Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Polyrythmic Crossers

ShanerGOLD Member
22 posts

Posted:
-waist wrap pirouettes
-straight jacket pirrouettes
-isolate EVERYTHING(ugh,...)
-hybrid weaves
next stop, hybrid reels ubbloco and so on
and after that i'd say i'll probably try to get my flowers looking a bit better and work on transitions once it gets warmer and i can start practicing outside, i havent practiced in ages so i've alot of catching up to do...

if carrots made u drunk, rabbits would be pretty f***ed up

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
ive just learned 1.5's and im currently working on Straight jackets, almost got em, if anyone has any hints muchly appreciated

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Still trying to get turning antispin flowers, after 2 months of trying. Also, working on antispin split time butterfly flowers, and btb wallplane weaves (can do waist wraps already).

And then, go back and drill the basics, with an emphasis on cleaning my planes up (I'm incredibly sloppy).

smile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Hybrid, Backward 1.5, Butterfly 1.5.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

sxsk17BRONZE Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
polyrhythmic weave patterns, and some isolations. I've been working on isos for a while, and right now I'm working on the isolated weave.

which, btw, if anyone has a link to a good video of it I'd love to see it. I've found it in a few other videos but never as a demonstration.

AuroraJonesnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
I'm just starting to spin, but there's this video of a low turn on this site, and I figured out how to get the going the opposite direction, but not the way the video says.
It's almost what's in the video, but I reverse them on different counts, and I can't for the life of me get them on the same one.
Anything like this happen to anyone else?

The only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos, don't care if you're tattooed or not.

AuroraJonesnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
This the kind of iso video you're looking for?

Are they fun to do? They don't look like it. smile

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/3_16_73

The only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos, don't care if you're tattooed or not.

sxsk17BRONZE Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
that's a buzzsaw isolation. I have those down and I have a buzzsaw variation with one hand outside and the other inside, so practice outside isolated spins in preparation for the weaves. and I'm kinda getting the weave, just very slowly and confusedly

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
i been trying to isolate huggies which makes u look like your having some kind of fit, also jus bout got isolated weave, and btb hyperloops

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
The passing of the poi, changing from one beat on the front while one beat on the back with crossers ( huggies ) keeping it isolated is perhaps the most difficult part of that move.

I've been working on it on and off for weeks, and i still do one normal beat and one isolated. eek

I need to buy myself a pair of more obedient poi. Anybody know any cheap obedient poi that will work for a very tiny salery? ubbangel

ShanerGOLD Member
22 posts

Posted:
*sigh* i had forgotten how carried away i get, i'm drifting off this week towards different throws after being inspired by chutney's throw combo's, lotsof pendulum combinations being inspired durbs 1.5 stuff (https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/728123/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1), and still working on the isolations/hybrids, and waistwrap/straightjack stuff smile

if carrots made u drunk, rabbits would be pretty f***ed up

UstuloTerrastranger
19 posts

Posted:
butterfly throws executed under the leg in front and behind the back

AuroraJonesnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Got a question... Could I post a video of myself working on this new turn so you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong? How would I put the video in code to post? Or link it...

I'm working on a pretty basic turn, I just started, and I can do the turn, but I can't get them on the same beat. The right hand ends up a count behind the left hand. I'm using the video from the Low Turn section of the Beginner's part 2 in the Lessons.

Anyway, how would I post a video? I need criticism! No one here dances, so I can't just go ask someone like a normal person.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i think there are some people who spin in your area
[Old link]

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I'm working on...
...actually getting out to spin lol

might try waist wraps or practice under the leg moves. but its too cold outside and I don't wanna smash the light bulb again lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
I am working on becoming more confident with fire, after i did my first burn last night.

also trying to learn (minus the fire!) TTN...

i think i kinda have it, find out tomorrow.

noadotooBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
I'm working on starts of spinning one hand forward, one hand reverse.
I can do it easily now if i start them with some delay, but the whole "starting at the same time in two separate directions" is more difficult!
I find i have to sort of swing my arms a few times and think about it before i actually start spinning.

And I'l like to find out how to reverse directions easily from spining in two different directions. Any ideas??

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
heaps of throws and wibbles and contact (getting my not-holding-the-poi-at-all-ometer up into the minutes range).

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Well, here you go with actual theoretical aproach:

Code:
-Star theory
-Flower in flower thoery
-Olos arc theory
-Goofy timing thoery

Some move to denotate:

Code:
-Pinwheel
-Footwork
-Plamspin
-Introversion
-Notcoleman3,
-Float
-Comb-over

Stay tuned, more to come.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I'm starting to work on tangle releases with limited sucsess and experimenting with what i call internal and external flow.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

SeoulLovernewbie
8 posts

Posted:
This summer I think I'm going to review the basics. Then work on some ideas with partners (lifts, body balances) and choreography.

Any suggestions for lifts?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Foot work, hand shapes, movement, hand stuck, driven by my elbow (or butt or whatever), floor shapes. heart

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Continuous same direction split time throws (5 my best so far)

A solid, reliable and pretty (!?) anti-spin backwards 3bt.

Sparklygreenfire*Green Spirit*
201 posts

Posted:
I'm working on antispun, forward and reverse flowers...altho got them now really, just trying to do alt antispun flowers with much frustration.

Improving my waist wraps...cos I manage to move to each side prolly twice then end up whacking myself!!

Using Isolations more in my movement, and seeing how many different ways, angles and limbs I can throw my poi up/under/over..

Generally just playing lots and having fun!! biggrin

Are you a robot...or an alien?

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
trying to get a BTB airwrap.
I've got the tangle and the wrap but the exit eludes me which is a B#&@H

Also working on a fwd BTB weave coz a fwd BTB fig8 just ain't enough

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dizzypheonix

trying to get a BTB airwrap.
I've got the tangle and the wrap but the exit eludes me which is a B#&@H

Also working on a fwd BTB weave coz a fwd BTB fig8 just ain't enough

i actually found the 3 beat easier confused gave me more time to move my hands...

currently working on hybrids and some wierd crosser inversion thing that Bluecat was showing me on sat night

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I'm working on getting off HoP and doing some work redface

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
7bt fountains and polyrythmic flowers but thats only because I'm in a really tech mood (and rather drunk :P ).

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

DJ AmanSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
Arm wrap using the arm opposite of the poi into a BTB (more like behind the Shoulder) hyperloop.

Page: ......