Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Mostly workin with movement and body spins these days. Usin Yuta's video as inspiration, tryin to get some longarm spinning and that sweet lookin windmil 360 body spin. Pretty much got it, just needs cleaning. Also lookin to Oli and Ros videos for inspiration on movement (that Ros is freakin eloquent in movement).

Aside from that, cleanin up my 360 isolation:
left wall plane forward iso -> forward buzzsaw iso -> right wall plane forward iso to left wall plane reverse iso transition -> reverse buzzsaw iso -> right wall plane reverse back to foward iso transition ..
that one is fun.

Still workin on 3bt btb weave.. but I feel/fear I'll be tryin forever to get that one consistent.. sigh..

Ahwell.. fun stuff.. looks like it might be a good thread smile

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
if i had any time for outside spinning i'd be working on antispun butterfly flowers... but scince i'm not, i'm using my time hyperlooping... i try to do outwards butterfly airwraps and hyperloops.. i also practice a lot the 180 hyperloop... like:
forward, splittime, same direction.
enter hyperloop from left -> exit to left -> turn 180 degrees ->exit to left ->untangle x2

thx for reminding about iso's. my fountain and 360 weave needs to be cleaner isolated....

gl hf!

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Poi - Anti-spin flower turns
Double Staff - Flats & Verticle Flats, more throws
CJ - Head rolls (Still)
Juggling - Back crosses

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
poi - rev antispin weave (and another idea i had in the bath last night to do with flowers that i'm not telling anyone about) tongue
balls - 4 balls above the head
clubs - 3 club bx's (still) and 4 club fountain

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oh...yeah, quarter-time-arm flowers, but they're very ugly and I don't think really worth learning smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
...unless you reverse them to antispin whenever you have a petal at nine or three o clock.

Depending on whether you were doing the upper or lower part of the circle this would either be a "we are sailing" or a "charlston"

smile

edit: i suppose i should say what i'm mainly working on at the mo then...

Poi: nothing new, polishing really. Sometimes trying to get the 90degree "box" plane transitions working. Oh, and trying to get control of the poi head so i can pop it through holes in my environment (like between railings n stuff), and skimming the head along vertical\horizontal\curved surfaces so it's almost touching stuff.

Staffs: different variations on antispin weaves with staffs in different phases, and switching between spin to anti by reversing the spin of the stick at different points in the pattern.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

and another idea i had in the bath last night to do with flowers that i'm not telling anyone about

Did you do it properly and leap from the bath shouting Eureka? Running down the street naked optional smile

Poi - absolutely nothing smile
Balls - getting more than about 40 catches of Boston Mess.
Clubs - snake things, mostly asynch forward and backward snakes. Trying to get my head around doing them horizontally too.
Staff - relearning everything I've forgotten (which isn't much, I didn't know a great deal to forget wink )

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Did you do it properly and leap from the bath shouting Eureka? Running down the street naked optional smile

unfortunately not - the bath was really hot and i was really tired so i laid in it for about another 20 minutes and then forgot all about it until just now smile

Written by: durbin

Oh...yeah, quarter-time-arm flowers, but they're very ugly and I don't think really worth learning

i tried them for a while too and came to the same conclusion smile

i also found that they required 90 degree turns (unless you have some very special shoulders)...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
grrrr.. stuck looking after the house today until 6pm, but working on:

poi: Cleaning up isolations (like I have been for the past 8 months and probably will do for the rest of my life)
The Giant Windmill pirouette (Suibom: I'm jealous: still have no idea where to begin with that one)
Similar, Congruent and Anti body movements with poi (I'll have to post on this sometime)
bhangra style moves
pirouettes
horizontal (floor and ceiling plane, I think?) moves, with plane breaking.
Transitions from giant to isolated moves
3bt buzzsaw weave
smoothing out my negative space thread the needle

staff:
trying to find interesting ways to spin without hitting myself, vertical plane contact moves, trying not to drop the staff or knock myself out

CJ: still working on the basics: stalling, balancing, forearm rolls, control of the ball, isolations

TEFL: English grammar terms confused

comics: how to draw characters

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
"bhangra stlye moves" confused

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Seen them already.

Awesome.

technically you could say they're more "bollywood" influenced than "bhangra", but the distinction is fairly academic.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
thank you mr. monkey. ubbrollsmile

they involve isolation, wiggling, a bit of giggling and much watching of the self in the mirror or one's shadow. Oh and too much spare time smile

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'm not really spinning much at the moment, certainly not putting any kind of effort in. But I'm still working on

Getting all four BTB waist wrap variants
Antispin weaves smooth to the point where the AS is actually at my sides like half isolations in weaves
Antispin waist wraps. And whether AS 2 beat weave actually has any physical meaning.
Atomics, but not very often
More inversions, but again not very often

And with balls mainly sorting out various 1-up 2-up stuff, it's still shoddy. Also just generally tidying up various things like chops and so on so moves are a bit smoother in general. I've given up on the box for now smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
Working on butterfly combo...damn that things a bitch, i keep going into the windmill... grrr angry
and started on some btb stuff, kinda got the concept of the btb buterfly the weave still confuses me though wink

One of the many Duncans...
Feel the burn... (in a good way) meditate

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ermmm... not really learning new moves.

Trying to improve the ones I already know, and learn how to dance with them.

(but it would be nice to be able to do the BTB waist wraps and those long arm stall things that fluff does so well in their new vid)

smile

Getting to the other side smile

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
in amongst everything else at the moment im trying to get atoms with my left poi spinning horizontally and my right one in a vertical plane, so far its not good. smile

ive got one all vertical plane atom fairly solid, but im still trying to get some others so i can turn and do something intrestingh rather than stand there and go ' wow atomic planes',

im just about to read the nx thread about atoms maybe thatll help smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
SHAKE THAT BHANGRA LAZY, SHAKE IT!!
aaah how i've missed your randomly funny moves that always seem to work and look good

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I finally met up with some more spinners last night down at Circus Soc, and had a chance to spin with Frodo, who's spinning's got me thinking about some variations on the waist wrap, and to try and do some controlled air wraps too. I also wanna start doing some more body and foot movements as I spin, but that's gonna take some time I think!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
a video!! ubblol

but as far as moves go: cleaning up my anti-spin flower turn. i lose the planes a bit on the reverse antispin.

giant longarm windmill pirouette -- i can do one rotation (finally!), but i'd like to be able to do multiple turns.

cleaning up my reverse spin-to-forward antispin spiralling flower. this was something i came up with ages ago but haven't really focused on getting clean till now.

anti-spin barrel rolls (not sure what people call them in these parts). basically a single-plane flower where the poi switch from front wall plane to back wall plane, but they never actually change planes, you roll your body around for the duration of the move. so the plane-change occurs by twisting your body rather than moving the poi. i have the regular spin down both clockwise and counterclockwise, but the antispin versions are eluding me and they kind of hurt.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
foot juggling.

head balances.

back of the elbow

behind the neck.

tomorow I get a unicycle....

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
poi-buzzsaw flowers, but taking my time over them, otherwise trying polish my other moves, and move with them better, mainly working on my transisions at the minute.

Diabolo-grinds and circular throws, particulary trying to do them round my leg without falling over.

clubs-got a simple three club cascade, just trying to get it solid now.

unicycle- given up for now, will get it out some other time when I feel like I might actually be able to do it and have somewhere to practice.

Uni + small flat + rain=very little practice time at the moment

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

And whether AS 2 beat weave actually has any physical meaning.

degree crossover spiral... a 2bt is a first degree and then a zero degree... the first degree is what is important because that first degree crossover is the only thing in a 2bt weave that can let you know whether its antispin or not..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
poi: freestyle bounce bounce2
I also had my first trials at atomic planes after reading Nix tutorial weavesmiley

staff: lots of throws juggle (keep on cleaning BTB throws)
painful multitaff manipulation ubbloco

I bought a devilstick devil
grouphug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nooooooooooo!!!!

Olive!! Stick with your beautiful poi'ing/staff'er action biggrin

It's beautiful smile

Devilsticks smell.

(unless you're DsAds or Dev Kev, in which case, the don't smell at all)

Getting to the other side smile

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Well I finished new version of reference Poi guide:

https://www.zonglovani.cz/images/stories/skolaatriky/lifeofpoiv10.pdf

and now I preparing self for juggling workshop with Poi staff staff in Slovakia next week.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
eek Good work Richee! clap

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
maybe i should be working on speaking czech!

that looks like a *lot* of work put into that book richee - congratulations on writing and completing it hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Well, first I was thinking to make a serious book about Poi. Like M.Khan and one another( thtat colourfull). But then I reallized that Poi world is changing every day and many new thing comming up, just right now smile. So now I made it as reference quide that will be uploaded untill I'll stop spinnig and its so far away. Idont thing its possible right now. smile

Im doing it for Poi community in Czech a Slovakia.

(Cole - Its very, very difficult biggrin)
EDITED_BY: Richee (1129112619)

POI THEO(R)IST

devilstarSILVER Member
blue haired pyrovixen monkey girl!
155 posts

Posted:
Poi: There's so many I need to nail: Btb, waist wrap, hyperloops, wraps, buzzsaw, throws & censored isolations, but right now it's stops, rythem & flowers, to give me a bit more freedom when dancing with 'em.

Staff: Not that much since I got me a hulla! But doubles with throws & contact moves are my current irratations.

Hulla: knee lift, ankle lift, issolations, body lift with the arms inside the hoop... & other stuff that i made up & don't know the names for.

balls: one day I'll do a 3 ball cascade for more than 5 censored seconds!

Trapeze: getting beyond a beginer & regaining the arm strength to do a high bird's nest again (it was sooo much easier when i was 10 years old & 2 stone lighter!)

devil Blue is best, blue is beautiful
If I knew what I was looking for, I would have found it by now, but that would take all the fun out of it. - me
I never wanted to be different. I just wanted to be me - bmeshop.com

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by: Richee

Well I finished new version of reference Poi guide:

https://www.zonglovani.cz/images/stories/skolaatriky/lifeofpoiv10.pdf

and now I preparing self for juggling workshop with Poi staff staff in Slovakia next week.

:R

Wow.. that looks like a killer resource! I only wish I could read it biggrin.

Very nice.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Page: ...