Forums > Social Chat > how do y'all carry your poi and fuel around?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Brigemember
10 posts

Posted:
I'm looking for a good bag and fuel container so I could easily carry my things with me where ever i may go! what exactly do you guys use? Where did you get them? or how did you make them? The bag i'm usuing now & the container i hold my fuel in suck...too much spilling and way too messy..thanks!

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Well, I use Coleman, so I just keep it in the case it comes with. I shove both my fuel and my poi in my northface backpack, which I bought about 4 years ago. It has two holders for waterbottles, so I can put my poi in there, though I usually stick them in the bag with the fuel. Nothing fancy I'm afriad.

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Well my poi comes off my chains super easy....thanks to the wonderful little connector piece Malcolm uses . So I just carry my fuel around in a paint can with my poi soaking inside. My chains go in my knapsack or pocket (always with a few tennis balls for practice )

*~SunSpot~*

Om Namah Sivaya

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
My connectors are actually pretty tough to open, so I just leave my whicks on my chains all the time. Which is fine, I enjoy practicing with whicks and chains.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
well, as I love to tell people, I don't DO poi... however I am an avid short-double staffer. My wonderful friend Dangerboy bought me a really cool fake leather second hand golf bag, which I carry all my goodies around in. It's the perfect size - fits all my staves, fire extinguisher, towel, fuel, funnel and a container.

My bag's name is Diedre.

I love her very much

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Fishing bag. Fuel on one side (5L firewater). Poi, billy and stuff on the other. Long strap to carry the bag on my shoulder. Got a staff bag to carry staves and clubs in.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
I keep my fuel in the containers I buy them in. My poi and extra wicks go into this large metal bucket we got at dollar world

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Currently a small rucksack, with two of the 4(?) litre paraffin cartons.

One carton is full, the other has the spout cut off and another half a carton jammed over the top like a lid.

Dunno what I'm going to do when I get a staff though.

Magnus... pay it forward

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
well i use a maro shopping bag so im finding this thread very interesting. im thinking of going op-shopping for new poi carriers/clothes etc...

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Hockey stick bag - it's a good length (about 1m), and fits my short doubles and collapsed staff in the main section, with ball pockets on the outside for various sets of poi. No room for fuel, though

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I don't know if this will mean anything to anyone outside the UK, but I use a Tesco Bag for life carrier bag.
For some absurdly small amount of money, you get a fairly strong carrier bag. If you break it, they'll swap it for a new one and recycle the old one for no money at all.
My current one has lasted ages so far though, I've had it for a few months and I've not had to swap it yet.

At the moment, it contains 1 plastic gallon bottle of fuel, 2 metal sig litre bottles, 2 sets of firepoi, a fireblanket and the bottom half of a plastic gallon bottle to soak my poi in.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jello:
Well, I use Coleman, so I just keep it in the case it comes with
i come with a case now!!???!
good sig jello - fits perfectly here

like the liquidcowsimian here, i use the good old tesco bags 4 life too (just some extra strong carrier bags). i have my fire poi with the wicks wrapped in normal carrier bags though.
however, being a ponce i want one of these to carry my poi in:

Non-Https Image Link

shame clive don't deliver internationally yet
anyone fancy acting as a usa-to-uk router for me?!!

[ 16. November 2002, 03:36: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I just keep all my gear in my car. My fuel lives in its can. My pois live in an empty paint bucket (with lid) that I got at a hardware store (US$3.00). That keeps them from drying out and serves as a fuel dip. My little fire extinguisher lives in my car, too.

When I need to go somewhere far from my car, I just stuff what I can in a backpack and carry what doesn't fit in my hands. I'll usually borrow a water bucket where I'm going, if at all possible, although, having said that, a water bucket, wet towel, AND fire extinguisher is belt-and-suspenders. You can get away with just the towel and the extinguisher in a pinch, but you can never be too safe, KWIM?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by coleman:
i come with a case now!!???!
good sig jello - fits perfectly here

hehe, cool, thanks

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Someone suggested to me a long time ago to use a metal 1 gallon paint can. I found that you can buy them at the local hardware store for about 4$ American and I also found a nice metal small bucket for transferring the fuel to the poi, they use them in the states for putting nails in at a construction site. As for the fuel I bought a nagaline bottle from Dube juggling. What I also carry with me is a 15 gallon plastic paint bucket, which BTW I fill with about 6 inches of water and put a wet towel in it as well, ya gota love safety equipment, and dual use stuff. Not only is it usefull for storage and carring but it's also useable for a safety device.

Another bonus is since a paint can is almost air tight it's doesn't smell like fuel.

So what I do is put the towel, dry and folded, in the bottom of the 15gal bucket, then 1 gal container with my poi in it and the fuel bottle next to the paint can. Fits nice in the trunk of my car, and the best part is that if anything gets lost or trashed it will only cost about 100$ American to replace everything.

1 gal Paint can 4.00$
Metal nail container 3.00$
15 gal plastic bucket 12.00$
Nagaline bottle 15.00$
1 set Fire poi 65.00$
towel 5.00$

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I carry my fire poi in an old metal biscuit tin with a lid, which doubles up as a dipping tin and the lid is especially useful should my fuel be ignited. To carry fuel I use a 25 litre container to bring it home in, I then decant it into either a plastic 5 litre container, or a small steel 500ml container which was given to me by customs and excise. I carry these, a wet towel and my fire eating torches in a cheapo rucksack from my local market. In the pockets of the rucksack are some Savlon antiseptic cream, a botttle of lavender essential oil (great at reducing the pain/blistering of minor burns), Plasters, a lighter and a supply of plastic bags in case anything springs a leak.

Are we nearly there yet?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
an extinguisher is used 'just in case'. i dont have one but i do know what to do if someone is one fire but generally the best thing to do is to put the fire out as soon as you see it...ie rolling around on the ground saying calmly:
"oooh..isnt this interesting. i appear to be on fire. it hurts rather a lot. yes....i belive my skin is melting"

i just sepereate my chains from my wicks and bung my wicks in a nutella jar...they are the perfect size to hold 2 4" wicks in side by side so that way you dont have to use as much fuel! athe only problem is the lid...a its plastic it can sometimes unseal itself and leak over your bag........as has happened to me once...i reaked of parafin for the rest of the year.

[ 20. November 2002, 02:21: Message edited by: THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIRE ]

clairebearmember
52 posts
Location: jersey - Little rock, not quite there and almost h...

Posted:
We keep a metal trunk in the Van with all our stuff in, a couple of metal "tiffin" tins to keep chains and stuff in, a bucket for dipping, an extinguisher, towels, bottle of water, various clubs and spare wick and a small tool kit. It's great because it can be carried fairly easily, and can be used as a seat and it's lockable so we can keep stuff secure.
The tiffin tin things are the best though as you can put fuel in them with your chains and theire cute to carry round.

Be Cautious of who you sniff, they could be an EnemyBig love and fluffy rainbow light in bundles. Bear xxx xxx xxx

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Wow, many great solutions to common problems. There are some clever people around here.
A couple of points: I don't like the way the fuel pours out of the coleman can (it splashes all over), so I transfer it into a red plastic fuel container, using a big funnel. And I keep it deep in the trunk (boot).
Our permit and insurance requires us to have a fire extinguisher present. But even before we came out from under the radar, we always had one promenently displayed to reassure the public. We are in a high fire danger area, and a poi up in a dry tree could be a little hard to put out with towels.
Like flash fire, I also like golf club bags, the kind you zip up. They hold an amazing amout of gear, and have an outer pocket running the length of the bag you can stick your staves into. I have cable poi, so to keep them straight, I fasten the rings at the top and run them down the length of the inner bag.
I have two such bags, both bought at the second-hand store. One is for my fire toys; the other for the troupes fuel-up gear.

peace,
Maximus

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
I keep my fuel in vials ( convienient for fire breathing, and keep the vials in a shock absorbant vial case used for nitro glycerine, over board yes, small and compact, very(havn't done fire poi yet, so i don't need to use a container)

i keep my poi in my backpack, just any old mountain co-op hiking bag

Dicipline Focus Damage

woodymember
99 posts

Posted:
I have a small rucksack from an army surplus store for my poi, 2 dunk containers (one inside the other) a tray and towel, with a fireblanket in one side, water in the other and lemons anywhere they will fit . I carry paraffin in a 20L jerry can

20L might be a little excessive for one person burning... as anyone who has met me knows, I am free with my fuel so anyone can use it at a party. £13 investment in fuel is nothing if you are going to a banging free party

Luv and Lemons.WoodyMrs Jaypher said, 'It's saferIf you've lemons in your head;First to eat, a pound of meat,And then to go at once to bed.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Sithlord - I have never set myself or anything around me on fire. But being a responsible and professional firedancer means that I am prepared for the worst, which means I carry and extinguisher. A lot of my firedancing is done in the Australian bush - a very dry place to be at the moment. Wouldn't you rather be a little over-cautious and carry and extinguisher, or would you rather be the sole cause of a massive bush fire?

After you spend a little more time on HoP you will come to realise that we are generally all safety conscious. I am probably the least safety conscious of many of the professional performers around here, so be warned! You haven't heard the first of it!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FoxFiremember
90 posts

Posted:
I use a big hard-plastic storage container that fits in the back of my truck. Inside it is another smaller plastic container that contains the following:

1)small plastic container that holds my first aid kit (bandages, gauze, burn ointment for light burns, aloe vera, ibprofren, etc.)

2)lighter

3)old wool Army blanket for putting out fires/poi

4)pliers

5)bowl (for holding fresh water to wash with)

6)(1) 1:A 10:BC fire extinguisher

The larger container holds:

1)empty paint buckets (3) for dipping and storing wicks

2)fuel bottles (4) for storing extra Coleman fuel and lamp oil

3)ground torch (for like a patio or garden, used for easy poi lighting)

I also carry 3 water carriers (they're long cylindrical tubes w/bases and handles that Dad found; use them to carry fresh water) I have an old Military water carrier (like ya see on the back of Jeeps in the movies) that I can use if necessary.

quote:
I can't understand why you need an extinguisher?
The fire extinguisher is there in case something catches on fire that a blanket can't put out, or if putting water on it would be a bad idea (i.e: fuel spill on fire) You don't use the extinguisher on a person unless absolutely necessary (use the blanket and water first). Even then, you'll need to be at least 6ft away to use it and have the person's face covered. Here is a little bit more info on fire extinguishers.

Deuteronomy 31:6
John 15:9
Luke 6:22

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
"Safety" should be the watchword of the fire community. We understand and accept that what we are doing is risky and dangerous. That's part of what makes it so friggin' COOL!

Having said that, a fire extinguisher AND either a wet towel or a bucket of water (both, preferably) is a must. The fire extinguisher isn't for putting people out, but in case the poi should fly away and accidentally light something. Now, if you are spinning waaaay out in the middle of nowhere on the Playa at Burning Man, the fire extingiusher may be optional because there's nothing to burn out there. But what do you do when your fuel dump goes up, then? Wait for it to burn down?

You NEVER use a fire extinguisher on a person. People get buckets of water, wet towels, or stop, drop, and roll. Discharging a fire extinguisher at someone can cause serious injury (worse than the fire might otherwise have caused!).

You can buy little, itty-bitty, single-use extinguishers for easy portability that can put out most any fire you can accidentally set as long as you get to it when it's a small fire. Or you can lug a big, honkin', burly, strong fire extinguisher with six hoses, enough extinguishing agent to put out several forest fires, and "massage" and "waterfall" settings. But whatever you do, make damn sure that it will put out chemical and grease fires.

And what are you going to do about a burning poi stuck high up in a tree? Well, without a fire hose, there's not much you can do except hope for a sudden rainstorm. So the best solution is to stay well away from trees when spinning fire.

Hence, one towel with something to make it wet (an ocean is perfectly fine water source if you are spinning on the beach) and one fire extinguisher should always be in your kit.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I use a bag that the army uses to carry rifles for my staff and the rest goes in a big rucksack. Gotta love the british army for coming up with useful things!!

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
yo, yo, big up the SAS massive

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I have a really cheap green canvas record bag that I bought at WOMAD year before last. It fits 4 litres of fuel, my bucket and my poi nicely.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i carry my stuff in a big paint tin(with lid), for my poi in fuel, an old armmy npt/ammo box for fuel amd other stuff, and stuff it all in a small duffle with a fire extinguisher and towel

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I just carry mine around in any bag that's lying around.

I made a little bad for my poi though. It has 2 pouches and a velcro seal thing, which keeps them seperate and makes for quick untangling. And my heads are a nightmare to get off so I just cut up and reswewed bits of socks to cover them.

And I sewed ribbons to thos so they look nice when I'm practicing. biggrin I'm such a girl.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Mand and I use a large rubbermaid container to carry my camp fuel, her lamp oil, our metal paint cans which we use to hold the fuel when we need to soak our wicks, our fire extinguisher, our fire blanket, our water bucket and three towels.

I also have a container the Houston Fire Marshals want us to use for transporting fuel we've poured into the paint tins. They don't want us to pour fuel back into the camp fuel back into it's container, so it goes into the big red, fire department approved can, with spring loaded top, and filtered funnel to prevent spillage when pouring. smile

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I just use the 5ltr plastic container that I buy the fuel in and a couple of Kenco jars.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Page: