flowing between moves and building qa routine to music

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Delete

Sister Eleven
GOLD Member since Aug 2009

Sister Eleven

owner of the group property

Total posts: 1277
Posted:Playing with a third poi. My goal for now is to find a way to do two overlapping butterflies.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

aston
SILVER Member since Dec 2007

aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League

Total posts: 4061
Posted:Hold it in your mouth. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
GOLD Member since Oct 2009

SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want

Total posts: 2280
Posted:One hand do a one handed butterfly and the other hand move it in split time to the others grin But idk how that works when it comes to tangling.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Total posts: 2418
Posted:The poi on the outer edge would be spinning in the same direction.

hug

Delete

Sister Eleven

Sister Eleven

Posted:That's what I figured. Right now I think my main challenge is plane control and my timing getting slightly off in the one-poi hand. I may also need to use counterweighted poi so I can sling one over my shoulder properly. To keep one out of the way now all I can do is wrap it, which usually goes awry when I start moving my hand.

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Total posts: 2418
Posted:If you can do 2 in 1 hand, you can just do 4 poi at once, positioning the two in the middle to overlap visually.

hug

Delete

Midkiff

shadow stranger

Posted:i am currently tryin to do a btb butterfly weave and i'll tell ya what it pushes and tests your flexability to the max(also skull and collarbone durability) but so far it has been fun trying if anyone has done this or has any tips that they think might help i am all ears or eyes cuz i will be reading lol

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Delete

Calibud
GOLD Member since Nov 2010

Calibud

φωτιά

Total posts: 49
Posted:btb forward and butterfly. naturally i can do the 3 beat weave btb backward, cant even get started going forward.

Delete

Midkiff

shadow stranger

Posted:well i can do a btb 3 beat forwards reverse and turn with them and a behind the back butterfly now i am workin on the butterfly weave btb and its a pain in my censored

Delete

Jameth
GOLD Member since May 2008

Jameth

enthusiast

Total posts: 378
Posted:Air wraps: after 30 hours or so I can get them with my right hand (counter clockwise) 99% of the time and with my left hand about 50%.

Hooray!

Delete

aston
SILVER Member since Dec 2007

aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League

Total posts: 4061
Posted:btb bf weave? Hmmm....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

TABjuggler
SILVER Member since Sep 2010

TABjuggler

Total posts: 26
Posted:Played around with some negative space tonight, having just learned what it was.

Didn't really get too far, but it is definitely something I can just screw around with when I am bored. I'm sure I'll come up with something neat.

I am also working on triquetras and in-spin flowers

EDITED_BY: TABjuggler (1291290428)

Delete

Sister Eleven

Sister Eleven

Posted:Returning to isolations. Realized I'm far more limited with them than I'd like (never actually learned to even do a proper isolated buzzsaw fountain), and they're an easy way to make poi mystifying and hypnotic.

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Isolated buzzsaw + moonwalk. Doing them at the same time proves quite difficult for my head brain.
Especially when I'm isolating glowsticks. (glowsticks is a great way to practice isolations)

EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1291527035)

Delete

meshunderlay
BRONZE Member since Sep 2008

meshunderlay

Juggler/Spinner

Total posts: 612
Posted:Worked on a TTN weave (I think), or perhaps it was just a butterfly weave, but it felt like TTN.

Also worked on cleaning up my airwraps when moving from side to side.

Trying to learn this "inversion" thingy, and hitting myself in the face alot.

Also worked a bit on doing: Poi in Split time opposites + arms in split time opposites (reverse from poi) doing two wall plane 4 petal anti-spin flowers... (not really sure if this has a shorter name)... and then from this working on transitions into 3 petal anti-spin flowers pointing either right or left.

^ Hope that last one there makes sense and you understand it the way my brain sees it. lol

Delete

Sister Eleven

Sister Eleven

Posted:The flower pattern you describe is just a split-opp wall plane antispin flower (once you specify antispin that automatically tells us which way your hands are spinning relative to poi; and if you only mention one timing/direction it's usually taken to mean both hands and poi are in that timing/direction--at least as I read things). And then you describe the funky and entertaining "slicing" (my word for it) of the flower into split-opp triquetras.

Delete

TABjuggler

TABjuggler

Posted:I've been trying to get my triquetra with a full extension of the other hand.

I've also been playing around with just turning with basic butterflies and threading needles, since I mostly neglected that it seems.

I have also been playing with 1 handed butterflies and seeing how I can move it and me while doing it.

Delete

meshunderlay

meshunderlay

Juggler/Spinner

Posted:Thanks Sister ^_^

I'm much more clear with juggling terminology than I am with poi.

I've never really hung out with many poi people in my time that knew more than I did (though I'm trying to rectify that), so I lacked the proper poi schooling. =)

Tonight, I tried to figure out the "butterfloop" but to no avail.

Still working on cleaning up things I was working on in my previous post.

Trying to break things down and understand exactly what some of these moves are made of.

Delete

Jameth

Jameth

enthusiast

Posted:Weekend here without rain, so I'm off tricks and working on movement / dancing. I asked a friend who's a professional dance (not a known name) about improv.

She suggested working on movement 'phrases' - groups of 3 or 4 movements I can link together well, and assemble into longer sessions. Also on picking a performance space and aiming to move to use all of it rather than standing more or less on the spot.

It's helping. smile

Delete

meshunderlay

meshunderlay

Juggler/Spinner

Posted:That's still something I'm working on learning myself, Jameth.

I've always thought poi and juggling can look great when you stand in one spot (especially for a youtube type video), but for stage, use of space is very important.

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit

SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:@TABjuggler: Try doing 1 handed hybrids. It's quite fun.

Delete

Jameth

Jameth

enthusiast

Posted:@meshunderlay - relatively static works for vids, for live stuff I think some movement helps, particularly for poi.

I have no professional aspirations, just want to have fun at parties / festivals.

Delete

TABjuggler

TABjuggler

Posted:Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit@TABjuggler: Try doing 1 handed hybrids. It's quite fun.

I'll play around with it, sounds like insanity.

Delete

meshunderlay

meshunderlay

Juggler/Spinner

Posted:.... Crossers today....
After a while of playing with these I feel I am getting.... HIT IN THE HEAD.... Stupid planes.... I'll show them who's boss!....

Also Inversions... getting hit somewhere different with those... maybe I should shorten up my poi a bit.

Delete

JaredW
SILVER Member since Oct 2009

JaredW

enthusiast

Total posts: 375
Posted:Originally Posted By: meshunderlay.... Crossers today....
After a while of playing with these I feel I am getting.... HIT IN THE HEAD.... Stupid planes.... I'll show them who's boss!....

Also Inversions... getting hit somewhere different with those... maybe I should shorten up my poi a bit.

I hated learning crossers. Can't count the amount of times I've hit myself in the back of the head.

Delete

meshunderlay

meshunderlay

Juggler/Spinner

Posted:Yup, I mean... I'm getting better at meltdowns, so I figured that should help me a bit, nothing so far.

I really need to work on getting a practice space with a mirror.

Delete

Page: 1...2223242526...28