DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I've now joined the juggling society at uni, one of the safety point that was said was:

"Metal lighters are fine, but if have a plastic lighter don't keep in your pocket - Some guy lit his poi and put the lighter in his pocket. He got the poi caught around his leg, the light exploded and took his leg with it."

It doesn't sound very likely but a pressurised container of flamable liquid melting/exploding is, I'll admit, not a safety consern I'd thought of.

Is there anything in this?

-- And why is there no spell checker on the main "post thread/reply" subpage, only on the "quike reply" box?

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I highly doubt that to be honest. Unless it was leaking... and *really* big.

I think a mod mentioned they'd look into it. -edit- the spelling thing that is

If it bothers you, send a PM to Malcom or Dom smile
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1128797359)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
a small plastic lighter taking off somones leg??

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Those were the words he used though I agree, it doesn't sound very likely.

But the idea of a pressurised container containing flamable liquid breaking open that close to a naked flame is slightly worrying

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
The only time i've seen a plastic lighter explode was when someone purposely threw it really high into the air and let it impact onto the ground.

I don't know how an exploding plastic lighter can take someone's leg off, but I was just wondering, on the safety issue, shouldn't someone be lighting your poi for you and not you lighting your own poi?...therefore you shouldn't really have a lighter in your own pocket while you're spinning?...
I might be overeacting, but I'm not taking risks with fire, since I forgot to wear a hat on my first burn and i singed my hair ubbcrying

Respect the fire biggrin

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I burn my hair the whole time. biggrin

I light my own staff often. And if I'm having a quick lil poi spin on my own (which hardly ever happens anymore) I light myself up. shrug

I don't think there's anthing unsafe with having a lighter on you. Still, better safe than sorry smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Maybe we should send it to 'mythbusters' wink

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
it'd be easy to test, some old jeans, a block of polystyrene, a lighter and some fire poi, if it obliterates the polystyrene, then its probabily not safe tongue

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Well, lighters have been known to explode in peoples pockets. Usually due to a leak, gas buildup, release (as pocket is opened to get lighter) and light (as I've heard the story). Here's some more on the subject:
https://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/lighters.htm

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Claim: Spark from a welding arc reaches disposable lighter in worker's pocket, causing it to explode and kill him.

your own source, and a welding arc is gonna be a lot hotter than a burning fire head

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Yeh, Id also have to say that a plastic lighter blowing someones leg off is highly unikely. I think at worst they could get a little bit of lighter shrapnel stck in their leg. Still, I always get someone else to light for me. Fire is fun, but can be dangerous if not handled properly. devil

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
You are a pirate!

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i dunno, the gas that is squeezed into one ofthoselighters is v compressed, if you've ever thrown one at concrete they blast the metal bit miles, so maybe if there was fire involved, it could do a lot of damage

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
My bro and I burst one once by accident, the explosion wasnt big at all and there were no flames, but now that you menton it the one we used was almost empty, so maybe if it was fuller it would have had more force.

You are a pirate!
You are a pirate!

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
well if you just throw it at the floor there arent gonna be flames, but you involve heat and fire, the pressure would increase until the plastic shattered and then the gas would ignite

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, I sort of forgot about the heat part. ubbrollsmile Exactly what type of gas do they use in lighters anyway? (might be a stupid question but iv never actually thought about it before)

You are a pirate!
You are a pirate!

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

it'd be easy to test, some old jeans, a block of polystyrene, a lighter and some fire poi, if it obliterates the polystyrene, then its probabily not safe tongue

erm, fire is gonna obliterate the polystyrene anyway, it being a polymer and all.

perhaps wood, or a rock.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
mand = great idea!! biggrin anyone know how we send stuff to mythbusters!?!?

i never leave my lighter in my pocket when i twirl...i always chuck it on the ground somewhere. umm not sure why...but it seems to make sense...& then if someone else needs a light they can go get the lighter!! ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
Solution: HOP Zippo

And i've seen lighters thrown into finished bbq's or bonfires on a regular basis...I don't see them taking a leg.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
yeah but the polystyrene in the jeans with the fire outside the jeans, it would probabily melt a little but not become a puddle instantly

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
mm lighters in bonfires are more a pop than anything else.... i dont think disposable lighters have the power of dismemberment.... but they could probably do some damage in the wrong situation....

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
note to self...

do not bite a lighter....

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

CheesemasterJaknewbie
9 posts

Posted:
surely one of those plastic lighters couldn't do a leg!
theres not the right fuel! that fuel burns not explodes.
Although under pressure some explosion is to be expected, so, it would burn you and put plastic in your leg.
And at pocket height! OUCH! ubbcrying

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I need a signature thingy.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
lets not think about what is at pocket height *shudders*

I'm cool I got a metal bunsen burner lighter for playing with fire.

biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.