GlitterBubbleSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
1. Are fire snakes/rope poi a bad idea for a relative beginner to be playing with?? Should I just wait until I work up to them a bit more?

2. Are Kevlar sleeves a good thing to wear, as I am really loving to do heaps of wrist and arm wraps, but haven't tried them on fire yet. I know the fire doesn't hurt if it's a quick contact, but I would rather be relaxed about it. I'm still nervous!

3. Are there any morals/rules on using a move that is (possibly) unique to someone else but you just think it's so pretty and can do it too? I would always admit that it wasn't mine, but I don't want to be rude by ripping off someone elses hard work. biggrin

Thanks for your advice!!!......

I love HOT chillies!

*me: Guess what? I'm learning how to eat fire!
*husband: well, you do love hot food.....

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
1. Ropes are probably not a great idea with fire if you've just started/don't feel confident. Practice with them with all means. But those bad boys can give off a lot of heat and flame.

2. Its all about confidence. If you don't feel ready to try wraps, don't try 'em. Ifyou feel ready, but feel you need a few precautions, get those sleeves and practice with fire til lyou feel more confident. Don't go rushing into things though. Take your time smile

3. I don't do poi much anymore, but whenever I see a staff doing something that looks bad ass, I'll try to mimic it. If I see someone trying to copy me, I smile about it. Its almost like a complimrent, ya know? IF you see som,ething ya like, try to do it. Better yet, go over and ask how they did it.

With poi and staff, there is no "unique move" as such. In fact, I'm sure a poi jedi will come in here soon and tell you there is no move wink

-edit- Probably a good idea to mention that I'm not much of a poier, and that someone else is bound to come and give better advice smile
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1128596342)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
1) Same as 'eee said.

2) Kevalr arm gauntlets are a silly idea. But I only think this now I now why it is a sily idea. I used to think it would be a good idea, but alas, it turned out to be a silly idea. The thing about why we use kevlar, is that we can soak it in parafin, set it on fire and it wont conbust. If you do a wrap with kevlar arm gauntlets, the parain could saok into theem from the poi heads, leaving your arm on fire.. Although it wount hurt for a bit.. it would be.. "silly"

3) Steal/ copy/ learn/ borrow all you want. There are no movements that anyone an do these days, wcih someone has never done before. devil

smile

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i use arm gaurds all the time jon, i got mine from dunc, and yes sometime when you have not spun off right, the fuel can light on your arm, but a fast weave will put it out, or a pat with the other hand.......

ive never had a huge prob, and as its kevlar, its only the heat that tranfesrs through, and its not that bad...you dont burn if you do it right

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I got mine from the same place.
Can I now go and laugh at simian who told me that?!?! Cos i reckoned using them would be fine too, but when simian explained what migt happen, i was more inclined to believe him ubblol

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
there is no move only the space created in the mind

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

GlitterBubbleSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
OK, so lighting the sleeves on fire is not a goal of mine. Thanks for letting me know, but neither is branding bare skin with hot chain. How about just sleeves in general, eg, make a pair out of cotton lycra (?) or something, or just go without and wrap away and stop being such a chicken?

I love HOT chillies!

*me: Guess what? I'm learning how to eat fire!
*husband: well, you do love hot food.....

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
If you want arm protection from branding, try something that isn't absorbent and that doesn't conduct heat too easily, but is fairly thick.

NO SYNTHETIC FIBRE CONTENT!! You may end up with some melted plastic on you which scars, can maim, and is unbelievably painful.

Leather springs to mind as a good, non-absorbent material with the right properties...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yup,

cotton sleves (like socks!) are a good idea

or bare skin aint that bad, especially if you do it near the start of the burn (things get hotter with time, the flames are more scary but the metal bits are cooler erlier on...)

its like the first time you put a fire torch down your trousers, you do it with extra long wool socks and a pair of shorts underneith, but eventually realise its no sweat and you happily burn your pubis off in the name of entertainment...

or is that just me?

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:

1) Snakes are hot big and not yet.

2) No opinion

3) Some people will occasionally try to bluff you that they can 'own moves'. Such things has even been said on this site. Bless them, wish them well and move on. It's like owning a dance step or a vocal trick. Someone might have made it 'famous' or in a context that is particularly memorable (Michael Jackson?) but owning? nah. If you can do it and it makes you happy, and your playmates or watchers like it, enjoy. (It is a bit like dance/song anyway, it's the sequencing and rhythm of how moves are put together that can be really pleasing in a performance sense...)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, thats the way it is with moves, try and do any diffrent (even if you ARE the first) and you become Micheal Molson.

questions!

1) snakes are heavy man, work up to it.

2) see above, dont spend money on kevlar sleaves if your worried, use long sleved hoodie or anything cotton, but more important than this is LOSE THE FEAR OF FIRE. If you get caught when wrapping (happens a lot) dont panic, relax and you will shrug the poi off no probs, If you panic, you will probibly just tug at it, and make thigs worse. Ive seen some great burns and heard some amazing stioies but ive never heard of anybody dying from poi EVER. firebreathing yes, poi no.

3) I would follow street etiqete about moves. If your performing with someone who has such a signature trick, even if you can do it you shouldent (unless its coreographed) becuase thats thier thing, you can learn any move, but how would you feel if you were makiing a fire show with another spinner one day, and they end thier spin with exactly what you were going to do for your 'never-fail' gran finale...

Otherwise, steal it all, here, take this funky atom thing...

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't lose the fer of fire... I'd just learn to live with it.

Respect the flame an all that. wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
If you couldn't copy moves there would only be two people in the world doing poi.....

One doing butterfly and one doing weave!!

Heavy natural fabrics I find best for wraps (my hoodies and combats) but only because my arm gaurds are too tight and squeeze my arms! Again don't use synthetics, they melt and its REALLY not good.

If you're going to use ropes then practise unlit. You'll be suprised how heavy they feel. biggrin

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i tend to keep hoodies away from spinning, hoods + BTH stuff not a good mix, ive never caught it, but i wouldnt like to

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?