1stdegreeburnsGOLD Member
25 posts

Posted:
recently me myself and i all went to meet some frieds for a drink, but unfortunatly me got 2 drunk and myself thought it would be a good idea 2 get th fire poi out infront of friends but i broke his nose with the feckin things (no pain til th realignment of it had 2 b carried out) oooooh.....

boy was that sore

so has anyone else encountered the it seemed like a good idea at the time syndrome and come off worse than th fire? ubbidea

EDITED_BY: 1stdegreeburns (1128864173)

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
er....not really, i did end up in a phonebox at 5.30 am with two pizzaz with no recolection of how i got there or whaer i was........as for the pizza's how cares they where yummy

25 posts

Posted:
do u no what phone boxes are good for?
using my idiot common sense i would say their good for keepin phones in but then again theres nothing common about sense
5.30 in th morn , must have been really cold pizza . confused

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
that's the odd thing............it was semi warm still

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
*Aimée starts another winge on very drunk people*

drinking any amount of alcohol + fire spinning = BIG no no

Anybody who comes to the meets in Hastings who drinks excessivly and then wants to light up with fire gets a big shouting at. Bad, wrong, no.

You wouldn't drink and drive (I hope). So why drink and spin? For an already dangerous hobby you are increasing the risks more than tenfold.

And it sets a bad image for new spinners who think its cool to go and get ratarsed then go and light up, and then when, not if, they hurt themselves it sets a bad name for the rest of us who spin responsably.

Fair enough go and make yourself look like a fanny with some socks, or glow toys (preferably beamers, so I can laugh more when you conk yourself in the nuts) when you are blind drunk in front of your mates. But not with fire.

I hope it bloody hurt tongue
EDITED_BY: *Aimée* (1128871121)

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Absinthe + fire poi = 8 very nice screw shaped burns on arms. Not nice

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I have spun whilst drunk. Very stupid. Fortunatly, a lot of good HoPpers down at Falmouth took my staff away biggrin Huggles and stuff to them smile

Although to be honest I thought I was doing okay. One minor burn, and I was catching all my throws. wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, 1stdegree...

Congratulations. You hurt yourself. Fine. I don't care.

But when drunk and spinning fire you are putting everyone for miles around you at risk, too. How, you ask? Because what happens when your drunk arse let's fly a poi into a tree or a garbage dumpster? And then you're too piss-drunk to handle the emergency properly because you don't have any fire-extinguishing materials on you and you wouldn't be able to use them if you did because you're too impaired and YOU BURN DOWN A WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD.

Thank the sweet lord it hasn't happened yet, but it's far from impossible.

Think about that next time, K? soapbox

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

25 posts

Posted:
i think i have been a bit misunderstood here cause i am a responsible person with fire as i only spin on a beach or in fields whearas spinning with fire is not clever in built up areas or next 2 garbage dumpsters
i have lost control of my poi alot more just practising sobre and it hurt a hell of alot more too
and for all these people that do disaprove TOUGH cause the only way to learn properly is to learn from your mistakes and i still cant figure out why your pizza was semi warm but i hope it was nice
oh and its not a habit of getting pissed an doin it it was just one of those notions and again lesson learned biggrin

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
That doesn't justify anything.

Spinning drunk is bad.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Well thats resonably responasable, at least then you can only light your ass on fire then rolleyes

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: 1stdegreeburns

and for all these people that do disaprove TOUGH cause the only way to learn properly is to learn from your mistakes

No, that's not true.

You can learn by listening to others, learning from the mistakes of others, and take sensible precautions whilst doing so.

You can learn fire spinning to a high degree without suffering any burns or scarring whatsoever.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Agreed OWD- too many spinners get into fire spinning with only the very basics established, leading to much of the 'trial and error' style 'learning' implied above.

Written by: Doc Lightning

what happens when your drunk arse let's fly a poi into a tree or a garbage dumpster? And then you're too piss-drunk to handle the emergency properly because you don't have any fire-extinguishing materials on you and you wouldn't be able to use them if you did because you're too impaired and YOU BURN DOWN A WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD.

Imagine the consequences not just for the individual, but the wider fire spinning (and quite possibly ALL spinning) were something of the magnitude of what Mike predicted actually happened.

Should media interests be aroused then I wouldn't be at all suprised to see some knee jerk restrictions or bans on spinning fire in urban areas (obviously not a brilliant idea to start with but parks etc can be fine). Once public awareness is aware of the risks, paranoia can easily set in and before you know it, someone spinning socks one sunny afternoon is getting funny looks from scared members of the public.

Far fetched? Of course, but it doesn't take much to set these things off. Play safe and sober everyone smile

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
You mean you don't already get funny looks from members of the public when your spinning socks?

Damn, thats my excuse gone it must just be me.

On a more relevant note: Agreement with the sensible people. Spinning fire sober is enjoyable enough that you can/should be anal about not spinning drunk. Your not missing anything, except yourself and thats a good thing.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: 1stdegreeburns

i think i have been a bit misunderstood here cause i am a responsible person with fire as i only spin on a beach or in fields \

So there's nothing in a big, grassy field that can burn?

Like...say...grass? Especially when your drunken foot knocks over your fuel dump.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
i agree with aimee its a big no no....you could set a whole place on fire and give other people around you bad burns...or worse, singe your hair!

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

Colin Jsmall member
116 posts

Posted:
*Walks in with a joint from another forum*
PING!

Dressed in BlackBRONZE Member
A Fire Inside
191 posts

Posted:
maybe that reefer will make everyone stop ranting......i think we have the point of fire and drunkness covered from all the angles, and i think everyone has been remorseful enough. let's chill people...

::: I LiKe pLeAsUrE sPiKeD wItH pAiN - MuSiC iS mY aErOpLaNe :::