Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
im playing about with..

btb hyps, rev ttr to buzzsaw hyps, antispin buzzsaw compound circle hyps (:P nick), continuous tangle, flowers, btb double wrist wraps, multi-wrapping combo fun!.., stalls, releases etc.

im kinda going through a tanglelicious time right now..

its very tasty.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Millsmess with Poi.

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
can any body use one poi in one hand, and a short staff in the other? im tryin, but im not yet sure wat i can actualy do with it.
im also working on jugling balls wile i poi, one handed butterfly over the head, one handed weave, reverse 5 beat, and behind the back weave with turn.

The nite is nearly over, day is almost here. Romans 13:12

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
um, this mite make me sound abit dumb, but what exactly is ment by "anti-spin"? and no,im not new to poi, im just new to terminology. small town. u know how it is.

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
No, still stuck on huggies. hmmm. bumpage of old posts I think. Gahhh, I really should be revising.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
uhm... well, im trying to learn the btb weave, as i can do the btb butterfly, i want to be able to have NO problem with it. this btb weave is gonna bite me hard... i hate it but i need it... also working on some isolations, they are my favorite move but i just cant seem to do it within a weave or anything... the poi smacks me on the chest, then again, its stretchy....

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: albotross

um, this mite make me sound abit dumb, but what exactly is ment by "anti-spin"? and no,im not new to poi, im just new to terminology. small town. u know how it is.

anti-spin is basically moving your hands/arms in the opposite direction to the poi, for example and antispin flower is when the poi are moving forewards (or backwards) and your arms are moving backwards (or forewards)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
Isolations, flowers, btb weave.

this is whats in my head at work today:

Non-Https Image Link

xomspinnernewbie
5 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to get the Windmill... not that it's working or anything but I keep trying biggrin

-- Support Creativity, Don't Steal It --

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
I'm working on Hybrids....it's a brainfuck...
And also on changing from infinte hyperloop in weave pattern to butterfly hyperloop and things like this without going outo of yhe hyperloop...

Acciaio devil

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
 Written by: RaveRepresent

Not exactly sure what the move is called... but it is an air wrap stopped by your hands and rolled back to the opposite direction, rolled to the other position, etc etc etc..

I always call it a 'tick tock' as it looks just like a devilstick tick tock. I've been working on doing hyperloops that go into one of these and then back through a reverse hyperloop then out.

There's a couple of things that are driving me nuts at the moment: btb waistwraps, turning btb weaves, btb butterfly weaves and much under leg stuff.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
im working on waist wraps and a smooth exit from BTB Rev Weave, i can go in fron Rev weave smooth but get all cack handed trying ways to come back out.

*looks around for volunteered advice*

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
trying to get my reverse butterfly right with thread the needle aswell and windmills.

Ive sorted the forward butterfly and windmills but reverse is so much harder. Also trying to learn the tuck turn and flowers. Not sure, i think ive already go the tuck turn though

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
feckin 5beatweave... i will get it someday!

also basic throws, btb throws and wraps

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Right now? Well just today I realised you can do a Buzzaw with the poi spinning in opposit directoin and TTN those in the wheelplanes.

Never heard people talk about that... might be beacuse it's old... Or new...

Cheers!

632 posts

Posted:
Do you mean butterfly buzzsaws Mireneye? They'e a very useful trick, as they're used for flowers and for getting into butterfly hyperloops. I'm trying to work out how to invert them, but it's decideldy hard.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ive been doing mills mess with 2 balls and one poi.. ubbrollsmile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Yea that's probablly it. However when i'm doing it, i'm actually doing that TTN motion where you really go up and after your arm to let it spin half a circle (as with TTN, hope that made sense). Somehow I'd like to think that Butterfly Buzzaws are easier... Since you don't do the "over and under" thingy.

I think I never understood what inverted means in poi terms? could you explain it (just a simple move that can be inverted) ??

The things I do know about is... Antispin, Isolations, Clockwise and Counterclockwise, The different planes, and a fair bit about atomics. So where does inverted fit in ??

Another thing i'm completely oblivious about is Nexus... What does Nexus mean in poi terms ??

Today, I've only tried to tidy up my body turning while stalling poi, nothing special.

632 posts

Posted:
A nexus is the point where 2 poi are tangled. It is the centre of spin for an airwrap (static nexus) or a hyperloop (mobile nexus)

Inversions are inside out or upside down moves, I can't explain them at all, so I'll leave the description for [Old link]

However not sure i understand your description of what's going on. Are your poi spinning in buzzsaw plane or in the wall plane?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
2wibbling biggrin

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

2wibbling

...me too...I'm hateing my left hand ubbloco

Acciaio devil

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
Isolations, airwraps and UTL ^_^

(and turns in BTB too -_-''')

Oh, and flowers too ^_^
EDITED_BY: dawn2dusk (1150106398)

***Feelings are anarchist - I feel - I am an anarchist***

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sketch

im working on waist wraps and a smooth exit from BTB Rev Weave, i can go in fron Rev weave smooth but get all cack handed trying ways to come back out.

*looks around for volunteered advice*

i come out of btb reverse weave into chasing the sun, or mexican wave or somthing

envienewbie
8 posts

Posted:
5 beat weave and thread the needle smile But ive got a blister on one finger so am gonna have to put them on hold a few days! frown hehe

x

on va danser?

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
3bt butterfly weave (which is melting my brain), working on cleaing up my flowers, and experimenting with antispin. Also trying to get btb forward weave into btb backwards weave. Can do the other way round, just not back again..... Tidying up my isolations too.

Sambo

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

wolfbro001SILVER Member
77 posts

Posted:
flowers, airwraps, reverse 5bt, reverse ttn, antispin flowers in all planes (looks so cool when they're clean, especially in buzzsaw)

splintynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
BTB turns, UTL BFs and UTL weaves, nailed the infinite hyperloops last night so im well happy. gonna start on reverse TTN and isolations soon

"If you roll a pencil is it still stationary?"

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
hyperloops backwards. garrrr.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Sun_Puppymember
31 posts

Posted:
Weave and butterfly turns. ubbrollsmile

SingInTimeBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
I learnt some nice moves in the last few months: some BTB waistwraps, flowers, the reverse isolated buzzsaw, the 4beat windmill etc. etc. Now I'm trying to put them toghether and being able to use them in a routine or while doing some freestyle...

And then I MUST learn the turns while doing the windmill!

A sick plant in the garden of Eden

Page: ...